Interested in learning how to navigate the ever-changing travel and expense management landscape? Join our webinar with TripActions on Thursday, March 21st @ 11:00 a.m. PST!

Lodging expense on Expensify

Hi,

I would like to ask if there’s an option if I have lodging expense on Expensify, is it possible the software represent automatically the city and the numbers of nights the reporters host in the hotel?

Answers

• Or is there an option it can be in separate fields for the name of the city and numbers of nights when there are Lodging expenses?
    Many thanks

• Ted PeetersTed Peeters Posts: 221 Expensify Success Coach

Hi there @travelexpenses, thanks so much for reaching out to the Expensify Community with this!

There's a few things I'd really love to clarify first - are you essentially asking if there is a way to:
    1. Extract the place you were staying at (whether that's the City or the Hotel name or the zip code etc)
    2. Extract the number of nights paid for at the place you were staying

...from any Lodging expense in Expensify? We definitely don't have that capability yet, but it sure sounds interesting. I'd love to hear how that would be of use to you.

Regarding a workaround for now:

is there an option it can be in separate fields for the name of the city and numbers of nights when there are Lodging expenses?

I'd advise either looking into Report Fields or expense Comments to capture that information.

Other than that, if you're looking for something that wouldn't have any sort of free text field aspect to it, and you were happy defining the places and number of nights to choose from, it might be worth looking at Policy Dependent tags to show something like Place of Lodging and Number of nights when Lodging is selected as the first level.

• cparsonscparsons Posts: 12 Expensify Newcomer

I have also raised this in the past, It would be good if there was somewhere to detail the number of nights. just like the attendee tracking functionality, if a colleague stays away for a number nights and you have a policy limit in place it displays as a violation. We are having to let it go through as a violation with the comment specifying the number of nights and doing a manual calculation on approval.

• saramundensaramunden Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

Our company is also very interested in having this option on Expensify - it would be great to see the # of nights added for a lodging cost, resulting in cost per night that we can see (similar to when you can add Attendees and see cost per person for the meal).

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 225 Expensify Success Coach

@saramunden @cparsons @travelexpenses Since I see there is growing demand for this option, if the work around provided by ted doesn't work for you, I think it would be beneficial to create and Idea post and vote on it. We use the Idea category to gauge demand for new features and these have a real chance of being placed on our roadmap.