We're currently experiencing a site outage. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Per Diem with HST

vrcvrc Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

How should we account for HST in the per diem meal rate ?

Answers

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 692 Expensify Team
    edited April 2018

Hi @vrc Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Because HST is triggered at time of supply, i.e. when you buy the meal, I would assume your Policy Admin includes HST in the Per Diem rate. I.e. the Per Diem rate would be $25, not $25 + HST which would actually be a limit of $28.25 (depending on location of course)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you are using a Per Diem allowance, it's treated totally differently than a regular expense+reimbursement equation.

A reimbursement is a payment made by one person to repay another person for amounts spent. An amount constitutes a reimbursement where the amount is fully accounted for by the person receiving the payment (i.e., evidenced by supporting vouchers or records). Consequently, an allowance is not a reimbursement. (Found here)

Your employer may still be able to claim a tax credit on the Per Diem, but it's considered an 'allowance' rather than an expense, so the person claiming the per diem does not need to account for HST themselves.

• vrcvrc Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. However, I was asking as the employer, setting up Expensify, rather than the reimbursee. If we reimburse the employee $25, some portion of that is GST, which needs to be tracked for in our accounting system. Unless I'm missing something, Expensify will only send $25 as a bill to QuickBooks, and we need to back the tax out of the bill there.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 692 Expensify Team
    edited April 2018

Yes that's correct. The tax treatment for an allowance is different than a reimbursement. I'm afraid I can't advise you on accounting practices.