Third-Party Integration Support Methodology

Options
Sheena Trepanier
Sheena Trepanier Expensify Team, Approved! Accountant, Expensify Student Ambassador Posts: 1,362 Expensify Team
edited February 2021 in 3rd party integrations

Are you interested in building an integration with Expensify or already have and want to know what resources are available to you? Congrats, you’re in the right place! This post lays out our support methodology for anybody who has built or is interested in building a customer-facing integration with Expensify using our Integration Server API.

I want to build an integration with Expensify. How do I get started?

The best place to start is with our Integration Server documentation, which contains details about our public API. If you have more questions about building an integration with Expensify, head over to the API Resources section of the Expensify Community. Finally, the Expensify Community itself is an awesome place to gather early feedback about a potential integration and bounce ideas off of other Expensify users!

I’ve already built an integration with Expensify. How do I promote it?

Time to spread awareness! Based on historical success, here are a few next steps that we recommend:

1. Create a dedicated landing page on your website (with Expensify branding as you see fit) to market the integration. At a minimum, we recommend including: A brief overview of how the integration works, the benefits of using the integration, an integration setup guide, and guidance for how someone can contact you for support or integration setup (if necessary).
  2. Post about your integration in the Third Party Integrations section of the Expensify Community so fellow users can learn more about what you’ve built, ask questions, and leave feedback.
  3. Promote the integration across your social media channels. Be sure to tag @expensify in your social content and use our #YouWerentBornToDoExpenses hashtag. This will increase discovery and visibility with our audiences.

Why doesn’t Expensify directly promote third-party built integrations?

Our vision is to create a level playing field for all integrations to thrive in our ecosystem. We have yet to create an online marketplace specific to third-party built integrations. For the time being, we won’t promote one partner over another on a one-off basis in the interest of fairness.

How do I create an Expensify account to test my integration?

If you do not have an Expensify account you can sign up for one at expensify.com. While Expensify does not charge any developer fees to build integrations using our self service API, we also don't provide dedicated test accounts. You can create and use as many of your own Expensify accounts for testing purposes, but you will have to pay for them under one of our group or individual plans. Details on these plans and pricing can be found here.

I want Expensify to integrate with my app, service, or API. What’s required for Expensify to consider investing resources to build an integration?

We strongly encourage those that are looking for Expensify to build an integration with their app, service, or API to first evaluate if the integration is one that can be built using our self-service Integration Server API. Under certain circumstances, Expensify will build integrations if they’re consistently requested by a substantial portion of our existing users.

Have a question that’s not addressed here? Let us know your thoughts below by adding a comment. Thanks!

Related Articles