We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

Company Cards - Webinar Q&A - 18 July 2018

RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Expensify Success CoachPosts: 939Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach
edited July 2018 in Webinars

Today's recording is here and the guide is here.

Card Feeds

What is the feed option for controlling card accounts through the bank?
This refers to a Mastercard CDF, Visa VCF or Amex GL1025 commercial feed. You can find more about that here.

We currently use a card program from Chase Southwest Air Visa but are switching to Chase Ink Visa cards. We seem unable to connect the new Chase Ink cards which have a separate Chase log in.
Please reach out to [email protected] so we can take a look at the connection logs. You can also check this doc for more information.

Can you tell us about some scenarios where employees would want to connect a personal card, and would you recommend a setting to disable this option if we don't want employees using card connections that we can't manage?
This import can be used for non-corporate tiered business credit cards. Or, a user can use Expensify for their own personal use also - they may want to connect a personal card so that they can both track personal expenditure and business reimbursables.

Will you go over how to convert to the company card setup from a regular imported card setup?
If you currently have cards under the personal settings, you will want to set them up under Domain Control, then have the users remove them from their personal settings.

Some of my expenses do not come through, such as annual fees.
Certain transactions are filtered out, such as you paying your card balance, and fees. If you need these to come through, please reach out to [email protected] with all the details.

Next question - I have a client who uses Barclaycard here in the UK can they use 'Commercial Card Feed'?
A commercial feed is only available for Mastercard, Visa and Amex, but they can use a 'direct feed'.

Can you show us the process for setting up the 'Commercial Card Feed'?
This is quite an involved process and involves setup by the Expensify team in the 'back' of the software. You can find out more in our help docs.

How long does that normally take?
The process of getting a feed can take a couple weeks on average, depending on the speed of the issuing bank.

We have several different 'programs' with the bank. Would the feed come through as separate or as one in total?
This highly depends on your bank so unfortunately I cannot answer for sure. I would recommend asking your bank about this!

It seems like my company chose a direct feed (for Amex), as opposed to a commercial card feed (for Visa/MC). This was before my time, and has brought w/ it some occasional complications. Does Amex require this direct feed, or can we switch to commercial? The MC connection (Commercial feed), is definitely smoother than the Amex setup.
American Express does offer a Commercial Feed completely separate to the direct connection. I'd recommend reaching out to American Express to see if your company is eligible for this feed.

When I used to download the Excel format of my Amex statement I would have a column of detail for my airfare charges detailing the passenger names. That extra detail does not show up on Expensify. Is there a way to view this detail by drilling down or downloading something?
Unfortunately the bank feed does not include this data.

Why would we not see all of the card transactions pull over in the feed from the card company?
Probably a delay from the bank or a broken credit card connection! You can update the card from the blue cog, or just wait. If you don't see the transaction within 10 days, please reach out to [email protected]

Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard

Can the reconciliation dashboard be filtered for different card programs (e.g. company amex and company visa)?
Yes! When you used the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard, you view each feed separately.

When switching from statement reporting to scheduled submit, will expenses be subject to duplication risk?
No, the number of expenses available to report will still be the same as before. You are likely to have less trouble with expenses failing to merge at the end of the month.

Is statement reporting going away?
Hi there! Yes, it is being retired at the end of 2018.

So will we as the admin have to create reports for them?
Not at all, you would use Scheduled Submit to collect and submit expenses, but the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard to reconcile the cards.

Could we, in theory, reconcile all transactions at the end of the month for one feed and submit all unreported expenses to an expense report by employee?
Yes! You can do exactly this from the Reconciliation Dashboard.

What if the totals don't match?
If you mean receipt total and card transaction total - then the expenses will not merge. If you mean the totals in the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard and your credit card, the Posted total within the same date range should be the same.

Yes, these are posted transactions and I don't see them.
Can you please try updating the cards to pull in the transactions? If that doesn't work please reach out to [email protected] and we will look into this for you!

An employee removed an expense from their report. How can I add this back to their CC report?
You can't add an expense to an existing report, but you can use the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard to create an automatic report for any unreported card expenses.

I currently have my company cards automatically pulling into Expensify and I reconcile them at the end of the month. How does this change with the reconciliation dashboard?
This will depend on your existing process, but you will likely enter the statement dates into the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard and check the totals are correct and Approved, and you can click through to check them off one by one if you need to.

Does this change how employees review their monthly company card statements in Expensify? We currently have all of our company cards linked.
They don't necessarily need to use the statement anymore, but if they really want to, they can filter by the statement date in their Expenses page.

I have a client with Barclaycard in the UK - will they be able to use this?
Yes, Expensify supports this connection.

Is the reconciliation dashboard taking into account transaction dates, or the dates the expenses settle w/ the card company?
It uses the transaction date for Posted transactions, but not the posted date.

Our Amex date is the 11th and I have trouble comparing due to mid-month and items flow after the statement date. Any tips?
The Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard would be perfect for this - simply put in the statement dates. Ignore the actual reports and use this tool for reconciliation.

Can our bookkeeper who does not do expenses use the reconciliations dashboard?
Yes, as long as they are added as a Domain Admin.

Domain Control

Who owns the Domain when you have multiple Policies with different owners?
The person who does the Domain Validation is the Domain Owner.

What if the users in a program don't all have the same domain name in their email?
Company cards imported via Domain Control can only be assigned to users with emails on that domain. However, you can take control of multiple domains and import your company cards into multiple domains.

Our admin will be responsible for checking that all the expenses are in. However, we don't want her to have authority to push through a director's expenses. Are there separate 'roles' for these tasks?
No. A Domain Admin can create and submit reports for any unreported expenses for any user.

Integrations

We reconcile our cards in Quickbooks Online and we have never found a benefit to using the Expensify reconciliation because then we have to reconcile twice.
The trick is to import the card feed into QBO after you import from Expensify.

We get lots of expenses uploading to QBO with vendor name "Credit Card Misc". Do you have any tips on how to minimize this?
This is due to a mismatch between the Merchant Name on the expense and the Vendor Name in QBO. You can either set up Vendors for these going forward, or if you already have them, ask you users to set up some Expense Rules to rename the merchant consistently. E.g. anything containing Donald becomes McDonald's.

I have been allowing for expenses to sync with QuickBooks automatically, but then have a few that stay in my inbox with "report that need my attn" and an 'export' option. Are these not syncing with QuickBooks?
That's correct! You may need to export manually and look out for any export issues. Any errors would have been emailed to the Technical Contact on the Policy.

Troubleshooting & Problem Solving

For the unapproved charges that don't have receipts, is there a flag or rule that can be set up, to state that managers have to approve unsupported charges?
You can make receipts required for everything over 1 cent - this will mean that they can be reported and manually submitted, but they will be flagged with a violation for a manager to review.

Some unreconciled expenses are being added to next month's corporate card report. Why is this not being added to the current month's report?
If you are using the mobile app, click 'more options' next time you snap a receipt and just check you haven't got the app set to a specific report - this field is 'sticky' and remembers the previous entry. Just set it to blank or 'automatic'.

We've had some issues w/ expenses showing up on the wrong month's report. We used to be able to move expenses from one auto created reports to another, but this functionality stopped working some months ago. Can we still do this? For example we'll have a July expense, on our June report, so we just need to move the expense to the correct report.
Only a user can move expenses from one report to another. The Admin can only reject expenses to Unreported and then create an Automatic report from those expenses. If you want a rejected expense to go on a certain report, you will need to ask the user to do this.

Next question: Expenses using a corporate credit card do not need to be reimbursed (the employee has not paid) but other expenses do need to be reimbursed. Is there anyway this is automated?
Yes! You can set the company card default reimbursable settings. So in the case of this corporate card, you can force the card to a non-reimbursable setting. If you import your company cards via Domain Control then you can enforce them to import as "non-reimbursable", while setting employee uploaded expenses as "reimbursable".

I noticed on Stephanie's page that the report name showed {report:autoReporting:...} Mine has started doing the same and not pulling anything in for that. Has the coding syntax changed?
This field is for the Scheduled Submit date, and if you use Scheduled Submit it should be working. Can you reach out to us at [email protected]? We'd be happy to take a look!

Expenses

For every transaction that uploads into Expensify for the corporate card, do they show as being non-reimbursable automatically?
This will depend on your settings. An Admin for the company policy can set expenses to default as non-reimbursable. Just go to Settings > [Policy Name] > Expenses > Expense Basics, and disable 'Default new cash expenses as reimbursable'.

How do you see where imported transactions do not have a corresponding receipt and vice versa?
While there isn't a filter that indicates expenses without a receipt, the Expenses page should easily show which expenses have a receipt attached to them. If you set the receipt required for anything over 1 cent, any expenses missing receipts will be flagged as a violation.

Where can you see expenses that have been added that have not been merged with a transaction imported from a card feed? i.e. orphan transactions with no expense.
When you have a corporate card feed, an expense is made up of two parts: card transaction + receipt. The admin can find unmerged unreported transactions by looking for those with no receipt image. They can also look for reported transactions with a cash icon which indicates no merged card transaction. The Admin will not be able to see unreported cash transactions.

I've had a situation where an employee submits a report with an expense misreported as a non-corporate card, then Expensify auto-updated the report to sync the card charge, fixing the error. I am curious to know if on their end the corporate card expenses initially come through without being paired with the corporate card charge (card w/ lock).
A receipt will show as 'cash' until it is merged with the card transaction, when it does merge it will follow the rules as set in the card feed preferences.

But you would normally add a receipt BEFORE the credit card transactions are imported, so how does that workflow work?
The receipt will show as a cash transaction until the card transaction imports and merges. Please check this doc for more information on how this works.

Is each expense a separate 'report'?
No. A report is a collection of expenses that will be submitted through a policy. You can have as many or as few expenses on a report as you would like.

What determines how many expenses are on a report?
Ultimately, the submitter of the report will determine how many expenses are included within a specific report. You can place as many expenses on one report as you would like. This can include one or more expenses from a single day, a trip, or any length of time.

Can employees manually submit expenses that have violations (e.g. missing receipt)?
That will depend on the settings found within the policy. You can choose to restrict the policy such that they would not be able to submit expenses with violations, or you can allow violations to be submitted through. If you enable "strictly enforce expense policy rules" in Domain Control > Groups, this will prevent users from submitting expenses with violations until they are resolved. Otherwise, users will see a prompts to fix their violations but will be able to force a submission.

If we're using the scheduled submit, only expenses without violations will be submitted? What if someone never fixes an expense violation, will it never auto submit?
That's correct, it will just keep being held back. It's a good idea for your users to give their expenses a quick look-over before each submission date.

Does the auto submit, only submit entire reports without violations? Or does it submit the expenses within a report that don't have violations?
It submits those without violations and puts the others on a new report.

Is a card associated with a policy? Or does the employee select the policy each time? We have users with two cards, operating under two different policies, because they work across two entities.
While you can associate a card with a specific policy, they are not associated by default – allowing submitters the flexibility to choose through which policy they will submit the expenses.

How can you approve a statement without coding? Or should I say I don't want to approve a claim without coding?
You can set categories to be required which will flag any uncoded expenses as a violation.

Will we have to use scheduled submit going forward? Or can we keep manual submission?
That's completely up to you - with the Credit Card Reconciliation Dashboard the reports no longer need to match the statements as the reconciliation is done from Domain Control rather than user reports.

How can I recover an expense that was deleted from the employee's Expensify altogether? These show as deleted rather than unreported in the recon dashboard.
The user will need to open and restore the deleted expense.

General

Does Expensify have an archive for old reports? Expense or CC?
Old reports will simply be in the reports page and you can use a date range filter to keep the list shorter.

If an employee hasn't uploaded a receipt, will the scheduled submit still go through?
This will depend on your receipt required settings. If a receipt is required, we will flag a violation if there's a receipt missing and the expense will not be automatically submitted.

We have found that when an entire report is reimbursable, it is not as easy to tell that we need to reimburse it. i.e., it doesn’t show in red under the report total what is reimbursable. Is there an easier way to see this?
If an entire report is reimbursable, the main total is the reimbursable total. There will be no separate number.

Can 1099 contractors use Expensify to submit invoices?
They sure can! To get started, invite them to your company policy (or contractor-specific policy).

Why are our new cardholders now getting asked how often to submit their reports? Can we turn that question off and set a policy?
Users can still set Scheduled Submit in the personal Policy even if it is turned off on the company Policy.

Is there a way to send a message to all cardholders set up in Expensify?
Unfortunately not at this stage. The only way to 'send a message' is to make a comment on a report.

I received an email that says we will be retiring Automatic Statement Reporting by the end of 2018. Can you explain what this means?
Please find more information on this here.

This discussion has been closed.