How do you move expenses from one report to another?

vmosecpavmosecpa Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
edited December 2018 in Day to Day

I'm an accountant and my client is using Expensify. She has an open report that keeps adding and adding expenses from the credit card feed. For various reasons, I'd like her to close that report at month end and start a fresh one each month. She has let the January report stay open and expenses from February have landed on the January report. How do we close the report at January 31 and move the February expenses to a new report?

Best Answer

• JakeJake Posts: 18 Expensify Newcomer
    Accepted Answer

You can do it a number of ways. From the report, you can "x" out (remove by clicking the red x) the expenses you don't want on that particular report. Or, from the expenses page, you can choose the click box for each individual expense you want to move to another report and then choose "Add to Report" in the upper right-hand corner to put them in a new report of just leave them unreported for the moment. Hope this helps.

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,059Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

You guys rock, thanks for sharing some great answers and linking to other threads.

• vmosecpavmosecpa Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hey all! Sorry for the super slow responses - I got caught up in tax season. But, this really helped me out. I appreciate it a whole bunch.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,059Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @vmosecpa, so happy you circled back to this thread!

• StephanieL789StephanieL789 Posts: 31Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

so, there is no way for an admin to move expenses, it must be done by the person whose report needs split? So, It also says the admin may have turned off the ability to remove items. Where is that found?

Hello @StephanieL789 - thanks for the new question. This refers to the use of "Corporate Liability" on the credit card expenses which means employees aren't able to remove expenses from reports. You can read more about this in our Help Center here.

The liability on a company card expense is baked in at the time the expense is imported into the account. This means that you won't be able to retroactively disable the liability an allow employees to remove expenses.

• StephanieL789StephanieL789 Posts: 31Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I really feel you should have an option for admin's to remove expenses from a report under corporate liability. I can accept that employees shouldnt be able to, but I really feel there needs to be a way to do it. Also with deleting expenses. I understand it is pretty rare, but we had the same expense transfer in twice. It would be ever so nice to have a way to delete it.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Posts: 978Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

Hi @StephanieL789 , can you give me the use case for this - i.e. a situation where you would be using Corporate Liability, and you would need to remove an expense?

Also, are you saying you had a duplicate flow in from the card twice? i.e. from the bank? If it was due to user duplicate receipt, then it would be a cash-only expense which doesn't fall under corporate liability. If you are re-importing a card under Domain Control, I recommend that you turn off Corporate Liability while you determine if there is overlap with the previous card.

• InspiricaInspirica Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Old thread, but maybe someone will see this.....

There are two reasons we absolutely need the option for Admins to move expenses on corporate cards under corporate liability rules:

1) Multiple people in our organization share a single card that is used for purchasing web services. If we could move the transactions manually on to other reports, we would be able to do expensify something we are currently only able to do in QuickBooks -- namely, to break the transactions into multiple reports in the manner required by our CEO. Right now, this is the single biggest pain point for us in using your service.

2) We recently worked with Amex to reorganize the above, and in the process of doing so, there was a period of time in which the transactions first flowed into expensify on the old cards and then again under the new ones. Because there is no admin-based delete under corporate liability, we were forced to manually edit everything in QuickBooks. Had we caught this prior to the reports being submitted and approved, we could've done the "try first with corporate liability" policy you suggested above, but we didn't, and now it is too late.

Given that the idea of "corporate liability" is to protect the corporation from users making a mess of things, shouldn't the corporate admin have the ability to make whatever changes they need to make. Why would you seek to tie admin users' hands like this? I get the whole "if we added this feature for admins, some of them might make a mistake, and then Expensify support would have to help them" thing, up to and including why the support team would lobby against this change, but...from a user's perspective, that's not a good reason not to add something that would make the service more valuable, useful, and user friendly than it currently is.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 769Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @Inspirica! When you are using corporate liability you should still be able to move expenses between reports as a domain admin using the reconciliation dashboard. Corporate liability only restricts the deletion of credit card expenses. We used to offer another feature that also made moving them impossible but that is no longer the case.