Interested in learning how to navigate the ever-changing travel and expense management landscape? Join our webinar with TripActions on Thursday, March 21st @ 11:00 a.m. PST!

How do you manage users NOT taking photos of their receipts while travelling?

JessLJessL Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

We rolled out Expensify to our office a few months ago but are looking for some advice.

We've discovered that when receipts are not photographed while the user is travelling abroad, but instead are photographed when he is back in the UK office, all the receipts default to GBP, which then needs to be corrected.

We've made sure our users have their location tracker switched on but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Ideally, we know users should photograph their receipts while travelling but sometimes this isn't possible and they need to do it in the UK office on their return .

Has anyone else had experience of this? How did you resolve or manage it?

Answers

• SophieExpensifySophieExpensify Posts: 2 Expensify Success Coach
    edited March 14

When Expensify scans a receipt, as long as the following conditions are met, SmartScan should identify the currency accurately.

• IP or GPS is enabled, and
    • There's an International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) currency code on the receipt, or
    • A unique currency symbol (e.g £ or €, but not $).

If the receipt doesn't have one of those pieces of the puzzle, or the location information is turned off/unavailable, then Expensify will default to the policy's currency.

But I am definitely interested to hear on how other people go about encouraging their users to be more timely! 😀

• JessLJessL Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

I'm specifically interested in those instances where the user does not photograph the receipt while travelling but waits until they are home - this seems to be the major issue on this one. Hopefully we'll get some responses from other admins to see how they manage this...

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,647 Expensify Success Coach

@Daveweez @tylerzoll @Aussiebandit @Julia, do any of you have employees traveling outside their home country and uploading receipts while on the trip as well as in their regular office? If so, do you have any tips to share with @JessL here?

Strictly speaking the employee should upload the receipt in the location they incurred the expense, with GPS enabled, so that the correct currency is applied. This isn't always possible though and on the occasions when the employee waits to SmartScan until they return from their trip, their GPS settings typically dictate their local currency is used.

Any insight you guys can share would be great!

• DaveweezDaveweez Posts: 152 Expensify Aficionado

Yeah we have this issue sometimes. We just manually correct it before submitting. Not sure if there is another good solution.

• tylerzolltylerzoll Posts: 405 Expensify Pro

To be honest, I have only ever had one foreign transaction for someone traveling outside of the US. I thought it was pure magic to me that Expensify automatically converted the currency for me.

I've been able to successfully convert most of my folks over to scanning the receipt immediately and not saving them until they do their report. That's probably the best suggestion that I have, just do more training.

• JessLJessL Posts: 8 Expensify Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. @Daveweez - what size is your travelling population? We have a lot of staff travelling fairly frequently so there's a lot of violations to try and figure out! It's starting to negatively impact a product that was received really positively at first :(

@Sheena Trepanier - do you have any contacts in companies with a population of around 700-800 regular Expensify users? It'd be great to hear some more about how they manage their travellers!

We have 260 employees. But only about 60 active users a month.

The best strategy is to have them connect to their credit card feed. So the smart scan matches it to the item in the feed.

But smart scan scan does have some issues with receipts in other currencies too.