Scheduled Submit Being Turned On Automatically

Curious if anyone else has had issues with the Scheduled Submit setting being turned on for policies despite previously turning it off. We've noticed this a couple of times now and it's frustrating to not have control over our own system. This has also resulted in users having reports created for them, meaning they are now an active user and we are charged for them that month. In our workflows, users who have few expenses are asked to create/submit reports quarterly rather than monthly.

This apparently happens because of the inbox tasks. If a user or admin answers one of these - even by picking manual submit as the answer - it can turn scheduled submit on, which then auto creates reports.

I'm hoping to have other customers chime in if this is causing issues.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,657 admin

Hello @jennyberg - thanks for posting and I'm happy to help with this.

The Inbox task you're referring to is a specific task that only policy admins can use to enable Scheduled Submit at the policy level. This Inbox task starts with "I'll assist you by batching up any new employee receipts. How often should I submit receipts on their behalf?"(Below)

Policy admins with this task can enable Scheduled Submit for the entire policy, so it's best to be careful with this task.

Additionally, personal level Scheduled Submit is enabled by default for new accounts so it could be that you have employees who haven't disabled it. If that is the case they can disable this from their Account Settings > Preferences section.

There is a second Inbox task that is presented to end users (non-admins) that is very similar to the one I shared above. This task starts with "Do you want me to submit your expenses for you?" (below)

Your employees could also be selecting an option in this task and enabling Scheduled Submit even though they manually disabled it before.

If you've ruled out all of the above and are still seeing Scheduled Submit enabled at the policy level, we should take a closer look together so please let me know!

• jennybergjennyberg Posts: 5

In your example for the admin task, if the admin selects Never: Let users decide, this still turns on scheduled submit. The wording of the option is misleading. We've basically told our admins to never answer any of these tasks because they change settings without warning.

For the personal settings, we really want the ability for our policy settings to override personal settings and/or not allow users to set certain things. We've asked our users to turn this off, but getting 100+ employees to change a setting is easier said than done. Same thing with the non-admin task - it's confusing to users when they don't understand the intricacies of the system and inadvertently turn something on even when they choose the manually submit option.

Also, the naming and description of Scheduled Submit says expenses will be assigned to a report. It never mentions creating a report. When you have things like this in the background that automatically create reports, it's really shady since that is how Expensify counts active users and thus bills.

• JuliaJulia Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

@jennyberg agree with everything you said! One of my biggest pain points is that users can override certain features that we have specifically set up at the policy level.

I wish if manual submit was selected at the policy level, that the inbox would just not prompt the users at all. It causes a lot of confusion.

• jbaxterjbaxter Posts: 23

hi @Sheena Trepanier
    I have scheduled submit disabled at Policy level on one of my policies but copilots are saying it is being enabled by default.
    Your note above says "Additionally, personal level Scheduled Submit is enabled by default for new accounts so it could be that you have employees who haven't disabled it. If that is the case they can disable this from their Account Settings > Preferences section."
    Is it really enabled at personal level even if disabled at Policy level?

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 761 admin
    edited May 8

Hi @jbaxter yes indeed it can be. Because a user's Expensify account is their own, as are their expenses, it's the Policy which is controlled by the company.

• LMSLMS Posts: 6

Same problem. Reports are being Automatically submitted when I shut that feature off.

@LMS have you asked your employees to disable it at the personal level? If they do, you can disable it at the policy level and won't need to worry about reports being submitted.

Employees can find the setting to disable it by navigating to their Settings > Policies > click on your Personal policy > Reports tab. From there, click on the green toggle to disable the functionality. (below)

I hope this helps!

That's the problem, Sheena. I shouldn't have to. Expensify is set up strictly for company expenses. Why is the personal policy even an option? It's confusing for everyone. Also, this is a recent problem. We haven't had any issues until the past few months.

• RahimRahim Posts: 8

I agree with the above. As company admins, we need to be able to override the employee personal settings.

We should be able to state that expenses need to be submitted manually or whatever is appropriate for each business.

The company is paying for the Expesnify accounts so I ask again, why is the personal level setting an option for the employee? I also agree with @Rahim, company admins should be able to override personal settings.

edited August 18

Hi @lms, thanks for the ping. When scheduled submit is turned off at the policy level, it's up to the employee to decide when to submit reports. How often would you like employees to submit their expenses?"

Control over how Scheduled Submit is utilized by employees can be gained by enabling a Scheduled Submit frequency at the policy level. Typically this frequency will match how often you want employees to submit their expenses and helps to nurture the expense reporting workflow you want your employees to follow.

@Sheena Trepanier Again, I shut off the "Automatic submitting" and changed the frequency to manual. Since Expensify doesn't have a semi-monthly option (24 pay periods, this is how are payroll is set up), we have to have it set to manually. I didn't disable it entirely. BUT! Since employees have this personal policy option, what I have set up on the business's policy is totally bypassed and I am still getting reports submitted automatically. So I am going to ask again-- Expensify is set up strictly for company expenses. Why is the personal policy even an option? And now, new question, what is the point of paying for everyone's account if they can just bypass the company policy?

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 761 admin

Hi @LMS - It's probably worth clarifying that the Policy belongs to the Company, and the Expensify account and expenses belong to the User. The Expensify account itself is free, the Company owns the Policy.

One user may use their Expensify account to submit expenses under their Company Policy, maybe they are the treasurer for the local football club, so they manage the club's Policy, they might also manage their own expenses under their Personal Policy. And so on and so forth.

When Scheduled Submit is set to 'manual' on a Company Policy, you are essentially saying that the user is to be in complete control of their own submission frequency. Hence why they can elect to use their own personal Scheduled Submit to automate their report submission.

Is there a reason why you don't set the submission frequency to every 2 weeks, which might be closer to the 24 pay periods? (Around the 1st and the 15th of each month)

Just to note: If a user does not set their default policy to the company policy, your policy's Scheduled Submit frequency will not be applied, however, the primary policy can be restricted and enforced using Domain Control.

• DuvalDollarDuvalDollar Posts: 2

I agree with most on here and have the same frustrations. This isn't something that we should have to communicate to our users on how to disable if we disable on the policy side.

On the clarification of the Policy belongs to the Company, and the Expensify account and expenses belong to the User. Why would the account belong to the user if they are using a work email? If they are using a work email tied to the domain then it should belong to the company not the user. If they use a personal email not tied to a domain, then yes I would agree that it belongs to the user.

Its extremely frustrating getting random calls on this when its something that should be controlled by an admin on a domain policy. While the constant tweaks and updates are good, its been consistently frustrating as an admin trying to keep up with the guessing game on what changed or what Expensify has enabled on the users end.

PLEASE STOP MESSING WITH WHAT WORKS!

I just wanted to share an update after discussing this with my team for quite a while. At this time there are no plans to offer admins the ability to remove Scheduled Submit at the personal level for their employees. Control over how Scheduled Submit is utilized by employees can be gained by enabling a Scheduled Submit frequency at the policy level. If things were to change in that regard we'd let everyone know right away via a Product Updates announcement.

• DuvalDollarDuvalDollar Posts: 2

I also don't understand why domain users even have a personal level/policy. If their account is a domain user account its most likely provided by the company they work for and the company should control it. If they were to leave the company and are using SAML authentication don't they then loose access to their "personal" level/policy and history since its deactivated on the domain side?

If they enjoy Expensify so much to use for personal use shouldn't they be creating a personal account using their personal email (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)?