Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status
The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep reimbursements moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that has been submitted per our instructions.
We're no longer accepting new participants as our focus is on reimbursing existing claims. Additionally, as of July 1, 2020, we will no longer accept new report submissions from existing policy members. Thanks for your understanding!
If you know anyone who can donate to this campaign please direct them to Expensify.org/donate.
We're currently experiencing issues with our American Express and Capital One connections. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.
I have all my frequent traveler accounts (airline, hotels, rental cars) set up with my personal email address since I use them for work and personal trips and I get to keep all the points, but I have two Expensify accounts (one for personal items connected to my personal email address and one for work items connected to my work email address). So, when I travel for business and I forward those receipt emails from my personal email address instead of from the work email address connected to my work Expensify account the receipts go to my personal Expensify account.
So, here is my suggestion for a future improvement to the Expensify mobile app (I sent this directly to Expensify through their help option, and they told me to post it here to see if enough people would like to see this feature)...
I use the mobile Expensify app on my iPhone for most expense uploads and it would be really convenient to be able to open my personal email account on my phone, find the email with the receipt attached and forward just the .pdf receipt to Expensify, by clicking on the "export" button on the bottom left of the screen, and then having the Expensify App show up as one of the programs you can export to. See screen shot below. If you agree, please comment and see if Expensify will add this function to a future update to their app. Thanks.
We have our policy set so that people cannot enter a report without completing all of the report fields. However since the report fields are "sticky" those fields are automatically populated with data after the first report has been entered, so users don't get a violation alert if they forget to put the fields, it just fills in what the last report was. Users are forgetting to change these fields and keep submitting reports with the same data as last time. It would be much easier if these fields started off as blank with each new report, so if the user forgot to enter the information they would get a violation
I have yet to receive my Expensify.org/hunger SNAP reimbursement; and I decided to check the forums. I just want to say THANK YOU for such an amazing gift to the people in need during this tumultuous time. I can’t express my gratitude for this kind and beautiful gesture. Yes it’s so many people in need and impatiently waiting....but your responses are kind and understanding.
Below you'll find a guide to how your bill might change from June 1, 2020 onwards, with some examples to match your use case.
Expensify’s billing is changing! In addition to removing Rate Adjustments and making Individual Subscriptions free (for most users), all billing owners who have not widely adopted the Expensify Card will incur an “unbundling fee” which will increase the per active user price starting June 1, 2020.
However, when billing owners bundle the Expensify Card with an Annual Subscription they qualify for discounts on their Expensify bill that reduces the unbundling fee and can keep the per active user price the same!
The unbundling fee will be phased-in and added to the per user price over the course of 12 months, starting with your June 1, 2020 bill. The phase-in will give admins the time needed to adopt the Expensify Card, sign up for an Annual Subscription, and secure their discount before the full unbundling fee is in place in May 2021. Admins on a current Annual Subscription will not incur the unbundling fee until they renew their subscription or the number of active users in a month exceeds their Subscription Size.
When you renew your Annual Subscription, you will incur the unbundling fee at its current phase-in-rate. For example, 1/12 of the full fee will be added on to your June 1st bill, 2/12 of the fee on your July 1st bill, and so on until May 1st, 2021 when the full fee (12/12) will be reflected on that month's bill. If you are not using the Expensify Card, you will not see unbundled savings in the form of an Expensify Card discount on your bill.
Check out the announcement newsletter for more details on the “why,” and find the example that matches your bill below for the “how.”
Bottom line: If you want to make things easy and keep your current price, sign up for the Expensify Card today and make sure you're already taking advantage of the Annual Subscription discount!
If you've moved all your expenses to the Expensify Card
You’re all good! As long as 50% or more of your company’s approved USD monthly spend takes place on the Expensify Card, you won't see a difference on your bill.
We’ve moved some expenses to the Expensify Card
In this case, if your Expensify Card spend falls below 50% of your company’s approved monthly USD spend, your unbundling fee will be determined on a sliding scale and a smaller portion of the discount will be applied to your bill.
For example, if your Expensify Card spend accounted for only 35% of your total approved spend for that month, you’ll only be charged 30% of the unbundling fee (double the spend percentage and subtract it from 100). This means you’ll see a discount added to your bill that will decrease the unbundling fee by 70%. If it accounted for 40%, you’ll be charged 20% of the unbundling fee because we’ll discount this fee by 80%.
Example: You have Control policies and a USD Annual Subscription which ends on October 1st, 2020 for 10 users. You have adopted the Expensify Card, but not for the majority of your company spend.
- On May 1st, nothing changes on your April bill.
- On June 1st, your $90 subscription for 10 seats ($9/person/month) remains the same, and will continue to remain the same until your subscription renews in October
- On November 1st, you have a new Annual Subscription. Expensify Card transactions only accounted for 10% of the total spend approved across all your policies in October. You pay $90 for 10 seats. Your full unbundling fee is an additional $90, however this is reduced by 50% due to November 2020 being halfway through our phase-in period. An additional 20% is discounted for your Expensify Card use. After these discounts are applied, your unbundling fee increases your total per use cost by $36.
- The phase-in unbundling fee increases consistently for the next 6 months, and you continue to be charged $90 for your committed seats per month, along with an unbundling fee of $42.00 in December, $48.00 in January, $54.00 in February, $60.00 in March, $66.00 in April and finally leveling out at $72.00 in May 2021.
We’re on an Annual Subscription for X users which ends in the next few months
The payment for your Annual Subscription won’t change until you reach the end of your subscription. When you renew your Annual Subscription, you will incur the unbundling fee at its current phase-in-rate. For example, 1/12 of the full fee will be added on to your June 1st bill, 2/12 of the fee on your July 1st bill, and so on until May 1st, 2021 when the full fee (12/12) will be reflected on that month's bill. Because you are not using the Expensify Card, you will not see unbundled savings in the form of a discount on your bill.
Example: You have Control policies and a USD Annual Subscription which ends on October 1st, 2020 for 10 users. You don’t have the Expensify Card.
- On May 1st, nothing changes on your April bill.
- On June 1st, your $90 subscription for 10 seats remains the same.
- On November 1st, you have a new Annual Subscription. You pay $90 for 10 seats plus an unbundling fee of $45.00 because November is halfway through our phase-in period ($9 x 10 users) x (6/12) is $45.00.
- Should the same occur for the rest of your subscription, you’ll be charged $90 each month and the unbundling fee will slowly increase to $52.50 in December, $60.00 in January, $67.50 in February, $75.00 in March, $82.50 in April and finally leveling out at $90.00 in May 2021.
We’re on an Annual Subscription but we have frequent users over/above it
The same as above applies to you, however during this Subscription, Expensify will add the unbundling fee only to your additional user activity, along with the existing charge at the Pay-per-use rate for these users. Remember, the unbundling fee is phased-in, starting at 1/12th the full fee from June 1st up to 12/12th the fee on May 1st 2021.
Example: You have Collect policies and a USD Annual Subscription which ends on October 1st 2020 for 10 users. You frequently have 5 additional users. You don’t have the Expensify Card.
- On May 1st, nothing changes on your April bill.
- On June 1st, your $50 subscription for 10 seats remains the same. Your additional 5 users incur the usual $10 per user and an unbundling fee of $4.17 is added to your total per user price (because June 1st is the very first month of our phase-in period and (5 users x $10) x ($10*1/12) = $4.17.
- On November 1st, you have a new Annual Subscription as well as these additional five users active. You pay $50 for 10 seats and $50 for the 5 extra active users plus the unbundling fee of $50, because November is halfway through our phase-in period. ($5x10 + $10x5) x (1 + 6/12) is $150.00.
- Should the same occur for the rest of your subscription, you’ll be charged $50 for your Annual Subscription, along with $50 for your additional Pay-per-use activity and an unbundling fee of $58.33 in December, $66.67 in January, $75.00 in February, $83.33 in March, $91.67 in April and finally leveling out $100.00 in May 2021.
We pay per user, per month
All Pay-per-use subscriptions will include an unbundling fee that increases at a rate of 1/12th the current Pay-per-use rate each month until it settles on May 1st, 2021.
Example: You have Collect policies around 20 active users each month billed in USD. You don’t have the Expensify Card.
- On May 1st, nothing changes on your April bill.
- On June 1st, you have 15 users active. You’re charged $150 at the Pay-per-use rate along with the unbundling fee increasing your total per user price by $12.50. This is because ($10 x 1/12) x 15 users is $12.50.
- On November 1st, you have the full 20 active users. You’re charged $200 at the Pay-per-use rate, along with an unbundling fee of $100. This is because ($10 x 6/12) x 20 users is $100.
- Let’s say you have the full 20 users active for the next 6 months too (and for some reason you choose not to opt for the Annual Subscription), you’d be charged the same $200 at the Pay-Per-Us rate with an incrementing unbundling fee of $116.67 in December, $133.33 in January, $150.00 in February, $166.67 in March, $183.33 in April and leveling out at $200.00 onwards from May 2021.
I only use Expensify to track my personal expenses
Great news! You’ll notice that for your June bills, we’re increasing the free monthly SmartScan limit from 5 to 25. If you consistently scan less than 25 receipts your Expensify usage when not part of a Group policy is now FREE. No action is required on your part. If you bought an Individual Subscription, feel free to cancel it!
Still have a question? Reach out to [email protected] for some quick support.
To see a full breakdown of all pricing options, visit our pricing page.
- Fast Concierge is here! (With a catch)
- What’s happening to my Expensify bill?
- Deep Dive: Breaking down your Expensify bill
- Deep Dive: How does Pay-per-Use billing work?
- Deep Dive: How does the Annual Subscription billing work?
- Deep Dive: Understanding policy types
- ExpensifyApproved! Best Practice: Managing Client Billing
Looking to get your client setup? Please follow the directions below!
Step 1: When setting up a new client you will want to start by creating a policy in the Admin section. Please click on the Settings > Group > Policies.
After clicking "New Policy" please decide if your team is going to control the billing or your client.
Looking to have your client control the billing? When creating a new policy please select "Create for another account". This will allow you to pass the billing to your client. Please add the email address for your client and the name of the policy. Don't see this option? Please reach out to our in-house chat solution to get this setup in your account!
The Accountant or Bookkeeper will control the billing, the policy owner will need to add a payment card for your company to continue using Expensify. Navigate into Account Settings, and select the Billing tab to add this information!
Step 2: After you click "New Policy" please name your policy by your clients domain name. Check out a short video on this here!
Step 3: After you have created the policy please walk through the inbox questions to finalize your rules for your client. Looking to setup another client? Please repeat steps 1-3.
What is a policy?
A policy is the set of rules, settings, and spending limits for expense reports in your organization. This includes the unique expense categories and tags, expense amount thresholds, currency and tax settings, etc. that all policy members will use. A policy will also define the approval workflow for your clients, as well as the accounting connection if you're integrating an accounting software. You can even set up multiple policies at no additional cost if you need to define separate groups with varying settings! Check out the differences here!
This tab allows you to name your policy and determine what plan you're on!
Let's set some basic guidelines for your clients policy. Broken rules will be flagged as violations.
Max Expense Age - how old an expense can be on a report
Max Expense Amount - how large a single expense can be
Receipt Required Amount - the minimum threshold for requiring receipt images
In the reports tab, you can set the output currency and enable automation features. Scheduled Submit will auto-create reports for clients and submit violation-free expenses at a frequency of your choice. All the client has to do is SmartScan receipts and we'll do the rest of the work for them!
Looking to integrate with your clients accounting system? Take advantage of our setup guides for Quickbooks Online, Quickbooks Desktop, Xero, NetSuite-SingleSignOn or NetSuite Token based authentication, or Intacct! Is your company using a different solution? Check out our supported connection guide here!
Looking to export reports into your accounting system? Watch our accounting integration videos to get yourself situated.
- Exporting into Quickbooks Online
- Exporting into Quickbooks Desktop
- Exporting into Xero
- Exporting to Intacct
- Exporting into Netsuite
Use the categories tab to enable/disable which chart of accounts are available for clients to code expenses with. If you'd like to set a limit for a particular category, you can do so by selecting the blue cog.
Use the People tab to invite new client to join your company policy. Check out our Approval Workflow Guide after you have invited your team!
Looking for Client training? Please check out our client training guide here!
Setting up a company Domain
Go to Settings > Domain > [Domain Name] > Company Cards > Import Card/Bank to add company cards. Once your cards are added, assign them to employees and set the transaction start date! Check out a short video on this here! Is your domain not verified? Reach out to our team for assistance! Also sign up for our company card administration webinar here.
There are five tiers of ExpensifyApproved! partners, based on the number of monthly active users that you help bring to Expensify. Increase your tier status by onboarding more clients and watch the discounts grow!
Looking for more information? Please check out our website here!
As questions come up, be sure to reach out to our customer success team. In order to do this please click on the portrait icon.
From here please click Help and Feedback.
Looking to reach out to us directly through our in-house chat solution? Please click on send us a message.
A conversation will start with our customer success team!