Avoiding duplicates when importing credit card expenses into Quickbooks Online

Options
AndreaMasheen
AndreaMasheen Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
edited January 2019 in Integrations and API

We are having trouble with duplicate credit card transactions in QBO from Expensify & synched credit card. Is it better to turn off the credit card synch in QBO and just bring all transactions from a credit card into QBO from Expensify?

Answers

• Ben Fitz
    Ben Fitz Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 117 Expensify Team
    Options

Hi @AndreaMasheen! Welcome to the Expensify Community! :blush:

I understand you are seeing duplicates within QuickBooks Online. I can see that you have auto-sync enabled for this connection.

After final approving a report are you manually clicking the Export To > QuickBooks Online button for every report? Auto Sync will export a report to your accounting system upon final approval. A subsequent manual export would result in duplicates and would then need to be removed from your accounting system.

Let me know and we can troubleshoot further!

• AndreaMasheen
    AndreaMasheen Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

Thank you for the answer @benfitz this will help to solve our problem.

However, my real question is - Should I un-synch this credit card in QBO and just bring all transactions on this card into QBO with the synch from Expensify?

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    Options

Hello @AndreaMasheen, hope you're having a great day.

We have two suggestions for best practice in this scenario, which you choose will depend on your preference for reconciliation.

The first option is to have expenses import into Expensify only and remove the credit card sync from QuickBooks Online. This method is the easiest to setup and maintain, and removes the risk of duplicate expenses.

The second option, which is more common because it offers reconciliation as a bonus, is to have credit card expenses feed into Expensify and QuickBooks Online. The trick here is that you must export the expenses from Expensify to QuickBooks Online before you accept them in QuickBooks. If you accept charges in QuickBooks before you export them from Expensify, you'll end up with duplicate expenses in QuickBooks.

If you have any other questions, let us know!

• olgak_1
    olgak_1 Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer
    Options

For the second option above, once Expensify transactions are imported into QuickBooks Online and one is ready to start matching to the transactions flowing from the bank/card, aren't Expensify items imported as an aggregated expense report? How is QuickBooks Online able to actually match bank line item detail to a summarized expense report level transaction from Expensify? Has anyone been successful with this? Or is there a way to actually import line item detail vs. the lump sum from Expensify into QuickBooks Online? Thank you in advance.