We're currently experiencing an outage with our Citibank connection. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Receipts no longer backed up on my Photos (iOS photos)

drhaazdrhaaz Expensify Customer Posts: 13 Expensify Admirer

Did I miss a communication from Expensify announcing that the app (iOS) no longer backs up the receipt pictures? This came up on a recent issue where 3 receipts were lost in transit. The employee said that whenever this happened he could look for the receipt in his photos... but that is no longer the case. Did I miss something?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,150 Expensify Team

Hello @drhaaz, happy to help. We retired this feature in October of 2017. We ended up seeing more complaints from customers who had hundreds of receipt images in their camera roll, and on iOS in particular it was not ideal.

Cheers!

• drhaazdrhaaz Expensify Customer Posts: 13 Expensify Admirer

First of all, that's the fastest response I've had from Expensify, ever. So, thanks for that.

1. I know you're doing a better job at notifying people on product updates, but this is a big one, I needed to know this and let our staff know their receipts are no longer backed up on their phones.

2. Camera roll nuisance or not, it was nice to know that if a receipt didn't upload correctly to your account you could look for it and re-upload. Is there any guidance on what to do if this happens now? Once every few months I hear from a staff member that the receipt picture they took doesn't show up on their account.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,150 Expensify Team

Hi @drhaaz, thanks for circling back to this thread.

I have a couple questions about how your employees use the mobile app, if you don't mind.

1. Are employees using SmartScan when they upload photos?
    2. For the missing receipts, is it solely happening on iOS, or are employees using Android similarly affected?
    3. Is there any pattern at all to the types of receipts that go missing?

Thanks!

Hi,

In answer to your questions

1. We do encourage staff to SmartScan their receipts. I'm not aware of anyone who has this disabled.
    2. All employees are under iOS. So, can't speak for Android devices
    3. There is no pattern, these are random. Just recently an employee had this issue for three receipts on Jan 10-11. He can't find them in his Expense Page and assures he took pictures of them.
  • tylerzolltylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 436 Expensify Champion

@drhaaz, I'm not sure what your policies are, but we allow folks to make up a receipt if they are missing one. They can just write it out on a sticky note and snap a picture.

Another variation is that you can make a form for an employee to fill out if they loose one. Here is an example: purdue.edu/business/boso/pdf/forms/lostReceiptAffidavit.pdf

Hope that helps.

Thanks, @tylerzoll.

We've moved to discourage staff from using post-its as receipts and we expect receipts of all expenses.

However, our policy won't flag a transaction without a receipt if it's under $25. Also, in this particular case, an employee is sure he took pictures of his receipts (on his mobile), then these did not show up on his account at the end of the month. The Expensify folder in Photos was a great way for staff to look back and re-submit any missing receipts.

In the end, it's an isolated situation. But I like the lost receipt affidavit for larger expenses.

Thanks again!