Year end Reporting

Dello
Dello Expensify Customer Posts: 2

I was told there's no way to create a year end summary report complete with a copy of each receipt. Note that I don't want a simple web address taking me to the expense receipt because if I'm ever audited, I want to just hand in the entire summary of my expenses vs having to dig through my expenses to find the one. I was also told that if I wanted to create a single document (PDF) with a copy of all receipts to keep myself then I would have to go through each individual expense and create the pdf. This is obviously not feasible given that I have at least several hundred expenses.

There has to be a better way and if not this seems like a pretty obvious feature to add into the app.

Answers

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team

Hi @Dello Welcome to the Expensify Community!

Yes, that is correct - you can produce a CSV export with every transaction and a link to each receipt image.

Or, you can send your individual expense reports to PDF if you want a PDF with receipt images embedded in it.

I recommend you use the CSV approach - if you are audited, the auditors can click through to open the image from the cloud.

• Dello
    Dello Expensify Customer Posts: 2

Have you ever been audited and the auditor has agreed to click on the links to locate the receipts?

• Rachael Hopkins
    Rachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 904 Expensify Team
    edited February 2019

Hi @Dello, I guess it all depends on where you are in the world.

I'm in New Zealand and IRD has a policy that all materials can be electronic as long as they can be opened, they're legible and can be printed if necessary, this has been in place since 2002.

As far as I can tell, the IRS (US) has allowed this since 1997 and the ATO (Australia) since 2005.

If you're not sure what records can be kept electronically in your country, I recommend that you consult with your local tax expert. :) (Saying this for the benefit of anyone who comes across this post, because I believe you are in the US)