Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status (updated April 3, 2020) 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Ability to permanently delete expenses

ikkehansikkehans Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

You already know this since long... because I see a lot of Expensify users requesting for this. But once again; when do you finally add the option to permanently delete expenses or scans from the deleted items?? It is very annoying to keep running into falsely added items or accidental duplicates in the 'deleted items'.
Come on. It is time to add the functionality!

16 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Renee_AuRenee_Au Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I seriously cannot believe this functionality does not exist. There is absolutely no reason to not have the ability to permanently delete something you don't want there within your company account!

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,040 Expensify Team

@ikkehans @Renee_Au Do you think it's useful to have both options? I'm just thinking out loud here, but I once worked with a document management system that had 'deleted items' which you could still access, and you could also 'permanently delete' from the deleted items. So you had a safety net, but also the ability to blow stuff out of the water completely when necessary.

• Expensify_DudeExpensify_Dude Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Another vote to be able to permanently delete expenses. Nobody needs to be perpetually reminded of the mistakes they made and I just spent 10 minutes trolling through them to make sure I hadn't made a mistake and not submitted an expense. I'd even go so far as to say having an option to automatically purge items after a definable period of time would be good. But at a minimum users should be able to permanently delete things they know are never needed again.

• privacyplsprivacypls Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

This is the only thing that is stopping me from using expensify more. Help response tells me that the only way to delete information is to delete your whole account! I guess they don't want more subscribers!

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,155 Expensify Team

Thank you for weighing in @Expensify_Dude and @privacypls. We're tracking the support for this feature and if we make any changes we'll be sure to update you all right away.

Cheers!

• LB18LB18 Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

Agree with Expensify Dude. Annoying to have to keep dealing with the same mistake over and over and over. Ridiculous for the Admin to not be able to permanently delete. Even a two layer delete process as Rach suggested would be great

• KMAX_8KMAX_8 Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Agree with everyone else's comments here and this is a big issue for us. Even if it was just an admin function to be able to delete expenses permanently that were no longer required.

• J_Munson2071J_Munson2071 Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

Definitely have been waiting for the ability as an admin to be able to delete reports or expenses for users. There are times that they are created and never finished and they hang out there FOREVER! So annoying for users to always have to filter reports or expenses so they don't have to view all that OLD and NO LONGER NECESSARY TO KEEP records. :#

• citynetcitynet Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

I totally agree! It's very annoying to have to double check items that you know were wrong before, but now that they're showing up in your expenses again, you need to double check to make sure they're right.

This is a slightly different use case but I think relevant: Frequently with our employees will replace original receipts. Often times they upload blurry, incomplete or placeholder receipts, and then when they upload a new receipt, the old receipt gets put back in their expense list, which is just plain confusing.

A two layer system like @RachCHopkins & @LB18 suggested would be great: a trash can that holds deleted items for 30 days and then gets permanently deleted would be perfect.

• cgatescgates Expensify Customer Posts: 1

+1 for delete to be added

• DeliveryExpressIncDeliveryExpressInc Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer
    Its more efficient to delete an expense at the admin level than it is to email a user and remind them to delete certain rejected expenses. Why is this not possible?
  • YfisnepxeYfisnepxe Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    +1 for permanently delete option. Respectfully, you've redefined what the word "delete" means by not deleting items users believe they are deleting. Imagine my surprise when I discovered all these items still present, undeleted, but just tagged and colored. Sure, you can call it "delete" all you want, but if the record still exists after I've deleted and am prevented from deleting permanently then it's better to label them as hidden or some other tag. I think it's a valid question to ask what's preventing Expensify's product team from enabling this option? What are the risks to Expensify? Or, more troubling, what is so valuable about our trash that this behavior is not enabled for users?
  • MShellMShell Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Any update on this? It would be nice to have a permanent delete option, as well as an option to delete an expense from the Admin level without having to reject an expense and ask the user to delete the expense.

Thanks!

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 797 Expensify Team

Hi @MShell. I'd like to be fully transparent on some discussions we've had in regards to this feature request. Because you only see deleted expenses if you specifically check the filter for deleted, as these are never displayed by default, the ability to permanently delete expenses will not be viewed as a priority.

The ability to delete expenses (send them to the deleted folder) as an admin when you are rejecting them makes a little more sense but we wan't to prevent accidental deletion. It's up to the user to be able to argue their case if they believe an expense is legitimate when it's rejected or send it to the deleted folder.

• MShellMShell Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    edited April 2

Got it, thank you for the response @Nicole Trepanier!