Can I have a unique expense report created for each connected credit card?

Options
MattHobby
MattHobby Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I am a single user wanting to use expensify for my wife and I to submit receipts to my bookkeeper and reconcile those within our accounting software, Quickbooks Online. I use specific credit cards for specific things and want to have a separate expense report for each card. Is that possible?

Answers

• Ted Harris
    Ted Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 359 Expensify Team
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @MattHobby, thanks so much for posting on the Expensify Community. It's great to have you here!

There's definitely a few ways to facilitate what you want to do with QuickBooks, but I'd start by asking the same question I ask anybody who's looking to separate expenses on arbitrary reports, especially if they're exporting to an accounting solution anyway, where they should be reconciled against the correct accounts the transactions were debited from anyway.

The best way to facilitate this would be to:

• Import your separate cards via Settings > Domains > [Domain Name]Company Cards
    • Set-up your connection to QuickBooks Online within your Company Policy settings
    • Setup the export options for your Company Cards under Domains to export to individual GL accounts

This option allows for you to add all transactions to a single or multiple reports, regardless of which card they were incurred on, meaning you can effectively group by trip, project or any other means you require if necessary without worrying about separating reports by card.

They can be submitted to your accountant as and when or on a specific schedule and Approved/Closed and exported to QuickBooks Online, where they will reconcile with the correct account as configured from the Domains > Company Card setting dropdown (the blue gear icon).

This also means you can set up cards to export as both Reimbursable and Non-Reimbursable and you don't have to rely on the specific export options in the QuickBooks Online export menu - these can then be used for all other out-of-pocket and personal card spend if required.

The second option if you're dead set on separate reports would be to enable the same options as above, but also set the preferred policy option from the Settings tab of the Domain settings:

With Domain imported cards too, you get the added benefit of being able to reconcile easily within Expensify via the Reconciliation Dashboard! Click here to learn more about this feature (that accountants love!)

I'm afraid if you're just importing cards via Settings > Your Account > 
    Credit Card Import, you'll simply have to manually segregate your reports. This can be most easily done at the end of the month by using Expense page filters:

1. Head to the Expenses page and define your data range with the Expenses page filters.
    2. You can filter by specific cards by using the Card filter dropdown
    3. Select all the expenses in this view by checking the box beside the Date column header.
    4. Click "Add to Report" after it appears in the top right-hand corner of the page.
      From here, select "New" and name the report "CARD NAME for DATE RANGE report".

If you're exporting these to different accounts in QuickBooks Online via different policies, you can select the correct policy within the newly created reports: