When using multi-level tags - Can we edit tags in a policy without causing "Tag out of policy" error

JessVVPJessVVP Posts: 6

Whenever I add or edit the tags in my policy it basically resets all the tags on the expenses people are currently working on and they get the "tag out of policy" error, even though they already filled it in. Is there a way to stop this?

Answers

• tylerzolltylerzoll Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭

@JessVVP Are you connecting to an accounting system? For example in NetSuite, if you add a new tag, it flows through directly to Expensify when the account syncs. This keeps all of the thags in order. Where do you edit the tags?

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,513 admin

Hi @jessvvp - Thanks for sharing this with the Community. When you update your tags, your employees should only see out of policy violations if they are using a tag you've changed and the expense is not yet submitted.

If this isn't the behavior you're seeing, can you please let me know where I can find an example of this in your account? Ideally, this would be information you're comfortable sharing in a public space. If you're not comfortable sharing it, please let me know, and I can reach out via email.

• JessVVPJessVVP Posts: 6

@tylerzoll @Sheena Trepanier Sorry - didn't see your responses.

I had an email convo with support about this. The error happens whenever I "import from spreadsheet" under Admin > [Policy Name] > Tags. I've never taken out or deleted a tag, I've only added tags. So when the error says "tag out of policy," it is not true - the tag is still in the policy. It seems like whenever I upload a new spreadsheet of tags, instead of just adding the new ones, it replaces all the tags in that particular level.

Support answered with this:

_When updating the tags via spreadsheet, each time it is updated, the tags on reports will be considered "out of policy," as the update will cause them to appear as "new tags" even though they are the same ones.
    To correct the violation on the report, you, or your employees will need to select different tags.
    Best practice is update the tags after reports have been submitted and either closed or approved, so the tags don't have to be selected again. _

I still would like to be able to update tags while there are open reports. Is there anything else I can do?

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 717 admin

Hi @JessVVP - Apologies but I can't see the Policy you're referring to so I'll have to ask questions - are these multi-level tags? If not, how many tags are you adding each time?