Expensify.org/hunger SNAP campaign status (updated April 3, 2020) 

The number of families signing up for reimbursement has vastly outnumbered the limited funds available. Though we’re unable to provide a specific timeline on when your report will be reimbursed, we’re doing our best to drive donations and keep our fund moving forward. Rest assured, we’ll review every report that’s submitted per our instructions. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Sort and search by amount, please!

BitpythonBitpython Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Trying to find a specific amount is really important when you're cross-checking with credit card statements. It would be so streamlined if you had a column for amounts and could just sort to find one you're looking for (Ctrl+F can be a little kludgy).

50 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• tylerzolltylerzoll Approved! Accountant Posts: 436 Expensify Champion

@Bitpython, just to clarify, are you talking about sorting by amount on the report or the expenses tab? If you click the amount on the expenses tab, it should sort for you. Also, you can get all of the expenses from a report on the expenses tab with the filters. Maybe not as quick of a way to get what you are after, but it should work.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,040 Expensify Team

Hi again @Bitpython - don't forget to vote for your idea!! :)

• glglasserglglasser Expensify Customer Posts: 40 Expensify Newcomer

I agree. It would be great to be able to search expenses for a specific amount or range of amounts.

• Ted HarrisTed Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 364 Expensify Team

Hi @glglasser - don't forget to click the upvote on the idea to lend your support!

• wanderingstanwanderingstan Expensify Customer Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Definitely need this feature; to be able to search for a specific expense or expenses in a range.

My team uses this trick all the time in Gmail to find a specific expense. For example, we'll have hundreds of orders from Amazon but you can search for the email receipt for exactly the one you want by price. We find this far more reliable than vender or product name, where you might get dozens of matches or miss it because of a spelling difference.

• DanRNeumannDanRNeumann Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Holy cow! YES! This is maddening that I can't search for the "$21.60" expense on my credit card statement!

• glglasserglglasser Expensify Customer Posts: 40 Expensify Newcomer

+1 absolutely. Need ability to search and filter by amount.

• yegyanyegyan Expensify Customer Posts: 1 Expensify Newcomer

I agree! How is this NOT a feature on the expenses page? You use the filter to look at transactions from a certain vendor, or from a certain date or card, but not by amount? How is there no way to look at expenses by "amount." For example, right now I ONLY want to see expenses between $2,000 and $3,000. It seem like the most BASIC of filters!

• JuliaJulia Expensify Customer Posts: 198 Expensify Pro

You've got my vote! Another great searchable function (like the idea for comments to be searchable) that I would love to have and can think of many use cases for.

Ideally this search function would allow for a range (and if someone wanted to hone in on one amount, that too obviously)

• ScoutlyJScoutlyJ Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Can't tell you how many times I have tried to do this, ended up exporting everything to Excel and then searching there. Please implement! Be able to find the amount in any relevant field (expense, report total, etc.) Thanks, Expensify, for expenses that don't suck!

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,155 Expensify Team

Thanks for supporting this idea everyone! We're really looking forward to the improvements slated for 2019 and searchability is high on our list. I hope to be able to share good news about this and other popular functionality being requested, so keep your eyes open for updates!

• kidssalekidssale Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

I have stopped using expensify until they add the ability to search by amount across all of my receipts (regardless of which report they in). If just takes WAY too long to reconcile without this function. Hopefully it is in an update SOON!

• TerezaTereza Expensify Customer Posts: 13 Expensify Newcomer

Here is a detailed request and use case for search feature - on Amount and Description fields.

It makes zero sense to me that you have all the fields (category, tag, merchant, date, amount, description, etc.,) but have chosen to NOT allow search for some of them.

Use Case - reconcilation: manually making sure I've expensed every business-related item from my 3 credit card statements.

We all have lots of expenses within each category. If I'm looking for a specific one, I'm often unsure of its category (was it Transportation or Airfare?) or the exact date (did it get scanned in with the transaction date or the travel date?)

Therefore, those fields are not helpful.

One surefire way to find it is to put in the dollar amount!

And secondarily, being able to search on text that I put in the description field would be awesome.

It seems very odd that you chose to eliminate certain fields from the search filters. Why on Earth would you specifically exclude some?

(And I agree that "ctrl-f" is a terrible workaround!!)

Thanks for listening.

I'm enclosing the Chat that I had with one of you.

• RPMauraRPMaura Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

Being able to search by an amount would allow reports made up of one amount. We often have 45 plus airfare at the same value and end up with ten on one report and 15 on another and 20 on a third report making reconciling harder than it has to be. Yes you can sort by amount but then that disregards dates and you can get mixed statement dates. Our staff who are reporting are not as adept at expensify nor should they be. Sorting by amount is needed. Then you can find that 46th expense that was not reported, easily!

• AZRealEstateAZRealEstate Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Can you please, please add a way to search all fields for a specific dollar amount?

Thank you!

• RGTRGT Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer
    Search by $ amount please!
  • Azz3879Azz3879 Expensify Customer Posts: 1
    ... kinda surprised this isn't a thing yet ) :
  • EagleBayEagleBay Expensify Customer Posts: 2
    Agree.  I vote for these features. Please!
  • Michael HaxhiuMichael Haxhiu Expensify Customer, Expensify Team Posts: 18 Expensify Team
    Thanks for continuing to voice your desire for this search enhancement, we greatly appreciate it.

In the meantime, I wanted to mention that you can export your Expenses or Reports into a CSV template as a workaround. This should allow you the flexibility of using Excel to filter and sort your data by any criteria. 

• kidssalekidssale Expensify Customer Posts: 5 Expensify Newcomer

We’ve been asking for this extremely easy search function by amount (or range of amounts) for a few years now and all we get is “ keep requesting it and maybe it will be added.”

Shocking that a simple search feature by amount (regardless of where it is located) is still not available.

• TerezaTereza Expensify Customer Posts: 13 Expensify Newcomer

While I appreciate a workaround idea, this one is not at all helpful.

The workflow that many of us use is that while entering expenses, and reconciling with credit card statements, receipts, etc. to confirm that we have indeed entered all expenses and entered them correctly, to be continuously popping out to do a search on a static export is not useful. And, it introduces a disconnect between the live data and the most recent report.

It honestly seems that your focus over the past few years is on the backoffice capabilities of your platform rather than the user experience of the employees submitting expenses.

So consider how much more accurate the resulting expense reports would be if the people entering the expenses could search on any field they want. It would reduce duplicate expenses, incorrect amounts, etc.

It's inexplicable that such a basic feature won't be added.

• larkale07larkale07 Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Hi Expensify,

Please, it's March 2020, and taxes are almost due for 2019. How much longer will it be?! Searching by expense amount is a really basic feature. I imagine you have a lot to deal with because of the pandemic, but if you could release this, it would be a huge help to all of us who are also dealing with a lot because of the pandemic!

Thanks so much.