We're experiencing abnormally high support volume that has created a backlog delaying our responsiveness. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

Add the ability to merge or combine reports

tylerzolltylerzoll Posts: 437Approved! Accountant Expensify Champion
edited September 2018 in Ideas

From this discussion: https://community.expensify.com/discussion/165/merging-reports#latest Here is the idea concept post. I have 2 concepts of how this could work:

Concept 1- Merge from Inside an Open Report
This would just be a button at the top of the report that has a dropdown with other open reports. Obviously, any submitted reports should not be in the list.

Concept 2- Merge from the Reports Tab
This would be handy since it might be possible to merge more than two open reports. This could work exactly the same way merging receipts work.

1. Select the reports.
  2. When eligible, the merge reports option appears.
  3. A box opens to select the options.

54 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Please share your use case to show support for this feature. Please include how this feature would help you utilize Expensify more efficiently.

Comments

• DaveweezDaveweez Posts: 181Expensify Customer Expensify Aficionado
  • Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,140Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Team

@tylerzoll -- Awesome job with this proposal, seriously love the mockups as well. Happy to keep surfacing this one for a bit to get it more visibility.

• JuliaJulia Posts: 198Expensify Customer Expensify Pro

Can I upvote this 10 times =)

• RahhbRahhb Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Yes, yes, yes for this. Being able to grab two or three reports and merge them is perfect and sorely needed!

• JeffMacJeffMac Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
  • maprincimaprinci Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Great option. My client has me send trip reports and monthly reports. This would be excellent!

• Clearion_CKClearion_CK Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

This is my #1 comment for Expensify -- please implement the Merge Reports. For my use case, I see reports from the same employee and want to reimburse them as one. I'd like to check multiple in the Reports list view and merge them into one for the same employee. Hope that helps.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,140Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Team

Thank you for the votes and support. Please remember to share this idea with any colleagues who may also support and vote for the feature.

• MJNiMMJNiM Posts: 59Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Oh Yes Yes Yes! Sometimes Expensify (or a user) somehow gets two or three reports going a month. Would be so useful (especially for future referencing or research) to have the authority to merge those reports into one, or to merge specific transactions into reports (particularly nice would be by date range of the transaction)

• elk7x7elk7x7 Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

This would make it much easier for me to do my reports. Yes, please!

• AwesomeMe123AwesomeMe123 Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I love this idea!

• goclmbmntgoclmbmnt Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Would totally use this idea.

• Shaon_LytlleShaon_Lytlle Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Has this been done yet? I'm so shocked that it's not an option...actually I'm not. Considering my monthly report loves to separate itself into two or three reports randomly (some months it does, others it doesn't thankfully). I still can't figure it out and neither can any of my co-workers. Adding a simple merge would save me and many others the anger and frustration of dealing with this, an issue that seems so obvious and simple if there is already a merge duplicates feature, but for some reason, it still seems to be floating around in "vote just for fun" Expensify democratic hell.

The hours that I waste on Expensify monthly between this and other reoccurring and random issues including none of my rules ever working with consistency (or at all in most cases), attempts to merge duplicates are merely an exercise for my clicking finger and not much else, reoccurring daily & more charges that I have had for almost two years can't be combined or funneled into one larger charge so I'm left to chose either individually renaming 40-60 items per month or....well I guess I can not submit my report and eventually get laid off. Food and a house are overrated.. following absurd entry conventions aren't!

Those are just the fond memories though... I do have my fingers crossed that this is the time my selection to not automatically set all my business card charges as reimbursable sticks though! This salt and pepper hair is coming on a little bit fast for my liking and so is this co-dependent relationship between myself and Expensify. Don't mind me though, I'm just losing my mind laughing at the absurdity of this situation as well as my hubris for thinking that I'd actually be able to spend less than two hours doing my expense reports this month! But Kathy Bates in Misery...I mean Expensify....had other thoughts. I love it here...I swear I do!

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Posts: 994Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Team

Hi @Shaon_Lytlle Welcome to the Expensify Community!

I took a quick peek in your account and you appear to be using Scheduled Submit, which I'm sure you're aware of, but you may not know that if you have violations on a report when it gets to the submit date, those expenses will be left behind on a different report. This can mean that you end up with multiple reports if you have also started a new report in the interim.

I recommend you set up a reminder in your calendar to check your expenses once a week, this will help alleviate the end of month catch-up and fix. I used to save up three months' worth of expenses and do them all at once before I used Expensify. Now I scan as I go and just do a quick check each week. It definitely helps.

• SeanDSeanD Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

+1 (I saw this was to be changed to a poll, but don't see it here).

• monica_blainmonica_blain Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Yes please! For some reason, Concierge keeps generating multiple reports under my employees. I would love to be able to merge them into one report.

• KenHKenH Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I would also second the need for a "Merge Reports" function which can be used by Administrators.

edited August 2018

@tylerzoll - I've been researching this topic a bit lately and I had a few hypothetical questions for you that I've been mulling over.

1. If two reports were to be merged, what would you expect the report comments to do? Do you think they'd comingle and be listed chronologically? Would the comments be stacked one report after the other?
    2. How about the new report? Would you expect the two reports to create a brand new report with a new report ID? Or would you expect that the expenses from one report would move to the other report?
    3. If we created a new report to house the expenses from the merged reports, would you want the old reports deleted automatically?

Any ideas you have would be great to hear!

• tylerzolltylerzoll Posts: 437Approved! Accountant Expensify Champion

@Sheena Trepanier I would think that whatever would be the easiest to engineer would be the best solution. I would think that for sure reports wouldn't be able to be merged once they have been submitted.

I would think that a record in the history that stated something like "'Old Report Name' 'Old Report number' merged into this report by 'User Name'" would be sufficient.

If a user just deletes a report, the expenses go to no report then without any history. I think this would be a similar situation. I also think it may become confusing for users pretty quickly if there are comments from a report that doesn't exist any more. Especially since there can be custom fields on the report. The Comments from the old report I don't think should apply to the combined report.

I think that just the expenses transferring over to the combined report and automatically deleting the old report would be good. I could be wrong though. There may be some compliance requirements that I'm not aware of or that I'm not thinking of.

• waxenfelterwaxenfelter Posts: 1Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Love this. Need a way to merge.

@tylerzoll - thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it!

Hi all! At some point in the past you've all shown or voiced support for merging reports. I wanted to take a moment to remind those of you who haven't voted for the idea please scroll to the top of this page and upvote!

Also, if you haven't shared your use case or voiced your ideas on how this would best function, please do! We have our own ideas but we really want to hear from you all as well!

Thanks so much!

@rapidsos @glglasser @C_Bradford_1 @analia @salevine @tstickney @8lackie @Rahhb @BruceRiv68 @Clasen @bassman430 @chrisp @kimmielol75 @Tegz @Daveweez @Julia @tylerzoll @pmoore @AwesomeMe123 @davidholman @AHT @Cathy @sbokov @SamAY @Clearion_CK @MJNiM @elk7x7 @lushlifeleo @SAOSBR @rclark @Luckycharms @ATAMY @monica_blain @ICS_Dave @NH_ESi @EByer @JTetrault_2018 @seancody @Jake @JeffMac @maprinci @goclmbmnt @Shaon_Lytlle @SeanD @KenH @waxenfelter

• KenHKenH Posts: 6Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Absolutely needed. I would favour the "Merge from Reports page" option - but either would work.

• jzrsjzrs Posts: 1Expensify Customer

This would be awesome! I recently accidentally created multiple expense reports and had to manually move them to the correct one.

Thanks, everyone! I want you to know that I'm still championing this feature and working on your behalf to get it developed.

Happy holidays!

• DaveweezDaveweez Posts: 181Expensify Customer Expensify Aficionado

The champion!

• askomeedaskomeed Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

=) Thanks Sheena

• CounterstrainCounterstrain Posts: 2Expensify Customer

Yes, please, this would solve most of my problems. And, I'd use it 90% of the time since receipts are coming at me directly from submitters and related expenses I purchase for them. I would like it even one step further - I'm not crazy about receipts going right into a report. I'd rather select from a bucket of receipts and make my own report initially. If I send someone to teach a course for the span of several weeks, I want all those receipts to be in a course bucket like "Fall 2019 Intro Course" and then I can easily add, edit, delete the bucket of receipts and when I'm done - select all then create a report.

• wchiawchia Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

yes please. Would be very useful!

• kpolimiskpolimis Posts: 1Expensify Customer

upvote, great idea