We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

Webinar Q&A - 13 June 2018

RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 943Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach
edited June 2018 in Webinars

Setup Tasks

You can find the recording here and the guide here.

It is possible to have some employees on the corporate plan to manage company cards, while other staff remains on the team policy?
Yes absolutely.

If an employee has an Expensify account used for tracking only their personal expenses, do they need a second account to participate in the corporate account?
No. In this case, they'd simply need to be invited to join your policy. They can toggle between their personal (none) account and the company policy using their policy selection menu on both mobile and desktop.

Expenses

For imported card transactions, is the date the transaction date or posted date?
Card transactions use the transaction date. However, we will not import them into your account until they are completed transactions (not pending/processing).

When an employee is "Removed", will admins still be able to search past expense reports by employee?
Yep! As long as the expenses have been placed on a submitted report, they will remain available in your account. NB: If you're having trouble seeing the employee to filter, it may be because the filter applies to the current page and the ex-employee is a few pages in.

Would an ex-employee show under "not shared".
"Not shared" is related to the policy the report is on. The report will still have the employee's email and name on it.

So if I want to add clients this is where I will do it?
Are you looking to add clients as report submitters or as a coding tag for your submitters to apply to their expenses?

I am looking to add clients associated with my accountants partner to they can submit the expenses and code them to their correct project.
To add clients, you'd simply need to invite them via your Policy People table, found at Admin > Policy > [Policy Name] > People.

Is an employee allowed to delete receipts once submitted?
No, expenses can be deleted only while they are Unsubmitted or on an Open report.

Are you going to show how to approve, deny, close, etc expenses once an employee adds them in? Say, to a report?
Once a report has been submitted, you can find it in your Inbox, under "Reports awaiting your action" - Once you click into the report, you'll see the appropriate buttons on the report header that allow you to approve, reject, etc. the report. Here's a great guide.

Managing People

If I'm the admin and I'm also the person all employees submit to, can I then forward the expense report on to someone else to review and possibly approve?
Absolutely. You'd simply need to update your "Approves to" field via your People settings, found at Admin > Policy > [Policy Name] > People.

On enforced approvals, for an approver who does not have an "Approves to", will the approver be able to "approve and forward" to any person?
No. You will need to have a designated approver in the "Approves to" field, otherwise this user will be the final approver.

In the inbox, is there a place to see the automated reminders that were sent to the employee / users? For example, if we wanted to see when the an invite was sent to the employee and if a reminder was sent for setting up their reimbursement deposit account?
This information is not shown on the Inbox page, but all of these notifications will be sent to the user by email.

Which has a higher level - domain admin or policy admin?
The two roles are quite different and relate to different parts of Expensify. Domain Admin has access to Domain Control settings, while a Policy Admin has access to policy settings. The DA needs to be a PA in order to have access to policy settings. A PA needs to be a DA to have access to domain control settings.

So if each client has their own policy - they will only be able to see their policies, reports, receipts, etc. Is that right?
Correct!

If a client needs to be able to manage their own expense payments for their company can they use this under my accountant partner account because of the permissions they are given in the account?
I would recommend adding them as a Policy Admin to that client policy so that they can make reimbursements.

Billing & Ownership

Does everyone within a corporate account need to be at the same level (free, team, etc)?
You can have multiple policies which can be on different levels. This is policy-specific. For example, you could have a Team policy as well as a Corporate policy, and the users you invite to each policy can take advantage of the features specific to each policy type. If all policies have the same billing owner, you will only be billed for active users across all policies, but if you have both Team & Corporate policies you will be billed at the Corporate rate.

Integrations

Each policy could sync to a different accounting software file correct? i.e. we have multiple companies and all employees do different tasks for each different organization?
Correct! You'd simply need to connect them via Admin > Policy > [Policy Name] > Connections.

I will need the information to transfer into QBO on the class or project level.
To do so, you will need to configure these fields via Admin > Policy > [Policy Name] > Connections > QuickBooks Online > [Settings] > Coding

Can you expound on tips when setting up categories and classes for optimal integration with an accounting system?
You can import your Chart of Accounts and map your fields as either tags, categories, or report fields. This is specific to your use-case. The Categories and Classes are set up in your accounting software and imported to Expensify.

Is it best to link the accounting system in the very early stages of the process?
I would recommend this, yes.

Company Cards & Domain Control

Can an policy admin link a company card to the employee, or does the employee have to sync the card to Expensify through their own portal?
Unless you're using Domain Control to assign company cards, each employee must add their importing card via Account Settings > Credit Card Import.

Does the domain control feature come with the addition of a corporate policy or is there additional setup that I can find on the docs.expensify?
Domain Control must be configured separately. However, it's included as an available feature in the Corporate Policy.

Advanced

Typically, expenses are reimbursements for funds spent - can you please give me an example of why we might need to track or collect tax in Expensify?
Tax Tracking is typically used for accounting purposes and depends on your use-case. For example non-reimbursable company card expenses which have a tax component.

The extra layer of rules and restrictions on specific categories is only available with the corporate policy?
Correct. For a full breakdown of policy features, please see our pricing page.

Can you show examples of integrating with travel management?
Unfortunately, we won't include travel integrations on this webinar. For more information, please see our travel integrations documentation via docs.expensify.com.

Without travel integration, is there reconciliation with travel itineraries?
Are you looking to reconcile company card expenses? If yes, we have a great reconciliation tool under Domain Control.

We need to know how to auto-match travel itineraries with the expenses.
Are users importing their travel receipts? If yes, they should automatically match with the imported company card expense. Are you having any trouble with this?

That seems to cover the expense side. But the card expenses don't have the travel itineraries like travel dates?
When a travel receipt is imported into your account, the trip details will appear on your mobile app under the Trips tab. The trips feature is only available on mobile. But you will receive info about any changes to your trips regardless of whether you're using mobile or web.

So it's only on mobile and does not tie into the expense report?
The itinerary information is only available in the Trips tab on mobile. The trip receipt will be treated as a regular expense in the report.

We use tags as the project is that right?
Projects can be used as tags, categories, or report fields.

Would you tell me how to determine whether to use the tags, categories or report fields?
This would depend on your use-case. Typically, tags and categories are applied on the expense level. Whereas Report Fields are on the report-level, often used for projects, locations, etc.

How do you make sure the categories are just for that individual client? Do you get a new set for each policy?
Correct. Each set of categories is specific to the policy they've been added to.

What is the benefit of adding a co-pilot vs adding another user?
A Copilot is delegated access with full access to your account, whereas adding a new user simply has access to their own and cannot take actions on your behalf.

Will Expensify track what the copilot does vs what I would do? In other words, will there be an audit trail on what I did to the expense vs what they did to the expense?
Correct. You can find their actions on the Report History & Comments section of each report. If an expense is on a report. It will not be tracked if the expense is not on a report.

What about Copilot when you are using several types of accounting services i.e. Expensify to Gusto for employee payroll reimbursements, Expensify to Bill.com for contractor invoices, and then have all sync to QBD?
Only actions taken on a report are shown on the report history & comments. Creating expenses, or updating settings does not show as copilot activity.

Can you make it mandatory for a category to have a tag?
You can make tags required, under Admin > Policy Name > Tags. But they will remain independent of categories.

This discussion has been closed.