QuickBooks - Bill.com

CPAFirm_WallaceCPAFirm_Wallace Posts: 24Expensify Customer Expensify Admirer

What role would bill.com play in the Expensify to QB cycle?  

How do we prevent duplicate entries if expenses are individually coded and uploaded from expensify to QB, then entered again via bill.com?

How do we tie together credit card charges to purchase orders (aka vendor “bills”) on client invoices and prevent a duplicate entry when we pay the entire credit card bill through bill.com?

Answers

• Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Posts: 40Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach

If you use both Bill.com and QuickBooks Online, you can now send all vendor bills first to QuickBooks Online and then to Bill.com automatically.

1. Connect your policy to QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online Setup Guide
    2. Connect your Bill.com account to QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online/Bill.com Sync
    3. Connect policy to Bill.com with API credentials following the instructions at the top of this article.
    4. Create report with receipts and reimbursable expenses.
    5. Approve your report and export to QuickBooks Online.
    6. Manually sync QuickBooks Online in Bill.com by clicking the sync icon at the top of the screen.
    7. You will now see your bill in Bill.com.

To get your receipts to sync over:

1. In the policy, sync Bill.com
    2. Refresh the bill in Bill.com, you should now see the receipts.

• CPAFirm_WallaceCPAFirm_Wallace Posts: 24Expensify Customer Expensify Admirer

Hmmm..That doesn't answer my question. I asked about preventing duplicate entries. I will ask again - How do we prevent duplicate entries if expenses are individually coded and uploaded from expensify to QB, then entered again via bill.com?

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 566Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@CPAFirm_Wallace With the three way integration, we aren't sending the reports to Bill.com, only to QuickBooks. We only send the receipt images that go with the report that we sent to QuickBooks after QuickBooks sends it to Bill.com. You shouldn't see any duplicate entries.

• amymarielynnamymarielynn Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

@CPAFirm_Wallace We only use Expensify to enter expense reports but once synced to QB, they transfer to bill.com as a bill to be paid. In bill.com, we mark them all as "Paid" outside of Bill.com and select "do not sync" when it asks for more details of the payment. This prevents duplicates in QB. It would be ideal if they did not come over to bill.com but since we have the Expensify configuration setup to generate "bills" and not journal entries, they all sync to bill.com. Hope that helps.

• AlbionAlbion Posts: 1Approved! Accountant

@amymarielynn, I have the same issue as @CPAFirm_Wallace. How are you marking bills as paid outside of bill.com, without sending them through the approval process again? I don't want the CEO to approve corp card expense reports in Expensify and then in bill.com again. I want to make the c/card expense reports as paid without going through our regular approval process. I'm sure there must be an approval flow I can set up but I have had no luck so far. I have raised this with bill.com too - it's plain old stupid that bill.com doesn't recognise corp card expenses from Expensify as 'paid outside of bill.com' automatically.

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 566Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@amymarielynn Are you integrating Expensify with QuickBooks as well?

• amymarielynnamymarielynn Posts: 4Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer
    edited September 9

@Albion and @Nicole Trepanier We did receive a response from Expensify on this issue. *This only applies to reimbursable cash expenses not charges on our corporate credit card. We are now Reimbursing the reports prior to copying to QBO. This will copy the bill and also the related payment over to QBO so it doesn't show as an open bill and therefore does not copy to bill.com. My new flow in Expensify is Final Approve -> Reimburse -> Copy to QB.

With the new flow, the only time it copies to bill.com is when an employee has not setup a bank account and the report remains in the Approved status after I have synced to QBO.

@amymarielynn Awesome! I'm glad you were able to get this resolved! That's correct, the only time non-reimbursable expenses will sync to Bill.com with the three way connection is if you are exporting these as vendor bills. Let me know if you have any other questions!