The app is loosing my receipts on IOS

I travel a lot internationally and rely heavily on expensify to track my receipts. I have made it my habit to take a picture immediately, so I don't have to hold on to bits of paper. As of a week ago the app is forgetting my receipts: I snap the picture, it says "Uploading..." and when I check again at the end of the day the receipt is gone without a trace. Since the app does not save the image on the phone, there seems to be no way of getting them back. They are lost. Do others have this problem? What is the solution? Is the image stored somewhere in the app where I can get at it again?

Answers

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 822 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @mslsailor Welcome to the Expensify Community!

'Uploading' means that the file is on its way to Expensify, and 'SmartScanning' means we have received it. Unfortunately, if your internet connection is a bit flaky and it never moves from Uploading to SmartScanning, you will lose the image.

I recommend that if the 'Uploading' takes more than a few seconds, you use your camera app to take a quick snap of the receipt, which means you can later upload it from the gallery.

We did use to keep a backup image on the camera roll but it was blowing out user's storage, so it was removed by popular request.

• mslsailormslsailor Posts: 3

Thanks for this recommendation. This is a good tip when traveling with a poor connection. I will try to keep it in mind. In the meantime, I have discovered the answer to the mysterious problem above: your "SmartScan" sometimes transcribes the date using the American format (month/day) rather than the rest-of-world format (day/month) causing the uploaded receipt to move to the very bottom of the list. It doesn't show on the app at all, but it does re-appear on the web, in a wrong month. Interestingly this is only happening to my breakfast receipts and started only a few days ago. The person who is helping the "SmartScan" during that shift might not be aware of differences in date format across the world...

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,896 Expensify Success Coach

Thank you @mslsailor for sharing this information and doing such a great job explaining what is happening. I'll bring this up with my team and see if we can't get some improvements into the system for recognizing date formats more accurately. You should see improvements to this but if this continues to be a problem, let me know.