Custom fields for expenses

johnsalomonjohnsalomon Expensify Customer Posts: 4 Expensify Newcomer
edited February 2019 in Ideas

Define custom fields for expenses beyond the current ones. Examples:

• supplier VAT number (free text)
  • unique expense code for those of us who need to physically write an identifier on receipts before photographing/uploading them, and include that identifier in the submitted report

Ideal would be for these fields to be mappable to corresponding columns in the export format (I assume this would be doable with a formula).

Tagged:
8 votes

Gathering use cases · Last Updated

Comments

• Conor PendergrastConor Pendergrast Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 100 Expensify Team

Hey John, while the free-text fields aren't possible at the expense level, you can absolutely have lists of items like Locations, Projects and Customers at the expense level. Those are called Tags, and here's a help page on that topic.

You can also export the tag option to your accounting system via spreadsheet too, using the formula {expense.tag} if you have one level of tags, or {expense:tag:ntag-1}, {expense:tag:ntag-1} etc if you have multiple level of tags.

• BrendonBrendon Expensify Customer Posts: 1

Surprised this doesn't have more votes, this is probably the biggest problem I have with Expensify and likely the reason we won't use it long term.

It would be very useful if you could add a custom text field to Expenses, not just the report.

• KevinAKevinA Expensify Customer Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Definitely adding my vote. I desperately need a free text field at expense level to note project numbers