Admin Onboarding Webinar Q&A — April 17th, 2019

IsabelaStisserIsabelaStisser Posts: 189Expensify Success Coach Expensify Success Coach
edited April 18 in Webinars

Today’s recording is here and the guide is here.

#Setup Tasks

Can I assign certain users the use of particular categories?

As it stands, there isn't a way to differentiate which coding options (categories/tags/etc.) are visible to users who belong to the same policy. By default, all coding options available on a policy will be visible to anyone on the policy.

That said, it sounds like you might want to consider setting up multiple policies for your users. Reason being, you can create a policy for each department or cohort of users and add your desired coding options based on the policy, allowing you to keep things separate.

Can I upload a CSV CC statement from my bank?

Personal cards can be imported via CSV. More info here.

How to merge 2 people who have set up their own accounts into one account with me as the admin?

You will need to create a policy first and then invite the users. A Policy Admin can invite users to join their policy by navigating to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > People. From there, just click the green Invite button to send an invite.

I have a question about GL accounts. Where do we add GL account numbers to a category if we are not linking our accounting system to Expensify?

Unless GL codes are included in the actual account name, these will not be visible when using categories or tags in Expensify or on reports.

#Expenses

As a copilot, can reimbursable and non-reimbursable expenses be submitted on one report for your person or do these need to be on 2 reports?

They can belong to the same report.

Can we search by report #?

If you hit "Shift" + "G" on your keyboard while logged into your web account and enter the Report ID number, you will be brought directly to that specific report!

Creating a title format - Was confused on how to set up template. Can you please walk though again

You can find instructions here.

Do you have a step by step resource on how to submit a report?

You can find more instructions here.

Does the user marking reports as reimbursed need to be a Policy Admin?

No, the user does not need to be a policy admin in order to mark reports as reimbursed.

Can receipts/expense reports be stored/saved on computer?

You can download receipts as part of the PDF report that they are included in. To export a report with receipt images to a PDF, open up the report in your web-based Expensify account. In the toolbar on the left-hand side of the report, click on the "PDF" icon — once complete, the PDF copy will be saved to your computer. Check out this help doc for more information on PDF reports.

Alternatively, you can save receipts to your computer from the website by opening up an individual expense and clicking the download button in the bottom right corner. You can also use a custom export template to export all of your expense information including direct links to receipts.

If "By Trip" is selected, how does Expensify determine the frequency.

By trip: Expenses are automatically added to an open report with expenses less than 2 days prior within it. Should two days elapse without a new expense being created, the report will be submitted the evening of the second day. Subsequent expenses will create a new report. (Note: the '2 day' period is a date period, not a period of 48 hours).

If a receipt is submitted by one user can that be reallocated to another user if they had purchased goods using the second person's card?

No, receipts cannot be transferred between users’ accounts.

Is there a way to set up expenses so they are linked per trip? For example if several employees travel to the same conference is there a way to organize/track that so we can track/report expenses per trip category?

Yes, you can create a category in your policy so employees that went to the conference can choose when creating expenses. Instructions here.

We need to export based on category and input into our ERP system.

Please take a look at this help article for instructions.

What is eReceipts enabled?

eReceipts are full digital replacements of their paper equivalents for purchases of $75 or less. More info here.

# Managing People

Can different group members have different types of accounts? Ex. I, as the administrator would have the Control, and the employees that are not as active get the collect package.

That’s not possible unless you create another policy that’s not Control and add them to that policy.

Do the individuals specify which policy when they submit the expense? Or is that just on the admin side?

Hi! Users can select the specific policy they would like to work under, but a Domain Admin can restrict them to specific policies. More info here.

I want to change my "reimburser." How do I change how it goes to for reimbursement once an expense is approved?

Please find instructions in this help article.

Once a user is removed from a policy, will all their expenses and reports be deleted?

When a user is removed from a policy, all reports from this person on this policy will still be available and searchable, so you will not lose any data. Open (unsubmitted) reports will be the only reports that will be taken off the policy and removed from the admin's view. The employee will also still be able to view all submitted reports in their account, but the policy will simply appear as "(not shared)" for the reports that existed on the policy.

Please note that removing a user from a policy only does not delete their account. It will simply disable their ability to use the policy. To remove a user from a policy, just simply go to Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > People. Check the box on the left side of the name of the user you would like to remove and then click Remove.

SO it is better for me as the accountant clerk to be the Owner of the account, and adding the employees.. instead of being co-pilot for everybody?

Yes!

With "Submit and Approve" can you assign different people to be approvers?

No, you would need to select advance approval.

# Billing & Ownership

Am I able to see the billing info if I am a copilot? Is a copilot also an admin by default?

If you are the copilot for a billing owner then you will be able to view that information.

Are there additional fees to transfer some users over to a new policy?

As long as the Billing Owner is the same, you can create multiple policies without any additional cost. You'll still be charged based on the number of active users across your policies. Regardless of how many policies a user has activity on, you will only be charged once for them.

I have been added to my employers policy. I originally had a free trial period but have now been prompted to make a payment. I am a policy admin. Will each employee that I add to the policy have to add separate payment? How do I add them to a policy without a prompt sent to them to add payment?

Employees will not be prompted to pay for a subscription if they belong to a Group policy. If you're the billing/policy owner you're the one responsible for billing in Expensify.

Is more than 1 policy included in your annual subscription? For example can we have a travel and a general policy for $9/user?

As long as the Billing Owner is the same, you can create multiple policies without any additional cost. You'll still be charged based on the number of active users across your policies. Regardless of how many policies a user has activity on, you will only be charged once for them.

Is the fee structure per policy?

Expensify billing is based on active users. An active user is anyone that has edited (created, submitted, edited, approved, exported, deleted etc.) report data on a company policy. Owning multiple policies or submitting multiple reports in one month will not affect your billing. More info here.

Is the subscription per policy or can you have an active user in 2 different policies?

Will employee receive an email from Expensify stating that they have a flag that needs to be fixed? What if the reports are not completed? I assume it will not submit on the date?

When Scheduled Submit is enabled, only reported expenses that do not have any policy violations will be automatically submitted. Expenses that do have violations will stay behind on a new open report.

Before the expenses with violations can be submitted, the report creator will need to navigate to their Inbox in Expensify and select Fix Violations. These expenses will then be submitted automatically after the violations have been fixed.

That said, keep in mind that adding a description to the expense overrides the violation and allows a report to be submitted.

So if you have one user that imports multiple credit cards, are you still billed for one user?

Yep, you would still be billed for one user!

What is considered an active user? Can we set up say 20 users but subscribe to 15 users knowing that not everyone will login every month?

Expensify billing is based on active users. Expensify defines an active user as anyone that has edited (i.e. created, submitted, approved, exported, etc.) expense data on a Policy in a given month.

Copilots taking report actions on behalf of another user are counted as separate actors. This means the Copilot is an active user in addition to the people whose Expensify accounts they are operating.

With that said, note that each active user can submit an unlimited number of expense reports in that month at no extra charge.

Will the annual subscription automatically size down as well as up as the number of users changes?

In the context of an annual subscription model, the term "active user" determines how many people are counted towards the open pool of seats in your subscription. If you have fewer users than what is allocated by your annual subscription, there will be no change in this amount unless you go over this number.

If you have more users than are allocated in your annual subscription, you can elect to pay for them at the Pay-per-use rate. This means you can have both Pay-per-use and Annual users on your monthly billing, and helps provide you the Pay-per-usability needed when users are only active once or twice a year.

To make sure you're paying for extra active users at the Pay-per-use rate, you'd want to disable Auto Increase Subscription Size. This can be done in the policy owner's Settings > Policies > [Subscriptions] > Show Details.

# Integrations

Can you connect to QB even though I have been using Expensify for a year?

Yes, you can connect your policy to QB anytime.

How do you add GL accounts to categories for journal entries?

In order to see GL codes in Expensify, you would need to update the account name to include its GL Code. This means, if you just want to see the code, instead of a category/account name, you would just add the GL Code to the account name on the integration side. Once completed, you will want to sync your connection to import any changes to the account list.

How does the integration help with departments?

It depends! As an example, you can set up departments as tags for users to choose when creating their expenses.

I see SAP as an accounting integration option, but not SAP By Design, Can Expensify integrate with SAP By Design as well?

You can see a full list of our direct integrations here. However, you can still use our Custom Export option to integrate with most accounting platforms, as long as you have a Control Policy in Expensify.

Using the spreadsheet you'll upload to your accounting platform as a guide, you can recreate that spreadsheet with the editor found in Settings > Your Account > Preferences or Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Export Formats.

Our ERP system is 15 years old and will most likely not integrate with Expensify.

You can still use our Custom Export option to integrate with most accounting platforms, as long as you have a Control Policy in Expensify.

Using the spreadsheet you'll upload to your accounting platform as a guide, you can recreate that spreadsheet with the editor found in Settings > Your Account > Preferences or Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Export Formats.

What if my accounting integration is not an option?

You can still use our Custom Export option to integrate with most accounting platforms, as long as you have a Control Policy in Expensify.

# Company Cards & Domain Control

You can only set up the company cc's if you have the domain control correct?

That's correct!