We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

Terminated Employee Expensify Process

liabeealiabeea Expensify NewcomerPosts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Does anyone have a procedure they follow once an employee is terminated and you have received their last billing statement? I have several terminated employees, but I don't know how to classify them, delete them, etc. I have searched the expensify help and find no useful resources.

Thanks,
Lia

Answers

• AussiebanditAussiebandit Expensify Champion Posts: 399Expensify Customer Expensify Champion

Hi @liabeea - your admin should have the ability to submit any ER's from them that aren't complete. We do this and then allow it to flow through approval and into our accounting package. Sometimes we have to manually activate the employee again in there but do so that the ER is in there correctly.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 1,992Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @liabeea, happy to help with this!

There are multiple options for how to handle termed employees in Expensify, but the option you choose will largely depend on your company's internal processes and how you're set up in Expensify.

In general we recommend waiting to remove termed employees from your policy until after you've approved, reimbursed, or exported their last report in Expensify. When you delete an employee from your policy, their Expensify account still exists, but they are no longer able to create or submit expenses on the company policy.

Additionally, you and any other policy admin who already have access to view the termed employee's reports will retain that access. You can search for reports using the termed employee's email address from the Reports page.

If your company has Domain Control validated in Expensify, a domain admin will have the option to delete the employee's actual Expensify account (by removing the employee from the domain). Some companies choose to delete employees from Domain Control, but others simply move the termed employees into a "Terminated Employees" group in domain control.

If you have questions about what is right for your team, let me know a little more about your setup and I can help!

• DaveweezDaveweez Expensify Aficionado Posts: 168Expensify Customer Expensify Aficionado

@Sheena Trepanier the user email changes to [email protected]@domain.com

I wish you didn't do that.

• rgondorgondo Expensify Newcomer Posts: 38Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

We had to terminate an employee abruptly and so he had several un-reported expenses. Now he is asking for reimbursement but I cannot see them (I am an admin). How can we resolve this?

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 699Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@rgondoAs long as the reports are on your policy, you should still be able to see them. If you reach out to [email protected] with the email address of the employee, we can take a closer look at the account to see why these reports aren't visible to you as an admin.

• DaveweezDaveweez Expensify Aficionado Posts: 168Expensify Customer Expensify Aficionado
  • rgondorgondo Expensify Newcomer Posts: 38Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Thanks @Nicole Trepanier but I am referring to un-reported expenses, which are not on any of the reports.

I did find a workaround but it has nothing to do with Expensify - Since we have access to his email we reset his Expensify password and logged onto his account and then added the expenses. This is a little intrusive, and we're just lucky that we didn't disconnect his email account already.

Admins should be able to view all the expenses under an employee's account, including un-reported expenses.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach Posts: 699Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Daveweez The reason deleted employees emails show up this way is so that the email is available to open a new account if needed.

@rgondo While admins can see un-reported expenses if they are pulled in from a company card, there is no access to expenses that aren't submitted. As Expensify gives a lot of focus to the end user experience, we allow users to create personal expenses as well even if the email they are using is linked to a company. These expenses aren't visible to policy admins unless a user chooses to add them to a report under the company policy.

Thanks @Nicole Trepanier for explaining. But as an employer who is paying the subscription fees for our employees to use Expensify, it doesn't make sense to me that we'd be blocked from viewing the entirety of a user's account.

It is also impractical for us to force everyone on to company cards. Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks

@rgondo If you use our scheduled submit feature, all employee expenses will be placed on reports. If you combine this with a domain control restriction to limit everyone to the company policy, all expenses will be place on reports under the correct policy and therefore visible to admins. Does this sound like it would work for you?

Hi @Nicole Trepanier - Does this automatically add un-reported expenses onto reports?

• Ted PeetersTed Peeters Expensify Success Coach Posts: 308Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

@rgondo - enabling Policy Scheduled Submit will not automatically add already Unreported expenses to employee expense report, but it will make sure they're added in the future, after you've enabled it - either with Manual submission, or no a submission schedule.