Need more than 2 custom fields

jenrobertsonINVjenrobertsonINV Posts: 24Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Note: The drop down contains a selection for "Product updates and ideas" but it can't be selected. Also - why can't I add a tag for "custom fields"? The four popular tags are not useful at all.

Not a question, just a comment to say that Expensify needs to add additional custom fields. We are already using our two for Employee ID and Subsidiary, but want to add department. We used to have it as a Tag, but we do not want it to be a user-entered field so we removed it (people don't know their department, or choose a department that is not their own thinking they can cross-charge, which they can't).

Thanks!

Answers

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 753Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Hi @jenrobertsonINV! Our community is a relatively new addition to our support options so we are looking to bring better features and tagging options in the near future.

I took a look at your account and I noticed that you aren't connected to an accounting package so I was curious what accounting software you currently use.

Report fields might be a good option in this case since you don't want to have the employees select the department on each expense. They would need to select it just once and it would default to that department each time they create a new report. You can also set it for them if they submit it with the wrong one and you won't need to go through each expense to correct it.

• jenrobertsonINVjenrobertsonINV Posts: 24Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Hi Nicole-

We are working on integrating NetSuite now.

The point is that we don't want them to have the ability to enter or change them at all. And also, we need to be able to manage them via the People upload when they change departments. We don't want them self-entering because it may not be correct.

Thanks!

-Jennie

• Nicole TrepanierNicole Trepanier Posts: 753Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

@jenrobertsonINV I think the best thing to do would be to manage your departments on the employee record in NetSuite. The great part about that is departments, locations, and classes all have the option to be applied to your reports upon export to NetSuite without them needing to be entered in Expensify at all.

• jenrobertsonINVjenrobertsonINV Posts: 24Expensify Customer Expensify Newcomer

Thank you! Regardless, I could see that having more than 2 custom fields would be useful for many reasons - also for others that don't have an accounting integration. It seems like a pretty easy fix. Four would be better - gives some flexibility. Ex. Uploading the person's title so I don't have to go look them up in a different system to see if they're a manager/Director/VP, etc.

Be forewarned, I've got a giant list of improvements I've been logging on my end so I'm going to log them all in Community when I finally get some time to do it. We may become good friends... ;)

Thank you!

-Jennie

• Sheena TrepanierSheena Trepanier Posts: 2,042Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach

Thanks @jenrobertsonINV, I'll love seeing the ideas you add to the Idea category and I hope that we can implement some of them down the road.