Lodging expense on Expensify

travelexpensestravelexpenses Posts: 2Expensify Customer

Hi,

I would like to ask if there’s an option if I have lodging expense on Expensify, is it possible the software represent automatically the city and the numbers of nights the reporters host in the hotel?

Answers

• travelexpensestravelexpenses Posts: 2Expensify Customer

Or is there an option it can be in separate fields for the name of the city and numbers of nights when there are Lodging expenses?
    Many thanks

• Ted PeetersTed Peeters Posts: 294Expensify Customer, Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

Hi there @travelexpenses, thanks so much for reaching out to the Expensify Community with this!

There's a few things I'd really love to clarify first - are you essentially asking if there is a way to:
    1. Extract the place you were staying at (whether that's the City or the Hotel name or the zip code etc)
    2. Extract the number of nights paid for at the place you were staying

...from any Lodging expense in Expensify? We definitely don't have that capability yet, but it sure sounds interesting. I'd love to hear how that would be of use to you.

Regarding a workaround for now:

is there an option it can be in separate fields for the name of the city and numbers of nights when there are Lodging expenses?

I'd advise either looking into Report Fields or expense Comments to capture that information.

Other than that, if you're looking for something that wouldn't have any sort of free text field aspect to it, and you were happy defining the places and number of nights to choose from, it might be worth looking at Policy Dependent tags to show something like Place of Lodging and Number of nights when Lodging is selected as the first level.

• cparsonscparsons Posts: 16Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

I have also raised this in the past, It would be good if there was somewhere to detail the number of nights. just like the attendee tracking functionality, if a colleague stays away for a number nights and you have a policy limit in place it displays as a violation. We are having to let it go through as a violation with the comment specifying the number of nights and doing a manual calculation on approval.

• saramundensaramunden Posts: 2Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Our company is also very interested in having this option on Expensify - it would be great to see the # of nights added for a lodging cost, resulting in cost per night that we can see (similar to when you can add Attendees and see cost per person for the meal).

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 578Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@saramunden @cparsons @travelexpenses Since I see there is growing demand for this option, if the work around provided by ted doesn't work for you, I think it would be beneficial to create and Idea post and vote on it. We use the Idea category to gauge demand for new features and these have a real chance of being placed on our roadmap.

• jenrobertsonINVjenrobertsonINV Posts: 20Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hello!

Would multi-level/policy dependent tags work based off of Category?

We have Lodging set up as a Category, and would like to create a tag based on that category where the user would have to enter extra information only if that category is selected.

It could work for the example above, but I'm looking to ask the question whether the hotel was booked using our TMC (TripActions). As you may be aware, hotels are one example where it can be prepaid (in this case, charged to our company card), or paid at the hotel and subsequently expensed via Expensify. For reporting purposes, it would be good to be able to exclude Expense data when a hotel was booked through TripActions as their data for the booking is much richer. It would also prevent the same expense from showing up in two different data sets. Last, it would give insight into leakage - how many hotels are not being booked using our TMC.

Thank you!

-Jennie

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,914Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @jenrobertsonINV, thanks for chiming in. Tags cannot be set dependently on categories. This means there is no way to have a list of tags populate based on the category selected.

This is a good idea though and one I've heard a few other times. I'd recommend checking the Idea category to see if there is one you can vote for and add your use case to.

• jenrobertsonINVjenrobertsonINV Posts: 20Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Thanks Sheena, will do. Spent the past couple hours searching and logging all of my ideas. Speaking of, here's one that is pertinent to this conversation:

https://community.expensify.com/discussion/4658/ideas-about-ideas#latest