Renaming Tags and Categories from QB Integration

CMM
CMM Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

We have integrated our Expensify account with QB. As such we have pulled in our classes as tags and expenses from our COA as categories.

As with most accounting systems, the naming convention of our classes and expense categories can be somewhat complicated for an end user not used to working with them. So we were glad to see we had the option to rename these in our Expensify Admin portal.

However, when we re-synced our connection with QB our tags changed back to match those in our QB whereas our category names renamed the same. Is there a way to keep tag names from changing with each sync?

Comments

• Isabela Stisser
    Isabela Stisser Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 200 Expensify Team

Hey @CMM, happy to clarify!

If you are using an accounting integration such QuickBooks Desktop in Expensify, categories, tags, and report fields must be added and/or modified on the accounting side first and synced to your Expensify settings. It's not possible to add or modify these directly in Expensify.

You can sync a connection manually at any time by following Settings > Policies > [Policy Name] > Connections > Sync Now.

That said, once imported, you will have the option to enable/disable any that you don't want to use. This can be done from the respective sections of your policy settings.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this!

• CMM

Thanks for the response, but I am confused by this statement.

"Expensify, categories, tags, and report fields must be added and/or modified on the accounting side first and synced to your Expensify settings. It's not possible to add or modify these directly in Expensify."

This is confusing because I have gone in and edited the names of each category and tag associated with two different policies we have.

• Isabela Stisser
    Isabela Stisser Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 200 Expensify Team

Hey @CMM! You are correct, I can see how that information can be confusing!

To clarify, users are allowed to rename the Categories and Tags in Expensify so that they are easy to identify and code for employees. You are actually applying a “mask” to the category name in Expensify to make it easier for your employees to code expenses.

I hope that clarifies the confusion!

• CMM

@IsabelaStisser Thanks for clarifying.

Do you know of any reason why my "masked" tags would convert back to their original names from QB upon a new manual sync? I have not experienced the same issue with categories which we "mask" as well.

• Isabela Stisser

Hey @CMM, that's strange! :/ The masks should stay when a sync happens.

Can you reach out to help@expensify.com and send a recording showing that you're renaming the categories in your account, syncing the connection and then confirming that the categories are switching back to the ones that you have in QB?

This will help us investigate the issue further! Thank you!