Expensify.org is accepting proposals for new campaigns. Submit yours here by April 30th to receive up to $100,000 in funding for campaigns dismantling injustice related to: Climate, Homes, Hunger, Reentry, or Youth.

Vendor/Merchant Drop down listing QBO vendors or option to create new QBO vendor in Expensify

DrewTheTrellisClubDrewTheTrellisClub Approved! Accountant Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I love Expensify and I'd love to see Expensify implement a better way to map "merchants" to QBO vendors that already exist or need to be created in QBO. Currently, I look to see if a merchant is in QBO as a vendor, then if it is have to copy the vendor name exactly as it is into Expensify for it to map and not import over as "Misc Credit card vendor." Just like selecting the category, if you could have the option to select the QBO vendor much of the back and forth between QBO and Expensify to setup new vendors or map to existing would be eliminated.

Other solutions, like a hubdoc, enable you to select from your QBO vendor list and if that doesn't exist create that vendor right within it and into QuickBooks for an easy way to map merchant to QBO vendors. I'd love to see Expensify introduce this feature as the biggest time consumption is deleting the vendor names that import in Expensify and having to copy and paste them from QBO or for new merchants create them in QBO first and then copy and paste into Expensify merchant box.

9 votes

Not Developing · Last Updated

Closing due to lack of interest. However the linked Policy Rules Idea is still on the boil.

Comments

• ZilZil Expensify Customer Posts: 18 Expensify Admirer

I wish I could upvote this multiple times. It's very needed. Currently I have to check every vendor name to make sure it makes exactly before exporting so that it doesn't come across as Misc and it's very time-consuming.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 807 Expensify Team
    edited February 2020

@DrewTheTrellisClub and @Zil - just wondering if you think that this Idea will actually cover this off. We don't import the Vendors from QBO, but if you could set the Merchant Name to be the same as the Vendor Name, this would have the same effect.

(Yes I am doing a huge follow-up and consolidation exercise!)

• DrewTheTrellisClubDrewTheTrellisClub Approved! Accountant Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

@Rachael Hopkins Good question. I think that idea would make it easier for sure for companies with multiple users on the setup and initial rules setup. This would be a good change.

Ideally though, as we have a lot of 1 or 2 user accounts, a drop down list under merchant that feeds from QBO vendors to select similar to what Hubdoc or AutoEntry enables (or they could type their own in for cc misc designation) would be ideal to quickly code expenses with a vendor name attached.

The rules help as we set rules to both match the exact vendor name and category, but still does seem like a lot of work if we want to track expenses by a new vendor to create that vendor in QBO first, then setup a rule in Expensify to auto categorize the vendor name to that exact name we created in QBO. Thanks!

• KenpachiKenpachi Expensify Customer Posts: 3

This is a MAJOR hurdle I think of the software at least for smaller teams. I don't understand why it doesn't link. When I use the software Bill.com they provide a list of the vendors that exist in Quickbooks already, and if I add a new vendor in Bill.com that client is added in QBO.

I would really love for Expensify to add this. I'm not even sure how there aren't more people here, but to the point of syncing items over. Currently, having vendor name of transactions show up in a "match" bank feed as miscellaneous is a misstep of the software.

For that reason I've not been using the feature as much as I'd like to, and have just opted to rewrite detail.

Please please please consider adding this ability. It would save all your users a lot of time, and be a nice quality of life improvement for those who are currently using it as is.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 807 Expensify Team

Thanks @Kenpachi - are you saying that you have a 'view only' list of Vendors imported from QBO to Bill.com, and on the bill itself, you can set the Vendor?

• DrewTheTrellisClubDrewTheTrellisClub Approved! Accountant Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi Rachael,

The alert reminded me to revisit this. Most every other software will allow you to create a new vendor or provide a dropdown of your current QBO vendors to select from. For example Melio payments, Hubdoc, Bill.com Auto Entry, all of these enable you to create new new vendor in QBO from within their software or select from current vendors in QBO when inputting the vendor/merchant. Expensify lacks this feature resulting in a lot of work still to map merchant names EXACTLY with QBO vendors which creates a back and forth toggling between QBO and Expensify or sending things over as credit card misc. Rules can help with this but still can be time consuming for new vendors etc.

We have to figure out if that vendor is already in QBO or need to create in QBO and then re-sync Expensify which makes me go back to QBO and search vendors to determine if they are already in QBO and get the exact name or if not, create a new vendor in QBO, then sync back to Expensify. If Expensify would just provide a dropdown of QBO Vendors and then a create new button to easily create a new vendor from Expensify into QBO it would save a ton of time and give us better tracking of Expenses by Vendor.

Thanks so much for considering!

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,324 Expensify Team

@DrewTheTrellisClub -- Thank you for circling back and providing this really wonderful context, it's super helpful for us when we're determining the need for a new feature or functionality.

I hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe, take care!

• MattLMattL Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I too have the same need (although I am using Quickbooks Desktop), please keep me updated if there are any solutions implemented for this. This would save me roughly 2 days a month of manually matching vendors to our vendor list in QB for all our organization's users.