filtering by categories and policies doesn't work

giorgiogiorgio Posts: 1

Whenever I filter by categories, only a few apparently random expenses of that category show up. The rest don't, even though their category is correctly marked.
This can be fixed by uncategorize that expense and re assigning the category, a solution that would take too long for all the expenses. Especially because there is no way of seeing which expense doesn't get indexed in their relative category.

Something similar happens to policies. "All policies" correctly show all the expenses, but "none" and "taxes" (the one and only in my account) return no expenses. Where does "all policies" get all the results then? Shouldn't "all policies" be a sum of all policies? (in my case just one?).

I'm having a real hard time understanding this. Please help.

Answers

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 802 admin

Hi @giorgio can you provide an example? i.e. a category which has X amount but only shows Z amount, so that I can take a look please?

'(none)' means expenses with no Policy applied. So those won't show up when you select 'All policies' because they're not associated with any Policy. Is is possible you have some on a long since deleted Policy? These would show as 'Not Shared' but are still seen as being on a Policy.

• Darren1Darren1 Posts: 4
    edited April 28

I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking something glitched when I initially set-up my personal expense account. I began by assigning categories, adding categories, making expense rules, using the "make a rule based on this" funcition and after I finished up and tried to filter some expenses by category only some of the expenses showed. I'm guessing the auto assigned categories aren't showing. For example, I created a category "Student Loan Payment" then I made an expense rule and applied existing expenses to that rule. Then when I filter the "Student Loan Payment" Category (I left the dates blank so it should show all expenses) only 1 expense show even though there should be 3.

Also, I noticed when I organize by category that they will alphabetize to a certain point then they are just random there after.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,845 admin
    edited April 30

Hello @Darren1 - Thanks for reporting this! I wanted to let you know we're working on rolling out a fix for this, however the fix is retroactive, and "fixes" all previous categories for a customer so that they are eligible to show up while filtering expenses. This fix is actually an internal migration from one system to another, but it does take time to finish up and it can only be rolled out to a portion of customers at a time.

I've added your email to be in the next batch, and over the course of the next week or so you should start to see improvements with the filtering and sorting of categories. If you don't, let me know and I can take a closer look.

Please note: The fix will take about two hours to be added to your account. Once it's added you'll need to log out and back into your account to start the migration. Tomorrow morning, can you please log out and in to your Expensify account?

Thanks!

Thank you @Sheena Trepanier I'll be sure to take a look tomorrow however I won't be able to look untill I get home from work. The reports still worked great. Also, I use Expensify for my business but this particular issue wasn't a big deal. It dawned on me that this would be a convenient personal expense tracker and FOR FREE! That's awesome! It's working great but I have another question (I'll post in another thread if you'd like). When I submitted my first report I copied my wife who has a Yahoo email and the PDF formatted differently than when submitted to a Gmail. I tested this twice and really liked the format used when sent to the Yahoo. When I generate a PDF from the report itself and/or submit to a Gmail it formats essentially into a spreadsheet. When I submit and CC to a yahoo email and attach PDF it formats in a nice, easy to read, line item report with Categories totaled. Much more user friendly which is good when sharing this information with your significant other :). I couldn't find anything about PDF formatting so I'm wondering how to format the way I prefer. I just happened to stumble on to this. Thanks again!

@Sheena Trepanier - Categories are filtering perfectly, thanks!

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,845 admin

Hi @Darren1 - that is really great to hear about the categories filtering correctly now, I truly appreciate the followup.

As for your second question regarding the PDFs, this is new to me and I'd like a chance to test this a bit. While I've personally never experienced this, I imagine other customers would have the same observations as you and I want to make sure everything is working properly for everyone.

I'll circle back to this thread once I've done a bit of testing and I'll update you on my findings and next steps.

Talk to you soon!

• btochbtoch Posts: 1

I also have this problem. Very frustrating