"Turbo" copy of Reports

cgriell
cgriell Expensify Customer Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

I create the same set of reports each month, each one with a different name, say 18_06_Fuel for June, and 18_07_Fuel for July. So, not to forget any, I copy June report into July report and I delete all the expenses that had also been copied into the July report.

This needs to be done independently for each one of the reports, there is no multiple selection possibility, as soon as I select two reports, the "copy" button disappears.

I would like to be able to do a multiple selection (the tick box is already there), and, if possible, have the option to copy or not the expenses

Comments

• tylerzoll
    tylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 430 Expensify Champion
  • Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 838 Expensify Team

Hi @cgriell I'm going to take the voting off your post, so that we can consolidate on the one above! :) Don't forget to vote!

• cgriell

Thanks... I of course will vote for the possibility to duplicate an expense, but what I ask for is the possibility to duplicate a report, with/without the possibility to copy its expanses... It is something different, so, I would like to maintain the vote in my post

• tylerzoll

@cgriell, Im wondering if I don't completely understand the feature you would like. You would still like the ability to copy a report, but select certain expenses and not all expenses. The other idea is to just to copy expenses and not duplicate reports. Could you explain what the use case is where you want to duplicate the actual report? Also, a work around might be to just have two reports. One report with all of the expenses that you like to duplicate and another report with all of the expenses that don't duplicate.

I think the Expensify methodology is to move away from reports all together but they still exist because folks understand submitting expense "reports".

• cgriell

I create new reports every month. I have a report for transportation by my own car - for instance fuel, parking - and another one for flight and train tickets. I pay different taxes depending if the trip is in my car, or by public transportation.

I have monthly report for recurrent expenses (sometimes with specific invoice (s), sometimes with a direct charge to the bank).

So, instead of creating monthly a set of new reports, I copy the reports from, say, January, to the February set. Then, I delete the expenses for all reports but for the recurrent expenses.

Of course, I can live with that, it is not big deal, but I would prefer to be able to copy a set of reports, through a multiselection. Now I need to copy each report individually. When I go to the reports page, I have a tick mark. If I tick one report, I have the "copy" option. If I tick more than one, this copy option disappears.

And then, if I write Santa's letter, I would have the option to copy the report with or without expenses. Deleting the expenses of the copied report is not complex, but having to delete manually 50 expenses is so boring. Of course if the number of expenses is high, I create a new report from scratch, but I need to remember the naming structure, as well as trying not to forget any...

• Rachael Hopkins

@cgriell thanks for all that info - can you explain to me why you don't keep everything on the same report and use Tax Tracking or Categories to keep track of the tax?

By doing this, you could export all your expenses to CSV at the end of any given period to analyse the expenses by tax type or category without needing to have umpteen different reports each month.

You could also filter by Category from the Expenses page to achieve the same result on screen.

My spidey senses are telling me you may be using a more complex approach than you need to, and hopefully I can help you simplify.

• cgriell

Thank you for you help.

I use categories, of course, and my accounting program keeps track of taxes, I put the taxes there as example.

I use expensify not only to keep track of my professional expenses, but also for my personal expenses, so, I prepare different reports to know, for example, how much my motorcycle rides cost, so I have two reports, one for rides (which include fuels, restaurants and hotels) and one for maintenance. And I have another one for outings I make with my family, report which, of course different from the business report. Both include restaurants as a category, of course. And I like to keep track of expenses every month...

• tylerzoll

@cgriell, what about having two Expensify accounts or two Expensify policies? You should be able to switch between the accounts in the app if you add yourself as a copilot on each of them.

• cgriell
    edited July 2018

Thanks, Tylerzoll, but even if I have personal reports and professional ones, I open new reports on the first day of the month for both. To have two policies would not solve the problem

• Rachael Hopkins

@cgriell Tyler means totally separate accounts, under different email addresses, one for personal, one for business, and each could use Scheduled Submit.

You could then set up each as a CoPilot for the other so that it doesn't matter who you are logged in as.

• cgriell
    edited July 2018

Thank you, Rach, but I guess you have not followed the thread.

My problem is NOT related to the submission of the report at the end of the month, I must do it manually, because I need to correct beforehand scanner mistakes (scanner does work approximatively in non-english receipts). I do so regularly, but I need to check the last expenses before closing the report.

My problem is NOT related to the mix of personal and professional accounts, because I work as consultant, and some personal expenses (or part of) are considered by the IRS as professional expenses. I manage this easily.

My problem (which is not really a problem anyway) is that I want to generate every month the same set of reports, and doing so one by one is cumbersome.

That's all.