We're currently experiencing an outage with our Citibank connection. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

How to handle duplicate expenses that need to be merged when merge option doesn't work?

VFAKathyVFAKathy Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

One of my employees expense May 2018 expense reports pulled in some expenses from October 2016. I want to delete these October expenses from her report. When I try to resolve by merging these with the "real" October 2016 expenses, I get an error that says "Credit card transactions cannot be merged together." Any thoughts on how to remove these duplicates from the report? Thanks!

Answers

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,030 Expensify Team

Hi @VFAKathy, if the duplicates are caused by a card being imported twice, or by a file transmission error from the bank, and they have already been reported, the easiest way to handle them is to create a trash report and close it:

1. On the Expenses page, check the box next to each surplus duplicate
    2. Click 'Add to Report' and create a new report
    3. Label it clearly i.e. 'Duplicates to Remove'
    4. Change the Policy on the Report to '(none)'
    5. Close the report

Then the user can uncheck the 'Closed' filter on the Expenses page. This doesn't delete them, but they are out of sight and out of mind.

If it is under Domain Control and Corporate Liability is turned on, you may need to disable this briefly to move the expenses around.

Depending on the type of card, the user may also be able to Delete the expenses.