Currency Import Problems

tbjsextontbjsexton Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

The receipts I am scanning are in PHP currency. I have PHP set as my default currency in the policy. When smart scanning, it is populating as AUD. Is this because it is detecting my current location or what?

Answers

• Vanessa RintalaVanessa Rintala Posts: 42 Expensify Success Coach

For your convenience, I will always convert your expenses back into your default currency. Free users can set their default currency in their individual policy. Paid users' default currency is set by the company admin. If you have currency surcharge enabled it will be applied once expenses are added to an Open report. More information on how different currencies work can be found on our help doc.

If you turn on Location Services in the app, I will automatically apply the currency applicable to your location when you SmartScan your receipts. You can definitely disable that, as needed! Let me know if you have any questions!

• tbjsextontbjsexton Posts: 10 Expensify Newcomer

Thank you Vanessa. The default currency is correctly set, but I suppose that I may have opened a new report before setting the default currency. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but it is still populating the currency with AUD about 50% of the time when the default is set to PHP using the smart scan. For the time being, I just select multiple expenses and change the currency in the report. I am using my PC to input the receipts. Is there a location service with the online Expensify program using a PC? If so, how do I disable that?
    Much appreciated!

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 767 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @tbjsexton, I'd like to look at this closer.

Can you give me examples of a couple of expenses incorrectly set? i.e. merchant, date and amount?

No trouble. Here are a few screenshots that show what is going on. All smart scanned. In one case it came up IDR currency. Not sure why that would happen.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,596 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @tbjsexton, thanks for the patience. I took a long look into those receipts and had a follow up question for you.

You mentioned a few times, using the location you were in when you uploaded the receipt to determine the currency. Because of this, I was wondering if you are in different locations while uploading receipts? Also, which method do you usually use to upload receipts?

For transparency, we determine the currency based on the location of the user when they upload a receipt. If you're using the mobile app, we determine that by using your GPS when the receipt was uploaded. If you're uploading via a web browser or using receipt forwarding, we use the IP address of the device you're using to upload the receipt.

Yes, I am uploading a backlog of Philippines receipts from Australia using drag drop from a file folder on my PC to the online Expensify via Chrome browser. If there is a way to turn off the location service, it would save me an additional step. Strange though it came up with Indonesian Rupiah on one expense. Thanks much.

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 767 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @tbjsexton you can definitely turn off location services on your phone. And you could change your default currency to PHP in your Policy while you take care of the backlog.

We definitely recommend you do your SmartScans as soon as you get the expense, with your location services on, so that our system can know what to use.

Was the expense in IDR actually correct or should that have been in PHP also?

Ok, thanks for the tips. Should have been PHP. Maybe the OCR just read it wrong.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,596 Expensify Success Coach

If you see incorrect currencies applied in the future that don't correspond with your location, let me know and we can dig deeper.