Why is it so hard to attach documents???

TMF5012TMF5012 Expensify Customer Posts: 6

I have to attach bank /card approval slip (document) for an expense as well as the receipt.

Why can't I just upload it and attach it as a document? Why do I have to stop a smart scan or download and re-upload as a separately. And why can I only do one at a time.

At the moment I am wasting a lot of time.

I would like choose a scan receipt to be a document or receipt.

Am I missing something - or is it a bit of a hack to get documents to work??

Answers

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,030 Expensify Team

Hi @TMF5012

Can you tell me a little more about what happens if you click 'Attach Document' on your report?

And can you tell me a little more about what these supporting documents are for? This will help me think outside the square. 😀

• TMF5012TMF5012 Expensify Customer Posts: 6

Hi,

I scan the receipts. But I also have to attached the Credit Card POS payment slip.

I would like to upload these all at the same time as the receipts and quickly attach them as supporting documentation to the applicable report.

• Rachael HopkinsRachael Hopkins Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 1,030 Expensify Team

Thanks @TMF5012 for that insight! What a lot of people do is actually lay out the two side-by-side and take the pic of both. We only use the details from one for SmartScanning, but they're usually the same anyhow. That way both receipts are captured and clearly visible without the reviewer needing to go on a wild goose chase! 😀

HI

Thanks for the suggestion. But that just doesn't work.

I don't scan every receipt with my phone as it wastes a lot of time when I can just collect all the receipts and slips and scan them to Expensify automatically using my ScanSnap ix 500. And it's done in one go. Or it should be.

So - at the moment I am wasting a lot of time trying to sort the POS Slips from the Receipts.

1. I have had to turn off Smart Scan.
    2. Scan and Upload.
    3. Go to Expensify and click on the ones that should be scanned.
    4. And then attach the POS Slips to the applicable reports.

What I would like is:

1. Smart Scan is on and documents automatically uploaded.
    2. Using the report Document link - click on ALL the applicable Documents to attach in one go.

This doesn't work - because only non scanned or failed scans show when one uses the document attachment link. Why aren't all the open receipts showing? Why isn't there a more efficient solution to selecting documents?

Thanks.

edited April 2019

Hi @TMF5012 That's great that you have your own method, but Expensify is designed to use by SmartScanning paper receipts (at the point of sale) with the Expensify mobile app, and forwarding email receipts to [email protected]

If you prefer to use your own method, and use Expensify in a way differently to how it is designed, I'm afraid that you'll need to experiment with what works best for you.

Maybe one of our lovely community members will have some insight into how they use Expensify differently! 😀

NB: When you SmartScan a receipt it creates a full Expense. Attaching a receipt or document separately will only show images not yet attached to an expense, you will need to upload the image at this point, not by SmartScanning.

• Karisa LattaKarisa Latta Expensify Success Coach - Admin, Expensify Team Posts: 147 Expensify Team

Just to confirm:

• you scan the receipts using a scanner machine and it generates a file for you.
    • this file is sent or loaded onto your computer.
    • is the scan broken down into one file per receipt image or are they all on one file?

If the scanner makes one file per receipt image, you shouldn't be running into any issues with SmartScan processing your receipts.

If the scanner file has all receipt images mushed into one file, you can try a free service called SmallPDF. They have a function that can find images on a PDF file and split them out into separate files.

I'm curious why taking an image of the receipt with the Expensify app is more work than your current process. Do you run into lag or errors when you use the SmartScan feature on the Expensify app? I'd love to try to figure out a way to save you time without having to use workarounds.

I look forward to your reply.

This was my original point. The Expensify system has made it a real pain to select a receipt which has been been scanned and add it instead as a document.

The reason why the scanner is faster is because you have integrated with ScanSnap cloud. So I load up 20 or 30 documents, push one button and that's it - everything will appear in Expensify automatically via ScanSnap cloud.

I hope you will agree that taking pictures and uploading them via the app would take a little longer and require more steps.

So... is this something your tech team could look at?

1. Scansnap Cloud to Expensify.
    2. SmartScan is on and scanning.
    3. Document selection can be either scanned or non-scanned documents from the Expense page.

Thanks

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Expensify Success Coach - Admin Posts: 2,153 Expensify Team

@TMF5012, thanks for clarification! There are some improvements to this on our roadmap and we'll definitely announce them in the Community's Product Updates category once they are live.

I'm sorry I can't share more information now, but please know we're working to improvement the experience.

Cheers!

• KtrippKtripp Expensify Customer Posts: 1

I have the same issue. I have auto import from my credit card, but I am required to attach receipts, because a lot of my purchases are online I get emailed receipts I forward them to expensify and now I have duplicate reports. Why cant you use that downloaded receipt as the pdf file for the supporting document to your autoimported credit card transaction?

• Michelle NiemiMichelle Niemi Expensify Team Posts: 71 Expensify Team

Hi @Ktripp You can forward your PDF receipts to [email protected] from an email associated with your Expensify account. This will then attach to the imported credit card expense with the same date and amount.