How can I tag expenses to sort them?

JSNielsen
JSNielsen Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
edited March 2020 in Day to Day

I need to separate Cash and Credit card transactions. I make a note in the comment "cash" for the cash transactions. How can I now display for the year all the cash transactions?

Is there a better way to do this? The transactions may be reimbursable or not, so that the reimbursable check box doesn't help me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Isabela Stisser
    Isabela Stisser Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 200 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

Hey @JSNielsen, thanks for posting to the Community!

I checked your account and see that you don't have a credit card linked to Expensify yet, therefore all the transactions listed on your Expenses page are cash transactions.

Please note that Expensify will automatically list expenses as cash or card transactions, depending on how they were created, and this cannot be changed by users. A cash icon indicates the transaction was a manually-created or cash expense, a card icon indicates the expense was imported from a personal card, and a locked card icon indicates the transaction was imported from a managed company card.

For future reference, you can find a breakdown of the different icons in Expensify in this guide.

Once you import a credit card to your account, you will be able to sort card and cash expenses by date (and more) by using the filters on your Expenses page.

Let me know if you have questions and I will be happy to help!

• JSNielsen

Ok, you answered a different question. Let me rephrase my question so it is clear.

I have all "cash" transactions in expensify. Some of these transactions I want to keep differently from the others. In these different transactions note field I typed "Cash". I would like to get a report with only the transactions that contain "cash" in the note field. Is this possible?

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team

It's not possible to filter expenses based on the content of their Comment field. If you'd like to be able to filter expenses based on a "cash" designation, I recommend using a tag instead.

Are you currently using the tag field in Expensify?

• JSNielsen

I am not. Maybe that is just what I need. I would also be interested in learning about the credit card feature after we figure this out. I need a way to do this so I can do my end of year processing.
    Thanks

• Sheena Trepanier
    Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020

Hi @JSNielsen, great!

Since you're using Expensify with your Personal policy, you'll want to navigate to your Settings > Policies > click on [Personal] policy > Tags tab. From there you can add as many tags as you'd like. (below)

Once you've created your tags, you can apply them to expenses from the expense details, or you can apply them in-line from the Expenses page. (below)

Your Expenses page is also where you'll find the filters to narrow down expenses based on a specific tag.

Last, I wanted to send along this guide from our Help Center on importing expenses via credit card.

Cheers!