Does SmartScan randomly changing merchant names from CC imports cause all kinds of issues for you?

lushlifeleolushlifeleo Posts: 13 Expensify Newcomer

We love it when we don't have to manually connect receipts.

We also love that SmartScan doesn't change the total of a transaction reported by our credit card - smart.

For some reason though SmartScan DOES change the name of the merchant. This is irregular and leads to a number of consequences for us:

• Sometimes it's just flat out wrong (not the name of the business, sometimes the name of our company which makes no sense)
    • Sometimes it's close, but different enough from the consistent name to break our automatic rules
    • Sometimes it's right, but gets rid of important information that changes the kind of transaction it would be noted as, because the merchant provides important details in their name

In ALL of the above, cases the name change makes reconciling with our accounting system (which imports the SAME transactions) a nightmare.

Fellow admins/users, have you found a workaround for this?
Expensify folks, can we at least have the option to keep the original card service provided names?

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,602 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @lushlifeleo - another great thread, thanks a bunch for sharing these with the community!

I'm going to work on testing this and will get back to you on this thread. Talk to you soon!

• lushlifeleolushlifeleo Posts: 13 Expensify Newcomer

Glad to be here @Sheena Trepanier, Thanks for commenting and looking into it.
    Let me know if you need specific examples, but the issue is all the same: priority given to smartscan names, regardless of the actual name of the merchant.

One thought is that if we're not giving the name from the credit card feed priority, I'd at least love the option to keep it, or flag it - finding these and changing them by hand is a nightmare right now, as it reconciling them by hand on our accounting platform since the merchant names don't match.

@Sheena Trepanier have you had any luck with this?

Anyone else running into this issue? My colleagues and I have this happen all the time and it's a nightmare for reconciliation.

Hi @lushlifeleo - Sadly I don't have more information to share at this time. I've discussed this with multiple team members and a few admins from my own companies, but I'm not finding a lot of support for making a change.

We've often recommend that customers use Expense Rules to handle how the merchant name appears in Expensify. This isn't ideal for everyone but at this time, it's the best option available right now.

I'm sorry there isn't more I can offer right now, but I'll be circling back to you here if and when I do.

Thanks for reply @Sheena Trepanier !
    We'd love to use expense rules, but this issue actually breaks our rules. I wish there was just a way to leave the reasonable useful information we get from our credit cards alone.

You're very welcome @lushlifeleo, and I'm still keeping my eyes open for more information to share with you regarding merchant names. As soon as I have some you'll be my first stop!

• jbaxterjbaxter Posts: 43 Expensify Admirer

Hi @lushlifeleo @Sheena Trepanier I have two recent examples where the Merchant name is wrong. Understandably the client is not happy as they've been calling the wrong merchant trying to get copies of the missing receipts.
    The merchant name is showing the same as a separate transaction just a few days apart but when you open it the 'Google' name shows the correct merchant that matches the Amex card statement.
    I reached out to help and Concierge responded, but all they could say is that this is the information being sent from the card provider which was not very helpful. If the card provider is sending the wrong merchant name to Expensify has a ticket been raised to them? We should not just be accepting the fact that we have wrong data coming in, we should try to solve the issue right?
    Also, can anyone explain where the google name comes from? It seems that this data is more reliable. Is it also coming from the Merchant? If yes then why are the values different?

@jbaxter In my experience the "Google" part is verbatim from the credit card transaction.

Expensify has "SmartScan" default to whatever was scraped from the receipt which is likely to be wrong or random. I don't know who finds this useful. We get issues like reversed month and date, nonsense in the company name, OUR company name in the merchant name, and that always takes over for REAL data from the credit card.

It would be amazing if expensify let us choose priority there, but I'd accept just not changing the merchant name or date recorded by the card as the default if I could get it. @Sheena Trepanier any chance that'll happen?

• jbaxterjbaxter Posts: 43 Expensify Admirer

Thanks @lushlifeleo I would also like the ability to make sure SmartScan doesn't change the Merchant Name or Date.
    @Sheena Trepanier The weird thing is that neither of these examples had a receipt attached so I'm not sure how SmartScan changed it? Possibly the wrong receipt was attached initially and when it got removed the details didn't revert back? I can't be sure this is what happened as there is no audit trail visible but it would explain why the dates and tax rates changed as well. Does Expensify have access to logs that we can't see? I'd like to have my assumption confirmed so I can go back to the client with an explanation that's not just a guess...