Customizing expense records with complex reimbursement formulas

Hello--- we have a government contract. Every month the reimbursable allowance can change. In addition, each piece of the project must be customized according to the rules set by the government. There is no constant, and our receipts are in global currencies, which must be converted to dollar values, then submitted to the government for review and reimbursement. Is it possible to automate this using your product? There are no answers to other situations I have seen on the forums. Please have someone contact me. Thanks

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,638 admin

Hi @DivaMaria, welcome to the Community! We can definitely help with some of that, but I'm not 100% sure which part you want to automate.

Are you referring to automating the updating of your projects? Or are you referring to automating the conversion to US dollars and submission of reports?

You can set a default currency for all submitted reports to be converted to, so the requirement to submit in US dollars will not be a problem. Additionally, it's completely possible to automate the reporting and submission of expenses as well.

Other parts of the process that can be automated include categorization and tagging (coding expenses), export to the major accounting packages, and approval and reimbursement.

What sort of information must you code your expenses with? I'm assuming you'll need an easy way to update categories and possibly even tags, which are applied at the expense level. Depending on your use of an integrated accounting package or not, this should be very easy. Either your accounting package will keep your coding up to date in the system or a policy admin can quickly update categories and tags using a spreadsheet import function.

If you can share some more specifics, keeping in mind this is a public community, I can better offer resources to fit your needs.

Cheers!

• IsabelaStisserIsabelaStisser Posts: 50 mod
    edited September 13

Hey @DivaMaria , thanks for posting to the Community!

A policy admin can set up the reimbursable allowance by going to Settings > Policies > [Policy Name] > Reimbursement and scrolling down to Manual Reimbursement. From there, you can set a maximum amount for which you'll allow reports to be automatically reimbursed.

Please note that if you have multiple policies this will have to be adjusted under each policy. You mentioned that the allowance constantly changes, correct? Unfortunately there isn't a way to customize rules and have the threshold automatically change each month. You will need to manually adjust each policy and the respective reimbursement allowance as you go!

Regarding your comment about having receipts in multiple currencies, don't worry because Expensify can definitely handle them! B)

When user SmartScan their receipts, we will display the expense total in the currency of the expense. When the expense is added to a report, the report total will be displayed in the report default currency.

I recommend that you set up your policies based on the currency in which you will reimburse reports. For example, if you are reimbursing employees in GBP you should set the policy's currency to GBP via Settings > Policies > [Policy Name] > Reports. Employees can belong to multiple policies within Expensify and work under each policy settings at different times.

Please find more information about currency and conversion in this help article and let me know if you have any other questions.