Is there a way to filter by only a tag or tag level that you specify? Or allow multi-select as well?

rgondorgondo Expensify Customer Posts: 31 Expensify Admirer

Currently, the view filter lists out every end node for multi-tagged expenses. However, this is not necessary all the time for me when I want to do reporting. We have 4 tag levels currently, and most of the time I only need to sort by one or two tags at any given time.

For example, one tag level is "Department" and another is "Location". This creates too many variants in the tag filter dropdown. Sometimes the view I want is just "Marketing" or "Operations"; other times we want to see by geography like "California" or "New York".

In the current setup, this results in too many variations that aren't useful. For example, I might have the following:
Marketing > TX
Marketing > CA
Marketing > NY
Marketing > PA
Marketing > WA
Operations > TX
Operations > CA
Operations > NY
Operations > PA
R&D > TX
R&D > PA
R&D > NY

When all I really want to query is:

• "What was the Marketing team's expense for January?"
  • "What was our overall spend in California last week?"

Thanks

0 votes

Not Developing · Last Updated

Closing due to lack of interest

Comments

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,317 Expensify Team

Hi @rgondo, happy to help with this. Sadly, filtering by multiple levels of tags isn't an option and you're only able to filter by a single tag and tag level.

We would be very interested in knowing if this functionality was popular with more of our customers though, and since you already have such a great explanation I'd like to move this to our Idea category.

Please feel free to share the Idea thread with your team members and peers if you think they'd also be interested in supporting it.

• AussiebanditAussiebandit Expensify Customer Posts: 256 Expensify Champion

Hi @rgondo - have you tried going to the chart tab in expenses, choosing all the filters that are relevant including tags (you can't multiple select but you can see all tags) and if you scroll down past the categories data, you will come across the tags data. You can sort this by clicking on the Tags heading. This might be of use to you. Hope this makes sense and it's hard to capture in screen shots.

I've only chosen one category iin this screen shot to show how tags data follows on from category data. Once you find the tag data you can then sort, Will this will help you out with your tag research?

My other suggestion is to create a custom CSV format with tags and all the data you need and use excel to filter, manipulate and sort.

• rgondorgondo Expensify Customer Posts: 31 Expensify Admirer

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done the sort by tags feature, but the granularity is too much for it to be useful in the visual chart view. As workaround, I am currently exporting to excel and then filtering to get the data I want.