Transaction import from Wells Fargo paused. Please visit our status page for more details and to subscribe to updates.

QuickBooks Online integration - 1 transaction for expense and 1 for payment

DaleHDaleH Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

For the integration with QuickBooks Online, I would like to see Expensify create a transaction for the expense with the credit to AP and then a transaction for the payment when that occurs (debit AP, credit Cash). This is the way Bill.com works. The way Expensify currently works, if the expense or the payment are in different periods you have to chose which one, and then if necessary create an manual to account for either the Expenses or the payment.

1 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Expensify Team Posts: 497 Expensify Team

@DaleH We currently do this when exporting reimbursable expenses as vendor bills and using Expensify ACH. We create a vendor bill based on your export date and then we create a payment with the date of the reimbursement. I do see that you are using ACH reimbursement on your US policy so you could use this feature. We don't have a way to do this with your Canadian policy because ACH reimbursement isn't available.

• DaleHDaleH Expensify Customer Posts: 6 Expensify Newcomer

Can you help understand the difference in Vendor Bill and Check for the QBO export? The online help does not provide much documentation and we originally had the export as Vendor Bills and then, I think, were advised to change to Check. I don't recall the details as it was early last year.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 749 Expensify Team

Hi @DaleH !

Vendor Bill - this raises a bill with the Employee as Vendor and marks it as paid when then reimbursement is processed.

Check - this is essentially the same as cutting an old-fashioned check. I believe some companies still use them. For others it's representative of a payment with the payroll. It's direct from the bank account rather than having the paper trail of the Vendor Bill in between.

This is really why we recommend vendor bills as a rule. But I'm sure if we recommended the check option, it was probably the best for your use case.

I think one of the problems we were encountering with Vendor Bills is that transactions were being created in Bill.com through our Bill.com integration with QBO. Is there a recommended set up for Bill.com so that that does not occur? I think the Expensify, Bill.com and QBO is fairly common set up so there should be a way to do this so both integrations work.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,315 Expensify Team

Hi @DaleH, sure thing! We have a guide to setup the three-way connection in our Help Center here.

Let me us know if you have follow-up questions.

Thanks for that info. Its not exactly what I'm looking for. When Expensify is set up as a Vendor Bill, and it is integrated with QBO and Bill.com is connected to QBO, the Vendor Bills created in QBO by Expensify are then sent to Bill.com. I don't need them or want them in Bill.com, however apparently the Bill.com sync automatically brings unpaid Bills from QBO to Bill.com. However, there is no reason for them to be in Bill.com as they are paid via Expensify. Bill.com's instructions were to manually delete them, which just creates more work.

Can you clarify if this is happening for your US or Canadian policy? For the US policy, we shouldn't be exporting anything to QuickBooks until the reimbursement is initiated so the bills should be marked as paid as soon as their exported. For the Canadian policy because we can't use the feature that marks the bill as paid, these would show up in QuickBooks as open bills and we don't have a way on our end to prevent these from syncing to Bill.com.

• amymarielynnamymarielynn Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

We also have the 3 way connect with QB, Expensify, and bill.com. The expense reports we pay with ACH through Expensify show up as unpaid bills in bill.com and I have to go in and mark them as "Paid outside bill.com" and "do not sync" so we don't get duplicates in QB.

@Nicole Trepanier Can you explain what you mean by "you shouldn't be exporting anything to QB until the reimbursement is initiated so the bills are marked as paid"

When approving reports, I export each one to QB so I get that "export" icon, then I manually add up the total of all reports that will be reimbursed (so I know what will come out of the bank), then I hit the reimburse button for each one. If I reimburse first, the reports go into the "reimbursed" category and I lose track of which ones I need to add up for cash planning. If there was a batch process, this would be much easier. Can you think of a better way to process these?

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,315 Expensify Team

Hi @amymarielynn, thanks for joining the discussion. Nicole is referring to the use of Auto Sync (QuickBooks Online connection) and ACH reimbursement in Expensify to have reports exported automatically after reimbursement and marked as paid in QBO.

I took a look at your account and see you currently have Auto Sync disabled for your QBO connection. This feature would control when reports export. This means that after Final Approval, reimbursable reports would not export to QBO until after you'd initiated reimbursement in Expensify.

Then, using Sync Reimbursed reports, the corresponding bill payment would be created in Expensify and marked as paid.

An easy way to cash plan before reimbursing reports would be to export the reports to a CSV and use your spreadsheet software to total the report amounts. You can do this from the Reports page of your account and use the checkboxes to the left of reports to select them. I recommend exporting to the Report Level Export option to quickly total the report amounts. Doing this should allow you to use Auto Sync and save you valuable time processing reimbursements and exporting reports manually.

I hope this extra information helps but let us know if you have any other questions!

Hi - Just picking up on this again. This is in reference to the 1st response from @Nicole Trepanier. I changed the my US Policy back to Vendor Bill. I don't see anything on the QBO Connection that specifies when the Auto Export occurs. It looks like Export to QBO occurs at Approval, not at Reimbursement as its currently set up. Does that change when we move to Vendor Bill to export at Reimbursement? If not, it seems like there is going to be gap between when the expense is approved and exported to when it is reimburse, which can take several days even if the reimbursement is done at the same time of approval.

@DaleH On the Advanced tab of your configuration, you'll need to enable Auto-Sync. This feature is what determines when reports are exported. When enabled, we will only export reimbursable reports once the reimbursement has been initiated in Expensify. This means that the bills should be marked as paid upon export. This only works when you have ACH reimbursement enabled in your policy.