Is there a way to upload PDF or other file receipts in mobile app?

stevessteves Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

I don't see any way to upload receipts other than to photograph them at the time of expense creation in the mobile app. Often I receive a PDF or take a screen shot of an e-receipt, and the app seems to offer no way to submit them. I don't want to have to always use a computer to do this. Am I missing something?

If I'm not missing something, it would be helpful if there were an option to upload receipts from dropbox/icloud drive/google drive/photo album/etc.

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,763 Expensify Success Coach
    edited April 3

Hi @steves, if you have a PDF or non-supported file type we recommend using email forwarding to get them into your account. You should be able to forward them from your phone to [email protected], and it's best if you attach individual receipt images (PDFs) rather than a single file of multiple images.

• stevessteves Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer

Submitting receipts by email is glacially slow. It seems to take one or two hours, which is unacceptably slow. It might be a useful feature if it were to take a minute or so, which is not an unreasonable expectation.

Also, I often receive receipts to email addresses other than my work address. Forwarding receipts from other email addresses won’t work, understandably, but does limit the usefulness of email submissions.

It doesn’t seem like a lot to ask to allow submitting receipts from from your photo album or from files saved to a cloud service like google drive, iCloud or Dropbox. Or copy and paste. Every other app in existence allows this. As an iOS developer I know how easy this is to implement, so why can’t you please allow this in your mobile app?

Thanks.

• SophieExpensifySophieExpensify Posts: 5 Expensify Success Coach
    edited April 5

Hello @steves,

If you'd like to forward receipts from multiple email addresses you own, you can add those addresses as Secondary Logins. You are not billed additionally for adding a secondary login.

To add another email address to your account as a Secondary Login, head to Settings > Your Account > Account > Secondary Login.

In terms of submitting receipts from your photo album, can you tell me why uploading receipts from your phone by tapping the green camera icon and select the gallery icon on the left-hand side doesn't work for you? You can do this from the mobile app, or simply drag and drop receipt images when logged into the website version of Expensify.

Regarding the length of time that it takes for a forwarded email takes to upload, I often use Expensify and forwarded expenses are populated into my account within minutes, and this is the case for the majority of our users as well!

If you're regularly experiencing lengthly waiting times, this could also be due to the email client that you're using - but feel free to write into [email protected] so that we can investigate further.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

• dssabodssabo Posts: 1

"can you tell me why uploading receipts from your phone by tapping the green camera icon and select the gallery icon on the left-hand side doesn't work for you? "

I can answer this. The mobile app doesn't seem to consider PDF files to be selectable when choosing from a gallery as suggested. PDF files are listed, but can't be selected. Image files are selectable.

The inability to select PDFs in this way makes expensify much less useful to me.

• stevessteves Posts: 3 Expensify Newcomer
    edited April 13

@SophieExpensify Clicking on the gallery icon did not function when I tried previously - the app did not response. It worked just now when I tried. I can chalk that up to an app quirk, as long as it works in the future. But not being able to upload PDFs or other text documents is a real weakness in the app. Having to send PDFs in an email is roundabout and frankly a bit podunk.

But thank you for your response.

• Sophie_Expensify1Sophie_Expensify1 Posts: 7 Expensify Success Coach

@steves and @dssabo, thank you for clarifying! Would you like for this post to be turned into an Idea so that you can start collecting votes? Ideas that gain some serious traction can end up on our product roadmap! Check out some other ideas that other customers have suggested that have ended up becoming a reality 😄