Admin Webinar Q&A - January 15th 2019

IsabelaStisserIsabelaStisser Posts: 225 Expensify Success Coach
edited January 29 in Webinars

Today’s recording is here and the guide is here.

Setup Tasks

I don't know what kind of plan we have. We need the Control plan, how do I find out what plan do we have?

Please head to Settings > Policies > Group > Click on the Policy name and Overview to find that information.

Can anyone create a policy or only Admins?

Any user will be able to create a policy but only policy admins will be able to add users to a policy.

How do you create a tag and assign it to an expense?

If you wish to add personal categories or tags, this can be done via the website under Settings > Policies > Individual > [Policy Name]> Categories (or Tags).
To create new categories or tags in your group policy, navigate to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Categories (or Tags). At the bottom of the page you will see the option to add a new category.

If you have an accounting package connected to your policy then you will need to update your categories or tags in your accounting package and then sync your connection under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections > Sync Now.

The list of displayed categories and tags is dependent on the selected policy. Categories and tags added to your individual policy will be available when the individual policy is selected. Categories and tags added through group policy settings will be available when your group policy is selected.

Once the expense is created you will see a Tag field and when clicking on it, you will be able to select the tag that you want to apply to the expense.

How can I create a header Tag and a sublist related to that Tag? I have 3 different lists I need to have available Location. Dept and Projects.

You can accomplish this by using our Multi-level tags feature. Please take a look at this help article for more information on this.

How can I delete a tag that I do not want to use?

You'll need to be a Policy Admin to delete any Tags or Tag Levels from your Company Policy. Navigate to Settings > Policies > [Policy Name]> Tags to manage the Company Policy tag settings.

Note: If you are using an accounting integration such as Xero, NetSuite, or QuickBooks in Expensify, categories and tags must be deleted on the accounting side first. It's not possible to delete these directly in Expensify.

We need to change our account to collect receipts how can we do that?

You can upgrade to Collect or Control by navigating to https://www.expensify.com/pricing.

How do I become an Approved! Accountant?

Feel free to take a look at our ExpensifyApproved! accountant program for more information.

Must copilots also have an Admin account?

Nope. A Copilot is another user who has delegated access to your account while a policy admin has total control over the group policy settings. If you need one specific user to have access to an specific account in Expensify but you don't want to change this user’s role to Policy Admin, that's totally fine. Please take a look at this help article for more information on user roles.

Expenses

I have cash expenses set to reimbursable, how do I change expenses that are set as reimbursable to non-reimbursable?

You can open the expense and uncheck the reimbursable box, then select the non-reimbursable box. An Admin for the company policy can set expenses to default as non-reimbursable. Just go to Settings > Policies > [Policy Name] > Expenses > Expense Basics, and disable Default new cash expenses as reimbursable.

How can you mark a report as Closed?

If you create an expense report that you don’t need approved by anyone, you can either Submit the report to yourself (if you want a copy of the report emailed to you) or you can "Mark As Closed." The report will then be in "Closed" status. To mark a report as closed just click on the report and cick on the Mark as Closed button.

We have to track which reports we have manually data entered into another application. What would you suggest we use? I thought we would be able to used closed, but based on a previous answer only the submitter can mart a report closed.

If you are exporting to a CSV, the report will show an exported icon on your Reports page.

How does the OCR know what expense to put a specific expense into?

Expensify uses sticky categorization, so once you’ve categorized an item, Expensify will automatically apply that category to that merchant going forward.

Managing People

Can I assign one policy to a group of users and have a second policy for another group of users since they have different receipt required amounts?

Yes, that's exactly the workflow you should be following here.

What is the difference between a co-pilot and an additional account admin? Can there be more than one admin in an account? Our cfo was added as a copilot in our corporate account but she needs to be able to make changes to our account policy.

A Copilot is another user who has delegated access to your account while a policy admin has total control over the group policy settings. There can be as many policy admins as you would like! Please take a look at this help article for more information on user roles.

Billing & Ownership

If you have more than one policy - is there a charge/separate plan for that second policy?

As long as the Billing Owner is the same, you can create multiple policies without any additional cost. You'll still be charged based on the number of active users across your policies. Regardless of how many policies a user has activity on, you will only be charged once for them.

You can create additional policies from the Settings > Policies page by clicking "New Policy".

Are users charged a plan per policy or is one plan for the whole Expensify account?

Expensify defines an active user as anyone that has edited (i.e. created, submitted, approved, exported, etc.) report data on a Policy in a given month. Copilots taking report actions on behalf of another user are counted as separate actors. Each active user can submit an unlimited number of expense reports in that month at no extra charge.

If a user is invited to a policy by an party outside our org. for submitting reimbursements, will our bill go up?

Yes, the billing owner will be billed for all members of the policy.

Integrations

If we have two separate companies that have separate Quickbooks accounts - do I need to have two separate Expensify accounts or just separate policies? Can one account within Expensify connect to different Quickbooks accounts?

Please note that you don't need to create separate accounts to connect to QuickBooks. You can create each policy for each company and connect each policy separately to QuickBooks then!

Under connections, QB Desktop it has the connect and do not connect. If I select do not connect to start-maybe do one month of expenses within Expensify and then turn on the connect to QB Desktop in the 2nd month, does that mean I have to completely reset up QB Desktop or can I just 'turn it back on.'

You would need to connect the QBD connection all over again by entering the credentials and choosing the settings. Be aware that your tags and categories will no longer import automatically from QB, so you’ll need to manually make those changes going forward.

If you remove your QuickBooks integration, be aware that your tags and categories will no longer import automatically from QB, so you’ll need to manually make those changes going forward. Otherwise, you shouldn’t have any problems!

Which versions of Dynamics does expensify integrate with? We have Dynamics GP 2018 in a terminal server environment.

Expensify has an indirect integration with all versions of Dynamics. Learn more about that in this help article.

Company Cards & Domain Control

How can we add credit cards that are not through a bank?

The easiest way to figure out if Expensify has a direct connection to your bank is to head to Settings > Your Account > Credit Card Import and click Import Card/Bank (or Domain Control > Company Cards for company cards). From there, search for your bank in the search box (you can search by name, or your online banking URL). If your bank shows up, choose that option and follow the prompts.

If the search returns "No results" your bank can still be supported via spreadsheet import, which you can learn more about here.

If these are company cards, it's possible that you might be able to obtain a commercial feed directly from your bank.

We have home depot credit cards for some of our employees. Can we have a direct connection to home depot?

I'm sorry but Expensify does not provide a connection with Home Depot credit cards.

For Domain Control, everyone using Expensify that is an employee would need an email address on our domain, correct? Many of our users do not have this, but use rather a gmail, hotmail, etc. account.

The users will need to have an account that matches the domain. Please note that you can still invite users, such as contractors or freelancers, with non-company emails to your Expensify policies. To invite these types of users, simply add them to your policy just as you would invite employees. To invite users, just navigate to Settings > Policies > [Policy Name]> People > Invite.

Regarding the credit card information flow, does it auto populate the expense reports with the category from the credit card company?

The categories will need to be manually selected by users. However, please note that Expensify uses the concept of implicit (think "sticky") categories. Each time you categorize a particular merchant, we will remember what you chose and automatically apply that same category the next time that same merchant comes up.

If you would like to default all expenses to be coded with a particular setting, such as automatically categorized/tagged in a certain way, you can set up a universal Expense Rule for all merchants. You can do this under Settings > Your Account > Expense Rules. To learn how to set that up, take a look at this help doc.

Note: This can only be done by each policy member and cannot be enabled on behalf of policy members by a Policy Admin.

In Domain Control, can you add a company card but hold off emailing the employee inviting them to Expensify?

The employee would need to be added to Domain Control first before the card is assigned to him. This means that they would have already gotten the invite.

Can you provide more information on the reconciliation dashboard?

You can find more information and instructions on how to use the reconciliation dashboard in this help article.

This discussion has been closed.