We are currently experiencing higher than normal support inquiries and response times. The Community is here to support you as well so please help each other out when you can. Please visit our status page to subscribe to updates.

Admin Webinar Q&A - 25 July 2018

RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 943Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Setup Tasks

Today’s recording is here and the guide is here.

I am hoping to understand from the webinar how to be administrator over several people in a small company. for example, do we each have our own account and then I have access to everyone's? thank you!
In brief, the best way to use Expensify is to set up a company policy, set up your policy expensing rules, and invite your users to this policy. That will allow each user to have their own separate account, but they will create reports and submit them to you through the policy. As the policy admin, you would have visibility into all reports and expenses on that policy.

Can we make changes at any time? For instance, if we want to add someone for approval or add credit cards in domain after we get them.
Yes, you can! Nothing you configure here is set in stone - you'll be able to reconfigure your policy, approval workflow or add additional credit cards at any time!

Expenses

When an employee has multiple policies, can they have/submit a single report that includes transactions from those two policies?
No, each Report is associated with only one Policy. If they have expenses to report under different policies, they will need to create different reports.

Can employees override the company policy by selecting their Personal Policy?
A user can change which policy they are using. You can restrict your users to only be able to use the company policy under Domain Control Group restrictions. Detailed info about group restrictions can be found on our help docs! It is worth noting that if they submit/close reports on their Personal Policy they will not go to an Approver.

As an Admin, can I also submit expense reports?
Yes! You can submit reports just like any other user - the only difference in your account is that you will have visibility into other users' reports and expenses on the policy.

As an admin, do you submit and approve on the same account?
We see both setups in Expensify. Some admins choose to manage their company policies via their primary company email, and others choose to create a more generic email such as "[email protected]" and manage their policies via that account. It really depends on your preferences!

I have an employee who only has about eight expenses a year. Can I submit his expenses under my admin account instead of adding him as a user?
If you'd like, you could create and submit the report. Do keep in mind that the person submitting the report will be the one reimbursed though.

Is each user in the domain able to see their transactions and what they have/haven't submitted receipts or reports for?
That's correct! Each user will see their own expenses - ones they have created in their accounts and ones imported from personal or company cards assigned to them, including Unreported and Deleted expenses. Their expenses will only be visible to the users themselves and their Policy Admins will also see any expense on a report.

Reimbursement

Do we have to enter bank info for reimbursement at set up or can it be added later?
You can add it or change it at any point. But you will need it before you begin reimbursing via Expensify!

Billing & Ownership

Can you cover cost? I thought my previous research was less.
We have two approaches - Annual Subscription which is a fixed price per month if you sign up for 12 months; and Flex which is for casual use based on active users only. A detailed breakdown of billing can be found on our help docs here.

I have a corporate account and am being billed for this. However, I have employees that I have invited to the corporate policy being asked for credit card information, WHY?
It sounds like those users have created their own policies. Can you ask them to head to Settings > Policies and see if they see their name next to a policy? If so, they can click on the red trash can icon to delete the policy.

They are being charged as well. So, we're being charged MORE than once for the policy.
You will be charged for your company Policy, but it sounds like they have created their own Polices in addition to this one Policy and added a credit card to their own account. Perhaps created by mistake. They can delete these Polices if they don't need them.

Integrations

I'd like to see how the expense syncing works with QuickBooks.
Sure! That's actually not something we can cover during this webinar, but you can learn more about that here.

Does this replace the banking functionality in QuickBooks Online?
No - it works in tandem with it. When you export credit card transactions from Expensify to Quickbooks, it will match with the feed there, with the receipts attached. You just want to ensure you import the bank transactions into QBO after you import the expenses from Expensify.

Company Cards & Domain Control

We have two domains. Can the group policies be used for both domains or do we have to create more?
Sure! The domain and the policy are handled separately, so you can invite users from both domains to submit on the same policy.

Will both domain then fall under a consolidated billing?
Expensify does not bill based on domain, we bill based on policy. You can consolidate billing for all policies on your domain though - you would do that under Settings > Domain Control > Domain Admins.

All the company credit cards are on the same account, do each of the card owners need to be verified?
No, they don't - just one person from the company will need to be verified. From there, that person (aka the Domain Admin) can assign the cards to any user on the domain.

Should credit card processing and expense report processing be on different policies?
You can do this either way, depending on your preferences. If you are assigning company cards to users via Domain Control then I would suggest taking a look at our Reconciliation feature in Domain Control which is great for reconciling submitted and unsubmitted company card expenses.

Can a policy admin go in and manually import/link a card for a user account, or does the individual user have to do it themselves through their account?
The best practice suggestion for importing company cards is to import them via Domain Control and then assign them to individual users. If the cards in question are personal cards, then the users will need to import their personal cards into their own account settings.

Advanced

Can you define 'tag' again please?
A tag is a field your users can use to code their expenses. If you are using a direct accounting integration such as QuickBooks Online or NetSuite, you can set your Classes, Jobs, Projects, etc. to import into the Tag fields.

How is it different from categories?
The context here depends on if you are using an accounting integration with Expensify or not. Generally, Tags are just another way to apply information to an expense - not too different from Categories. But Tags will be more customizable (i.e. you can label them "Departments" or "Locations", etc.), and you'll be able to import several "layers" or lists of tags. Categories allow for just one list, labeled "Categories".

Can you have more than one CoPilot?
Yes, you can have as many Copilots as you'd like!

Is it possible to have "Billable" reports have different categories than non-billable reports? Or to code billable categories to a different GL account?
A category is an expense-level field, so users will be able to specify which expenses are billable and which are not. You can set up as many categories as needed with separate GL codes. You may want to create a separate Policy for billable expenses with its own set of categories and tags if they are very different.