How to prevent new expenses from getting assigned to a specific report?

How can I either set a default expense report so that all new expenses get assigned there by default OR set it up so that expenses are not assigned to an expense report by default?

Here's why I ask... I have a sole prop client who is tracking mileage and expenses. I set up the connection to QuickBooks Online (QBO) because we want to export the cash and credit card transactions to QBO. However he's not reimbursing himself for mileage; so there's no accounting entry to make. We just need the mileage log in Expensify for tax purposes later.

To ensure the mileage expenses don't come over to QBO, I created an expense report named "2019 Mileage (do NOT submit this report)". That's where all the mileage expenses go. If it's never submitted, we still have the log, and no entry gets created for them in QBO. Good so far.

The issue is that all new expenses are getting automatically added to this "Mileage" report. How can I set the default to go to a different report (preferred) or to no report at all? Thank you.

Answers

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,694 Expensify Success Coach

Hi @ScottSpringer, I hope you're well. Is your client using Scheduled Submit functionality at all? When Scheduled Submit is being used, new expenses are added to the last open and edited report, in this case that's most likely the mileage report.

A couple options would be to separate expenses based on a policy, so everything that is submitted to QBO is reported on "policy A" and mileage is reported on "policy B". The other is to disable Scheduled Submit so expenses are not reported automatically at all.

I'm here for follow up questions, so please @ mention my user name in a response on this thread to continue discussion this.

• Thank you, @Sheena Trepanier. The client is not using Scheduled Submit. Reports are submitted manually.

Can you clarify what you mean by separating expenses by policy? I know you can have multiple policies set up, but I thought only one was active at a time.

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 1,694 Expensify Success Coach

@ScottSpringer, one policy is set as the default for an account, but more than one policy can be used. When a default policy is set, all new reports are automatically created tied to that policy, but the policy on each report can be changed while it's still in the Open state.

To change the policy a report is tied to, you use the policy selector at the top right of the report. (Below)

A brand new policy can be created, or your client could move the mileage report to their Personal policy instead.

• @Sheena Trepanier, I'm not sure I fully understand. I can set up a 2nd policy and then assign it to the expense report for mileage. As long as I keep the 1st policy as the default, then all new expense reports will be created using that policy.

However, will Expensify know to assign downloaded credit card transactions to the current open report using the default policy? Or will it still keep putting those in the mileage report? I'm not clear on how Expensify will know to put mileage expense in the Mileage report and all other expenses in the current open report for the default policy.

Thanks again for your help.