Allow spreadsheet/CSV import to update employee accounts like company card feeds

Travis_WTravis_W Expensify Customer Posts: 11 Expensify Admirer
edited August 2018 in Ideas

The company card feed is one of the most useful things about Expensify. Being able to centrally manage the relationship between card and Expensify user cuts out a lot of issues, in my experience. However, not every credit card "plays nice" with Expensify and getting a VCF-type card feed set up can range from a big hassle to never going to happen.

The next best thing would be to allow a spreadsheet/CSV upload to act as the card feed. That way those of us who are stuck using a credit card that doesn't interface at that level with Expensify could utilize the company card feed, as well as the useful reports found in the Loading Dock area.

55 votes

Live feature released! · Last Updated

Now testing!

Comments

• vrcvrc Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer
  • timthetimthe Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

Yes, this would be huge for our company.

We have a business card that uses the VISA Intellilink system. We can login and download a listing of all transactions from all cards, but I cannot get them to give me a VCF feed after months of arm twisting.

Please, please Expensify implement a feature to all CSV upload on a company-wide basis (and not just at the individual user level). This is a big deal as we've run into the VCF problem with several cards we've tried. Thanks!!

• EByerEByer Approved! Accountant Posts: 41 Expensify Admirer

I agree with this.

I have a few clients now that have credit cards through Chase. Unfortunately, they do not have any sort of bank account with Chase (credit cards only), so Direct Connect or VCF feed connection are not longer options. Chase has stopped providing this service to it's credit card-only users.

Because of this, we have to do regular, manual uploads, of credit card transactions to user's accounts. It would be nice if for non-reimbursable uploads, we could do one of the following:

do manual uploads in Domain Control and assign the manual cards out to users.
    continue uploading on an account-by-account basis but have the option select the account the transactions should be mapped to in QBO.
    Right now, I'm having to create new policies for each credit card holder, so that they can all be mapped to their respective Credit Card liability accounts.

• Julie_dimeJulie_dime Approved! Accountant Posts: 12 Expensify Newcomer

Yes, PLEASE! Having to ask for the VCF feed is tough and doesn't always happen. If csv can be uploaded for personal cards, it should be possible for corporate cards as well. Not to mention, it would serve as an interim solution while connections are broken.

@vrc @Julie_dime and @EByer ... did you guys click the upvote button? It's the only way to get Expensify to pay attention, according to the support desk!

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,030 Expensify Team

@timthe they sure did! - Don't worry, when people comment on Ideas we Admins always check to make sure they're voting too!

• ShannonTelepanichShannonTelepanich Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
  • PoolerPooler Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

Yes please - this would be of great benefit to our company.

Thanks to all for keeping this one visible and giving it more up votes!

• JuliaJulia Expensify Customer Posts: 198 Expensify Pro

YES! And I will add that even though I have a great VCF Visa feed, I would LOVE the ability to still update information via a CSV or file on an as needed basis.

Scenarios I need this in:

• Lag between my bank feed and expensify. During month end, even a day or two lag after the posting date for it to come into Expensify can make a huge difference.
    • Different users changing over the management of a specific card without a clean cut off date (the responsibility of managing team/p-cards/executives will sometimes change between employees.) Although I can pick a start date, I can't pick an end date. Which makes it very tricky, especially with transactions constantly ebbing and flowing!
    • Occasional missing transactions that are not explainable
  • Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,150 Expensify Team

Awesome job keeping awareness on this, I'm making sure to track all the support we receive for this and will keep you all updated on movement on our end.

Thanks @Sheena Trepanier ... I hope you guys are seeing that this is a big deal for your user community and something that just feels "missing" in the product. You guys have built so many features like SmartScan and Global Tax Rules that must have been waaaaaayyyyy harder than uploading a simple CSV file on a company-wide basis!

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,150 Expensify Team

@timthe, we're seeing and we're listening. You can bet that our Community members have a powerful voice for change and the recent surge in support on this thread is doing a wonderful job at getting momentum going. Please keep sharing this with your team members and colleagues, and I'll keep doing my best to champion this Idea as well!

• Travis_WTravis_W Expensify Customer Posts: 11 Expensify Admirer

@Sheena Trepanier I am thinking it may be a two-step process - the first step would be creating a "master list" of all of the cards that will be contributing transactions to the feed. Once the card list is created, there would be the standard card to user mapping. The second step would be the transaction import on an on-going basis. Obviously, the end user (us) would have to ensure some level of data consistency, especially with card number values. But that would be easy enough for end users. I know I am over-simplifying the internal mechanics of it, but on face value, implementing it would appear to be a fairly straightforward process.

edited August 2018

@Travis_W, nice one! I think it makes sense to start thinking of how this would actually look and function in the product. This makes it easier for my team to bring a more fully formed and customer-driven product change idea to the table.

I'd really love to hear from more of you how you would expect this functionality to look, feel and behave if it were built and added. I'm pretty sure through my research and tracking I've gathered the top and most compelling use-cases, but ideas about the tool itself function are still pretty fluid and hard to visualize.

Feel free to @ mention my username if you share your ideas on how the feature would work, and I'll get a notification to follow up on.

• TankneyTankney Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I am in the same boat as many here and I find it hard to imagine that Expensify does not have this option for admins. It is a lack of functionality that has me looking at other expense tracking options. The amount of time it takes my team to download the month-end statement, separate expenses by employee, email to the employee, get them uploaded and submitted is crazy. At the very least we could add an Expensify User ID column to the statement csv to link the expenses to user accounts and upload the company-wide csv. Best case is we upload the csv and map the expenses to expensify users before the file is fully uploaded to expensify. This should be a very simple upgrade to the system.

So glad to see this getting traction and attention. @Sheena Trepanier can you tell us if this has actually hit the roadmap yet? I also agree with the implementation details proposed by Tankney and Travis_W ... I think this is a fairly straightforward feature to design and implement...

Agree with timthe! Great implementation options presented by Travis_W and Tankney - this should be an uncomplicated addition. Hopeful it has hit the roadmap, @Sheena Trepanier as it is desperately needed!

@timthe and @Julie_dime - I'm championing this feature request and following the discussion around it very closely. As soon as I possibly can, I'll be back here to share an update with everyone.

• RahimRahim Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

I agree with the above. Having the ability to manually upload a company CC statement for the employees from domain control would be very useful.

@Sheena Trepanier I, for one, would be willing to talk with anyone at Expensify about implementing this functionality. I know you are working internally but it is important enough to me to have some proverbial skin in the game.

All of you have at some point showed interest in bringing CSV upload to Domain Control for unsupported Company Cards. The good news is your voices are being heard and I'm leading up some research into how this would function and what it would take to implement.

I have created a survey that I've love for you all to take. It's short and shouldn't take more than a minute or so to finish, but it will provide incredibly valuable information about the functionality. If we're going to do this, we want to make sure that we're doing it right and we need your help to make sure we do.

Take the survey here!!!!

Just a heads up, there are a couple other Idea posts in the Community about this functionality. I've pinged everyone from those threads here as well so that we can consolidate the support into a single thread.

If you haven't already, please go to the top of this post and VOTE for the feature request!

@Travis_W @vrc @timthe @EByer @Julie_dime @ShannonTelepanich @Pooler @Julia @Tankney @Rahim @Abhijit @Tejus @murali_2227 @ashworth_ianmartin1 @Scott_Redletter @mike03 @sydney_w1 @lci @SarahFell16 @Dianne_Colling @carlafitzii @Camby @ISchiavon @JawnyB @steve_pynn @rcollier @Pradnya @Chris1985 @eschmidt @okeefec @ctitus @Anshool @Afrin_Kammarched57 @Chuck @Janelle @Volo @Daveweez @jbaxter @wilsonthedude @jeffyentis @Brian_ISC2 @tylerzoll @Aussiebandit

• DaveweezDaveweez Expensify Customer Posts: 183 Expensify Aficionado

Thanks @Sheena Trepanier, I just filled out the survey... good questions! Please, everyone fill it out... let's get this feature done! :)

Thanks @timthe and @Daveweez, I appreciate the support!

• JulieannPinaJulieannPina Approved! Accountant Posts: 16 Expensify Newcomer

@Sheena Trepanier thank you for following this. It's a very important differentiation between other expense management options. Basically a snag in any other function can be worked around. But not having the card feed just obliterates the main source of value, why we use this software. So when there are card feed issues, I really need an alternative.

Will take the survey, but also wanted to mention this here. The upload needs to take our whole bundle of data together, and parse it into individual card holder accounts. If I were to do them one by one that would kill at least 20% of the time savings value of your product.

@JulieannPina @Sheena Trepanier That is a good point! If we had to upload a separate spreadsheet for each domain member, that would not really be much different than what I am already doing. So, it would need to be one spreadsheet.

• MariavittoriaMariavittoria Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

I agree, that would be a great point to implement.

• MariavittoriaMariavittoria Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer

@Sheena Trepanier I was hoping you could have some updates..is this in the line? Do you have a timing for that or is is still too early to know if this will be implemented?

• Karisa LattaKarisa Latta Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 145 Expensify Team

Hey @Mariavittoria !

We don't have an ETA just yet but I know we're putting serious thought into this feature. Personally, I'm hoping we can have a great update in mid to late 2019.

Fingers crossed!! Hang in there, folks. We have great things planned for 2019.

=)