Check out the new Webinar category here! You'll find:

• Signs ups for future webinars

• Recordings of previous webinars

• Transcripts of previous webinar Q&A sessions

Unable to Add Option to Report Field

MedTouchMedTouch Posts: 3
edited April 10 in Using Expensify

Our Expensify reports utilize a report field titled 'Customers' to allow users to select from a list of clients/projects for invoicing purposes. For the past two days I have been unable to use 'Add Option' to include two new clients/projects, being prompted with an error message each time that reads 'The given value "" for "externalID" in field "Customers" is invalid'.

This error has been holding up our monthly reporting and invoicing, and online customer support has been absolutely atrocious -- one response in two days, and the responder clearly did not understand the issue at hand before promptly disappearing again. Our account admin and myself are at our wit's end.

What is going on with this error message?

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,106 admin

Hi @madtouch, thanks for joining and posting on the community. I'm happy to help you out with this one, and we can work together to make sure it's resolved.

Would you be able to share the name of the policy you're trying to add this to?

Also, are you using an accounting package connected to Expensify to import your customers? If you are, new customers will need to be added in the accounting package and then synced into Expensify.

Either way I'm here to help!

• MedTouchMedTouch Posts: 3

Hi Sheena - thanks for stepping in to assist. The policy I'm trying to add this option to is 'Client Travel', and the Report Field I'm trying to add to is titled 'Customers' (formatted as a dropdown list).

We have an accounting integration with QuickBooks, which I believe is the source of the issue here -- after some research it looks like to add the new options, we need a successful sync between Expensify/Quickbooks. I've followed all the steps:

-Expensify Sync Manager on the same (remote) server as Quickbooks
    -Both programs running simultaneously
    -No open dialogues in QuickBooks (I've also asked our other users to log out)

After attempting a sync, however, when it gets to the step of 'Importing Chart of Accounts' it stalls out and I receive an error message to 'Please close any dialog boxes open within QuickBooks and try again'. Any thoughts of what could be happening here?

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 215 admin

Hi @MedTouch , this can mean that there's an open modal dialog box in QuickBooks Desktop. Can you check there's no extra box open on the same PC as the open Company File please? - check carefully, sometimes there might be something minimised or hiding behind something else.

• MedTouchMedTouch Posts: 3

Hi Rachel - thanks for assisting. I've confirmed that no dialogue boxes are open in QuickBooks. After repeated attempts and involvement from our IT team yesterday, we've moved on to a new error message that reads 'Could not retrieve data from QuickBooks' (still stalling out on the 'Importing Chart of Accounts' steps).

As of yesterday I've also reported this problem in an email chain from when this issue occurred back in January - I believe you are CC'ed on it, in addition to your colleagues Lauren and Brigid, when you all previously assisted our finance team.

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 215 admin
    edited April 15

Cool, thank you @MedTouch, it looks like the amazing Brigid has helped you! I do recall seeing this and alerting Brigid late last week, and as per usual she's woven her magic. :)