Why can I not get reimbursed for cash expenses being the sole employee of my own company?

TT1TT1 Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

I am the sole trader in my company but also its sole employee.
Being paid a salary, any cash expenses made on behalf of the company should be reimbursed to my private bank account. I've elected to export reports to Quickbooks and therefore am obligated to use a group policy (as opposite to a personal policy).
Expensify system is set to not allow a group policy owner to reimburse an employee when these two roles are covered by the same user.
To get reimbursed in this case scenario, the only current option is to create a 2nd user AND pay the monthly $10 fee. As a single user, paying for two isn't fair.
So far, Expensify's concierge answer was "sorry about that. Can we help with something else?"
Has anyone faced a similar dead end and found a workaround?

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,796 Expensify Success Coach

Hello @TT1, thanks for joining and posting to the Community! I wanted to share some additional context that Concierge mentioned so that other customers will have more information here.

To help prevent fraudulent reimbursements Expensify does not allow approval and reimbursement to be completed by the same user. At least one other user needs to take part in the approval and reimbursement process. This means that another user will need to either approve the report or reimburse the report.

At this time there aren't any plans to remove this security precaution, but we are tracking requests to determine if a change is the best path forward. If we make any changes to this process we'll be sure to announce it in the Community and let you know on this thread.

• TT1TT1 Posts: 2 Expensify Newcomer

thanks @Sheena Trepanier for your reply.
    While I do understand there could be abuse in such set up, there is no legal obligation for Expensify to impose this rule.
    Why couldn't let the admin user decide to enforce this rule or not?

Again, to a single user and owner of my company, this rule is discriminatory.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 378 Expensify Success Coach

@TT1 We are actively looking into this option and we will let you know what is decided as soon as a decision is made. Let me know if you need anything else in the meantime.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 378 Expensify Success Coach

@TT1 Good news! We are going to be removing this restriction as it's not necessary for fraud prevention with our other security features. Until then, if you enable auto approval in your approval workflow, you will be able to reimburse your own reports without a second approver as concierge is approving your reports for you. I'll update here once we've done the update!

Let me know if you have any questions.