Interested in learning how to navigate the ever-changing travel and expense management landscape? Join our webinar with TripActions on Thursday, March 21st @ 11:00 a.m. PST!

Admin Onboarding Webinar Q&A - January 3rd

StephSteph Posts: 27 Expensify Success Coach

Today’s recording is here and the guide is here.

Setup Tasks

Can you email me the steps to set up?
Sure thing! You can find step by step instructions for getting started with a Group policy here.

If you have three small businesses, could you set up three policies ?
Yes, that’s exactly right! You’ll want to create a policy for each business - that will allow you to keep expenses for each businesses separate. Keep in mind, you can create additional policies at no extra cost!

We have employees who were using Expensify on their own, and we would like to adopt it company-wide and create a Group policy. Should the employees with existing Expensify accounts delete their account to start fresh on the Group policy?
Great question! I would not recommend those employees delete their Expensify account, rather you should be able to invite them to the Group policy with their existing account. For context, in Expensify an account represents an individual user and is tied to the email address that the user uses to log in. A Group policy is the framework through which expense reports are submitted by individual user accounts for approval. With that being said, an individual user account can be a member of any number of Group policies. So in this case, you can simply invite the existing user accounts to your company’s policy and they can begin submitting reports on your policy. If these users signed up with personal email addresses and you’d like for them to add their work email address to their account, check out this guide on adding a Secondary Login.

Are there options for us to get 1:1 live assistance while setting up our account?
No, there is not but we find that most customers are able to set up their policy with little guidance - remember you can always search for anything you need on our Online Knowledge Base or use our Customer Community! If you’re not getting the answers you need, you can reach out to our Success team at [email protected] as well

If we don’t need Domain Control, would it be better to downgrade to a Collect policy type? We don’t have multiple teams or company cards.
Other than offering Domain Control (the place where Company Cards are assigned), the main difference between the Collect and Control policy types is that Control offers custom advanced approval workflows and connects with a longer list of integrations. You can see the full difference between these policy types here.

Expenses

Are we able to set maximum expense amount by Category?
You sure can, if you have a Control policy. On your Categories page, you’ll be able to do by selecting the blue cog icon next to that Category, where you can choose to set a max amount per individual expense, or per day. More info on that here.

If an employee has a personal credit card connected to their Expensify account via their Account Settings, how can they keep business and personal charges separate?
When you say “personal charges” are you referring to personal non-reimbursable expenses? If an employee has a personal card connected on their account, they should just omit any personal expenses from their expense reports that they submit to ensure they are never reimbursed for those expenses.

I would like to configure my policy so that reports must must be submitted by a certain day of the month, and if the employee submits after that date the report is rejected. Is this possible?
There is not a way to automatically reject expenses past a certain date, however you can set a max expense age under Settings > Policies > [policy name] > Expenses under the Violations section. When you set a max expense age, any expenses older than that number of days will result in a Violation. Expenses with violations cannot be automatically submitted, so when the employee submits it they will need to acknowledge the violation and it will also carry over to each approver on the expense, where they can opt to reject it. More info on that here.

I am part of a small company and we need to create billable expenses and non-reimbursable expenses for export to my accounting integration. How can I upload the receipts and then categorize them appropriately?
For any expense, you’ll be able to open the expense to apply the necessary categories and tag. When you apply that coding to expenses, it will be mapped to those accounts when the reports are exported to your integration. You’ll be able to do that for both non-reimbursable and billable expenses - they will all be treated the same in Expensify. Does that make sense?

How can I align expenses to different clients? Is this through separate policies?
This depends - are you managing your clients' expenses for them, or are you incurring expenses on behalf of a client and need to label them based on which client they are associated with? If the former, yes you will want to create separate policies. However, if you just need to associate expenses with a client (perhaps you are re-billing them), you will want to add your list of clients to Expensify as Tags - if you’re using an accounting integration, you can import this list directly from there into Expensify. From there, you will apply those Tags (i.e. clients) to each expense and mark it as billable!

Is there a way to set a budget for each employee?
No, there is not. There is a way to make a per-category expense limit though, so you could set the max amount that an employee can spend in any given category per day. You can learn more here.

Reimbursement

How long does it take for employees to get reimbursed after their expenses are approved?
If the report is under $100, reimbursement could take place in as little as 1 business day thanks to Rapid Reimbursement. For reports over $100, reimbursement will defer to typical ACH speed (4-5) business days. You can learn more about ACH reimbursement here.

Does it cost any extra to send ACH reimbursement through Expensify?
No, there is no extra cost! As long as you have validated a withdrawal account with Expensify, you will be able to reimburse reports within Expensify.

Will I add the deposit account on behalf of employees, or does each employee add their own bank account?
The employee will need to add their deposit account themselves - an Admin cannot do this on an employees’ behalf. To walk them through adding their deposit account, you can pass along these instructions to employees.

What dates are the "Twice a month" Scheduled Submit?
If you select “twice a month” for Scheduled Submit, expenses will submit on the 15th and last day of each month. Check out this guide to Scheduled Submit frequencies for more details.

Managing People

Is there a way to send out reminders for employees to submit reports?
Concierge does send out a weekly reminder email to remind employees of any items awaiting their action in Expensify - you can learn more about the email in this Community post. If you want to manually send out a reminder to any individual employee, you can always post a comment in the Report History and Comments section of the report - this will send an email to the employee containing the comment, as well as a link to the report so that they can take care of it ASAP! Both the weekly reminder and the report comment email will be delivered to the employee’s email inbox, rather than their Expensify Inbox.

If you make a change to something in Expensify, like a Category for example, is there a way to send a notification employees?
No, there isn’t a way to notify employees of policy changes like that in Expensify. Typically we find this is not necessary - employees don’t usually need to know when an admin has made a tweak to the coding within the policy. If you do need to send a notification like that, you would need to send it outside of Expensify.

Does a co-pilot have to have an account?
Yes. For context, the CoPilot will log into their own account and then switch over to view the other user’s (the pilot) account - so they will need to have their own account to log into. You can learn more about the CoPilot role here.

How do you make someone a Policy Admin?
For someone who is already a member of your policy, just head to Settings > Policy > [policy name] > People and select the blue cog icon next to their name. From there, just select “Policy Admin”. Check out this doc for visual instructions.

Billing & Ownership

So the costs is $18/each person per month - did I see that there is a discount for Quickbooks clients?
The Expensify Control plan is $9 per user per month on an Annual Subscription and $18 per user per month on the Pay-per-use plan. It is possible that Quickbooks may a discount, but you would want to reach out to Intuit for more information - that would not be managed from within Expensify.

From a billing perspective - is the Billing Owner considered the responsible party for all costs. In this case I am the process manager and my boss will be charged for all fees?
Yes, that's correct - the billing owner will be charged for all costs across all users on the policy. You can confirm the billing owner under Settings > Policies > Group, where you can see a list of each policy you are a member of and the billing owner.

Why am I being billed varying rates for the users on my policy?
Hm, I’m not quite sure - there could be a variety of reasons. The billing owner can see the number of active users, as well as a full breakdown of the billing charges under Settings Settings > Your Account > Billing. If the billing is still not clear, please reach out at [email protected] and we can take a look into your account.

If you are the Billing Owner on a Group policy, are you billed for all of the users on the policy? I have several direct reports that started using Expensify on their own and I would like move everyone onto the Group policy instead. How do I do that?
Sure thing! To move them onto the Group policy, you’ll just need to invite them to the policy under Settings > Policies > Group > [policy name] > People. Once they are invited to your policy, you (the Billing Owner) will be billed for their usage of Expensify. If they have their own paid policy that they wish to discontinue, they’ll want to make sure to downgrade the policy - you can find instructions for downgrading here.

What is the benefit of pay per use? When should we have the subscription plan?
Sure thing! The subscription plan is going to cost less than the pay-per-use plan but it does require a commitment to a minimum number of users. The pay-per-use does not require a commitment, you will not have the savings you would get with the subscription. You can learn more about billing here.

Integrations

Can you categorize expenses with the Chart of Accounts from your accounting program?
You sure can! Once you connect your accounting integration (either via a direct integration or via flat file import) your COA will import into Expensify as Categories. You can apply those Categories to expenses and then export them to your accounting integration with that coding attached!

I cannot see the option to add a Tag on my policy
Hm, are you using an accounting integration with Expensify? If so, you’ll need to add the Tag in that integration and then sync your integration to pull it into Expensify.

Where can I get step by step instructions to set up and manage/maintain the use of Expensify and the data in and over to QBO?
"When you connect your policy to QBO, you’ll be able to import your COA as Categories, as well as a variety of other dimensions like Tags, Customers, etc. There will really be no maintenance required - changes made in QBO will sync automatically to Expensify. You can find instructions for establishing the connection here and you can find more information on configuring the coding here.

Advanced

I am a freelancer (business owner and I'm the only employee). Is there a way to scan in all my receipts to help me track expenses that are personal versus business?
Are you tracking expenses as an individual (i.e. not submitting to a manager or reimbursing employees)? If so, you may be interested in our Track plan instead - this will go into using Expensify to document spend, Categorize and Tag expenses and complete the IRS Schedule C. We have a webinar for that use case - you can register here.