SmartScan Ideas

CMEEDCMEED Posts: 3

Hello All - While I like Expensify very much - some areas i find rather tough going and maybe they need to be looked at - mainly the smart scan which is my main bone of contention . It takes too long, especially with 60 odd receipts sitting in front of me. I'm on an Iphone 6, which I use for all receipts (i realise its getting on (IphoneX and all)) but even with an Iphone 8 i still found it hard going. I'm a designer and while I was breaking the back of a pile of receipts, I got thinking - here (for all their worth) - are my thoughts -

Main thought is to have smartscan screen show all options without scrolling - I know all screens are different but theres so much wasted space in my opinion - for some reason - I suspect it is slow due to processing the photo or it starts uploading the photo immediately -it takes a fair few seconds.... 4/5 on mine. amounting to a frustrating 45mins

So All options should be shown straight away with the photo taking up less space allowing the the previously mentioned. If the slowness after taking a picture was down to uploadeing maybe the uploading could be postponed till the user allowed it to go up when he/she was ready. not while i have 50 more receipts to go up. PS Expensify App also it crashes regularly after 25-30 receipts....

As is my designer want I couldnt stop myself from sketching my thoughts ...... see attached (Yes I know I've spelt receipt wrong!)
Cheers
Chris

Answers

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 432 admin

Hi @CMEED Welcome to the Expensify Community!

This drawing may be my fav new thing. I come from a family of designers, so I love a good concept sketch <3 . We actually recently stripped down the mobile app interface due to a lot of feedback that there was too much going on and users were overwhelmed. Hence why it's all tucked away under the 'More options' section. However, I have passed on your ideas to our mobile team.

The SmartScan technology is actually different to the app itself - the app really just sends the image to our servers. You can just put your phone away after you snap the pic.

When it hits the servers it goes through a series of scans depending on how readable it is to the OCR. The time taken will depend on how many levels of scanning/scrutiny it needs and also our own system load. Some users save up a month's worth of receipts and do them all at once (I used to do this too before I used Expensify because the previous system I used was so painful. I actually did 3 months' worth at a time! :# ), and it's probably no leap to imagine that if we have a few thousand people all do that on the same day, it can make the scans take longer. This past week has been one of those weeks, I'm guessing a lot of those customers have a 30 June balance date and they're doing a year's worth.

The best approach is to scan the receipt at the time of purchase or as soon as possible afterward, and then just put your phone away. You can still do all your processing/coding once a month, but it means everything is good to go when you are. In general, the SmartScan will take 2-4 hours if it's particularly tricky.

Feel free to come back to me if you have any further queries about this.

• CMEEDCMEED Posts: 3

So for me the last update was backward turn in terms of time - looks nice and neat but it takes so much longer to scan a receipt. And thats the point. Yes, take a picture of it when I'm standing at the end of the counter having just spent some money on a coffee. But i cant get all that done as the interface doesn't let me in the time i have at that moment. I used to.
    Now I have to set time out of my day to address 'the pile'. The big draw of Expensify for me was I could 'Account' on the go. I am still however able to account better, on the whole, from having Expensify in my life :)

Time:- The scanning of the receipt ie the photo being taken takes much of the time. and every phone will be different. the iphone 8 i used didn't scan/process the photo significantly quicker than my Iphone6. Then - as soon as the app switches to the Smartscan screen theres a terrible lag. 2-4 seconds before you can scroll or push an icon. Then theres a lag if you have pressed, which make you unsure you have actioned anything! what is causing this?

I previously mentioned it could be the uploading which you said just happens - so does this have any effect on the time it takes the app to be ready for the user to input data?

• CMEEDCMEED Posts: 3

Also....
    completely disagree that the previous incarnation of smartscan screen was cluttered - it depends on how you use Expensify
    Thats why i mentioned a customisable smartscan screen. So you can use it how you like. A big technical leap and probably not one you would consider. maybe formats would work - have 5 popular layouts..... I do think tucking everything away dosen't speed things up. why press/scroll more than you need to! makes no sense! .... again everyone different which is why i find it funny you tucked everything away

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 432 admin

Thanks for all your feedback @CMEED! It's great to have people like you who are so passionate about our app and I'll make sure your sentiments get to the right ears.

As for the upload, you should be able to add more details within about 30 seconds, once it flicks from 'uploading' to 'smartscanning'. :)