Does Expensify work on a Sony mobile phone

I use a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android phone to run the Expensify application. After a recent download this became unusable because when trying to take a receipt photo for smart scanning purposes the camera and application simply freezes and the only way out of it is to terminate the app. I was told that this would be fixed in the next release so I persevered by taking photographs then uploading them rather than using the app to do it automatically. The 'next' release came along recently but the problem persists. Realizing that Sony is probably not a popular brand in USA then perhaps this seems of little consequence. But in South and South East Asia (over 1.5 billion people) where Samsung and the large Chinese brands (not Apple which has less than 10% market share) are the most popular then it is more of an issue (Japan has over 5% Sony mobile phones). The only app I have issues with on my Sony phone is Expensify. Does anyone know of any rectification for this issue?

Answers

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 375 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @mikej0. Can you tell me what version of Android you currently have on your phone? Our app should work with your phone because it's compatibility is based on the operating system not on the phone manufacturer.

• tnegristnegris Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I have had exactly the same experience with my Sony Xperia X Compact (F5321) phone. Android Oreo 8.0.0 Build 34.4.A.2.118. This has been going on for months. It takes me hours to take pictures and upload files for a long expense report and delete all the pictures from my phone. I see other postings about this all over the place. How is it possible that you have not been able to work with Sony to fix this problem after so many months?

• mikej0mikej0 Posts: 2

Like the previous comment I experienced the problem with Android 8. My phone has now upgraded to Android 9 but the problem persists. Build 47.2. A. 4.41. Might I suggest you source one of those phones, install Expensify and try it for yourself. Will fail immediately. 'Should Work' is not a good solution.

• RachCHopkinsRachCHopkins Posts: 870 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @mikej0 I just answered @tnegris on a different post, but the answer is just as relevant to you...

We have a list of phone models which are experiencing issues, and we release fixes regularly which are whittling down the list of users having issues, unfortunately your particular issue has been going on for some time I see, and for that I apologise. We're definitely not resting on our laurels here, and we are working with external agencies on this to get a complete and permanent fix asap.

• OliverZOliverZ Posts: 2

Hi all. I have the same issue with a Sony Xperia XZ3 running Android Version 9.

This camera problem seems to exist with Expensify since over a year (of course different device types, but in general with Android)

Until last year I have been using another app - Xpenditure, which worked smooth without any issues, regardless of the device type.

I am expecting that such a main functionality - scanning and adding the receipts to your expense notes - should be as smooth as possible. A workaround recommended since > 1 year to different users is not the right solution!

Looking forward to a real solution!

Oliver

Hi @OliverZ Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Yes, similar issues have been occurring for a few users for a long time, and we are still working on fixing the root cause. We have released many fixes which have whittled it down, but there is a small handful for whom this continues to be an issue, unfortunately.

• OliverZOliverZ Posts: 2

Hi RachCHopkins.

Thanks for the fast reply. I can understand this, yet it is not satisfying to my problem. (even that I am only part of the small handful ;-)

Will there be a fix to it and when will this be available?

BR

Oliver

Hi @OliverZ all I can say is we're working on it. The rest of the details around this are commercially sensitive - it's part of a larger exercise!