Does anyone know why some values export as Text?

Options
jbaxter
jbaxter Approved! Accountant Posts: 40 Expensify Admirer

I have a custom export template and some values as exported as text and need to be fixed before I can import to GP. Does anyone know how to fix this?
My export format is xls (because csv causes formatting issues with the GL code) and the custom formulas I'm using are:
Report Total column : {report:total:nosymbol}
Amount incl column: {expense:amount:negsign:nosymbol}
Same issues does not seem to account on Tax Amount column which is using formula {expense:tax:amount}

Answers

• Ted Harris
    Ted Harris Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 359 Expensify Team
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi @jbaxter, I'm afraid this is purely an issue with how your spreadsheet program (it looks to be Microsoft Excel) is outputting the Number 1007.03 and other four figure upwards numbers.

As you can see, it's simply adding a comma into the number but also then using that logic to confirm the cell is text. You'll note that if you were to open the exported .CSV file with a text editor, there's no comma inserted by Expensify upon export.

I'm not aware myself of any setting in Excel that you might want to enable/disable to this end, but currently there's nothing more that can be done in the export from Expensify to avoid this.

I'd be intrigued to hear from others in the Community who might have run into this in the past. You can't be the only Excel user here!