Are you receiving SNAP/EBT benefits? The Expensify.org/SNAP-VAX campaign is live and accepting new members. Learn more about receiving $50 for submitting a SNAP receipt and $50 for getting your COVID-19 vaccine here and join today!

Set default report

cbiow
cbiow Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer

As mentioned in multiple discussion threads, users should be able to designate a report that is not the "most recent" as the destination for newly arriving expenses.

10 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 845 Expensify Team

Hi @cbiow Don't forget to vote! Just click on the up arrow in the yellow box on your original comment. (Below)

• SSP_Perry
    SSP_Perry Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I just contacted support about this and they pointed me here to vote for this. Here is what I had sent:

Is there any way to make a selected report the top most report / the focus report in Expensify? I have 1-2 reports per week and I put them in up to 6 weeks in advance when I buy the plane tickets. The issue is that when you forward receipts (uber, hotels, etc.) during your travel week, they get added to the "top most" report in expensify which is often NOT the right report in my list. It would be awesome if there was some way to indicate WHICH report was the top most so the receipts could flow to it correctly.

Therefore, I strongly vote for this issue as it should be a simple change with a lot of benefit to users. I'd recommend a new button on the report form where you can select (checkbox) a report and "promote" it to the top/focused report.

• johnw
    johnw Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Scenario:

3 weeks out, I schedule a trip to happen in Sept. Create a report, Buy tickets, reserve a hotel. These expenses drop nicely into the report I just created.

2 weeks out, I schedule a second trip that won't occur until October. Create a report, Buy tickets, reserve a hotel. Again, these expenses drop nicely into the report I just created.

D-Day. I'm on the 1st trip. All day, every day, I am scanning and emailing receipts. And where do they wind up? In the freaking October Report! This is so annoying that I've taken to creating a bogus report just so new expenses don't get mixed up.

Yes, I know about bulk edit. Why should I have to? As I recall, "I wasn't born to do expenses"

The current behavior appears to be "new expenses are applied to the most recently created report"

Feature request:

Allow me to specify a report other than the most recent to receive new expenses. If not changed, then when that report is submitted, revert to most recent.

• LHarrington
    LHarrington Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    Yes, this should be a given. It baffles my mind that this would be something to request and vote on in a forum when it SHOULD be a basic part of the Expensify system. Extremely unprofessional to not have this ability. And I see requests for this feature going back for at least a year, which is absurd. Users need the ability to designate a default / placeholder folder for all new expenses/receipts coming in, so that they can go through and address them one by one before filing them into the appropriate official reports. I can't even believe they want this to be requested when it should already be in there.
  • bbos
    bbos Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer
    edited May 2020

Golly gosh I hate complaining, but the behaviour for me has changed again. I pay good money to Expensify and I feel like I and others are not being listened to.

I am a home user and keep a report per calendar year. At least I'd like to but this problem we've been discussing here is CONTINUING to cause problems.

It seemed that the default behaviour is to add everything to the last report created. 2019 was a right-off as I made the mistake of creating another report to use occasionally. When the start of 2020 rolled around I was all set. I created a new report and all expenses landed in it.

But now for some reason AND I HAVE CHANGED NOTHING, the default report is:

<me> Expenses to {report:autoReporting:end:yyyy-MM-dd}

Literally it is that text.

Why????

Please for God sake just add the ability to choose a default report.

• bbos
    bbos Expensify Customer Posts: 9 Expensify Newcomer

Ok ok ok, i will try to show patience. It has changed once again.

I worked out a solution for a default report by entering the desired name under the "Default Report Title" in Settings ] Policies ] <policy> ] Reports.

It worked flawlessly and EVERY EXPENSE I ADDED was included in this default report. But as of 6 days ago Expensify seems to have chosen another report to add items to. Why? I have not changed anything but to add expenses.

• Sonia Liapounova
    Sonia Liapounova Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 150 Expensify Team

@bbos Did you create an Expense Rule to add all of your expenses into the report you named?

The Default Report Title is the setting that governs what your new reports will be named when created, it doesn't set a report as your default report. However, if you name a report something unique and then create an Expense Rule to place all expenses into this report, then this may work as a workaround to this feature request.

More info on Expense Rules here