Expenses move forward for approval without CC Merge, show as Cash

CIAdminCIAdmin Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

The Expenses move forward for approval without the merged credit card transaction. It shows as a violation for 7 days, but still moves forward. Then it's part of an approved report when the cc import shows up. (We have our reports on weekly auto submit due to the volume of users we expect to have after we get the kinks out of the process). The user then has to mark the cc import again to match the approved expense and accounting has to go find it and delete it. This should be a simple option that cash transactions are not allowed. The merge should be required and violation should hold back the expense.

8 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Isabela StisserIsabela Stisser Expensify Team Posts: 180 Expensify Team

Hey @CIAdmin, thanks for posting to the Community! Please note that credit card transactions should still automatically merge with cash transactions listed on approved reports, and in this case, prevent accounting from having to manually edit the reports and merge the expenses.

If the flow described above ins't happening, please take a look at this help article to learn more about receipt merge issues!

I understand that you would like this to be a hard stop violation and that reports aren't automatically submitted by Concierge, correct? Well, this is actually possible if you enable Strictly enforce expense policy rules in Domain Control.

You can find more information on how this works in this help article.

Let me know if you have questions and I will be happy to help!

• CIAdminCIAdmin Expensify Customer Posts: 7 Expensify Newcomer

I'm getting conflicting information. Interesting, because we have both of those suggestions initiated. Expensify rep said it wasn't possible at this time and to post it in IDEAS. Here is the response: I can definitely understand how that would make submission of reports more cumbersome--while there is currently no way to accomplish this, I can see why it would be helpful. One workaround you could consider, at least to lessen the burden on the accounting team would be to change the frequency on your Scheduled Submit feature. If this was pushed to Monthly submission, it would allow more time for those transactions to import and merge.
    A great way to start a discussion around this option as a feature is to add it to the Expensify Community. The most popular ideas found here are reviewed by the Expensify team and are considered for addition as features.

• Isabela StisserIsabela Stisser Expensify Team Posts: 180 Expensify Team

Hey @CIAdmin, sorry for the confusion! Please note that my colleagues recommendation is correct. A good workaround would be to change the Scheduled Submit frequency to allow the credit card transactions to import and merge with the cash expenses.

However, if you don't want to change the frequency then I recommend to enable to feature in Domain Control to make this violation a hard stop and prevent reports from being submitted. Right now we are flagging a violation but employees are still being able to "mark as cash", correct? If Strictly enforce expense policy rules is on then employees wouldn't be able to mark expenses as cash and submit their reports until the card transaction comes in.

Let me know if you have questions and I will be happy to help!

I understand and yes, we have actually had that rule enabled, so the expense shows the violation of the missing cc merge. The expense still forwards with the violation before the 7 day hold is over (usually about 2 days later). This is the issue that I was asking to be corrected. It sounds like it is designed to work to hold the cash expense to wait for the cc merge, however it is not force stopping even with the rule. Our Accounting Department has to reject the report, then merge the expenses for each individual expense and for each user. Super time consuming.

Just checking in for response to my comment above. This is making a mess. When accounting reconciles, they have to unapprove reports to merge cc transactions that came in after the receipt and expense forwarded for approval. Then approvers get a load of notifications in their inbox to approve reports they already approved. We haven't even launched this company-wide yet.
    How do we hard stop the red cc merge violation? Enabling the rule isn't making that happen.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,317 Expensify Team

Hi @CIAdmin, sorry for the delay here I missed your reply. I want to look into this for you, so I'll be reaching out via email so we can discuss in a less public space, which will make asking for examples an option.

The email will have the subject "Expensify -- Community help request followup". I'm drafting it in a moment and look forward to working more closely with you.

• LauraLLauraL Expensify Customer Posts: 12 Expensify Newcomer

Agreed - this is really annoying. I now have to spend lots of time in the "cash/other" filter to see what is actually a credit card expense and make sure I don't add it to a report until it changes into something else. The merge feature is also typically manual - Expensify does NOT do a good job of matching $ amounts and dates of submitted expenses to credit card imports, so I'm really doing that manually 100% of the time. The reports don't always highlight what is a cash expense. For example right now I have a report with several items that are pending CC import (and also pending on my CC) which don't have a flag and others that are in same state that do have the flag. I want to make sure that anything on a report that is still in "cash" mode has a flag. That way I don't end up with duplicate expenses which is so annoying and requires a lot of Quickbooks time to resolve/void.

• SPofficeSPoffice Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I can see how some users can benefit from allowing cash transactions, but it is simply not working for companies that only use credit cards. We are currently on a weekly submit schedule and are still frequently getting duplicate and misread transactions. Please add a policy setting to enable/disable cash expenses. In order for Expensify to work for our company, we need expenses to submit only if they match a downloaded credit card transaction.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 497 Expensify Team

Hi @LauraL and @SPoffice! Thanks for adding your use cases. Because cash expenses have the violation if a credit card is connected to an account, I wanted to ask if your users are clicking Mark as cash on their expenses with this violation in order for it to submit?

If you are seeing a lot of issues with credit cards and cash expenses merging, I recommend reaching out to [email protected] so we can troubleshoot these expenses directly.