Company Card Admin Webinar Q&A - May 1, 2019

Katie OswaltKatie Oswalt Posts: 84Expensify Success Coach - Admin Expensify Success Coach
edited May 2 in Webinars

Today’s recording is here and the guide is here .

Cards

Will this work for manually imported transactions if credit card feeds are not available?

The Company Cards feature is only referring to company cards that are being imported via a feed or by directly connecting the card with the login credentials for the admin account for the cards.

Can separate employees' cards transactions be separated out?

Yes, which is one of the best reasons to use the Company Cards feature! When your cards are managed here, they will be assigned to each specific cardholder and those transactions will flow to that respective user's account. The Domain Admin, however, will always have full visibility using the Reconciliation Dashboard so that you never lose track of employee expenses.

Can this be used for both purchase cards as well as corporate credit cards?

Yes, as long as we support the banking institution and card type.

If our company chose the Collect plan, would it include everything in the flow chart you shared minus the reconciliation dashboard?

No, you will need to have a Control plan in order to have any of the Company Card functionality because it is all behind Domain Control. Domain Control is a Control plan feature.

Domain Control

I just signed up, how do I set up an initial domain?

These directions will walk you threw how to take control of your domain.

What should I do if i have no control over the domain? I work for an accounting firm. The client has hired us to set up Expensify. How should I go about doing that?

The second option mentioned here in this article will be your best bet (contacting our support team). Please make sure to provide required documentation that ties your name to the company’s domain. This means you will likely need to CC a C-level employee on the email to give you explicit approval. Taking control of a domain in Expensify means that you have a very high level of control over all accounts, so as a security matter, we have to make sure that we are giving the correct person this role! :)

Is there any way to use this without verifying a domain? Our employees have different domain addresses? Also what is the purpose of the domain verifying?

You do need to have Domain Control enabled because Company Cards are entirely managed behind the domain. You may need to verify multiple domains in your case.

Integrations

Will these sync to QuickBooks in the appropriate credit card accounts?

Yes, you can choose to assign each card to its respective account. Directions on how to do this can be found here.

I use QB Desktop - does it connect with that or only the QB Online version?

You can connect to either! The directions for your integration for QuickBooks Desktop can be found here.

Do the reimbursable and non-reimbursable enter QuickBooks differently?

Yep! Depending on how you have configured your export settings under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Connections > Configure > Export tab.

Does the chart of accounts always update when exporting/syncing to QuickBooks? In the past, when we have toggled accounts off, every time we sync to QuickBooks, they end up all being enabled after the sync. Is there a way to export without syncing COA each time?

Hmm that doesn't sound like the expected behavior, could you please email [email protected] regarding this issue!

Can I transfer to Bill.com in order to pay the credit card company?

Yes, we do integrate with bill.com. To learn more, check out this help doc.

When you upload to your accounting software, does it just make a journal entry or does it go to AP? And can the receipts also be uploaded?

This will depend on how you have configured your export settings under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Connections > Configure > Export tab, once you have connected the software.

Can names of categories be changed in Expensify if linked to QB desktop?

Yes, titles can be edited in the policy settings under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Categories once imported to make them more user-friendly for your submitters.

Can you have all of the credit cards export to one account on the COA's in QBO? My company has one credit card account but has several different cards within that account (i.e. all of the expenses for the cards show up on one bank statement)

Sure can! You will select the default credit card account for the exported transactions under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Connections > Configure, rather than assigning each card to a separate account.

General

When the employee submits an expense, will it automatically categorize the expense based on the receipt uploaded or will they have to do that manually?

live answeredThey will need to do so manually, but after awhile, similar merchants will learn via “implicit” categorization what the normal category is for that expense. Also, expense rules can be set up if a frequently-visited merchant should always be categorized a certain way. Submitters can set these up (individually) using directions here.

When are eReceipts generated? Seems some company card expenses generate them and others do not.

eReceipts are created for expenses imported directly from a bank or credit card. These are full digital replacements of their paper equivalents for purchases under $75 only, but we can’t create an eReceipt for purchases on lodging, for example at hotels and motels.

What happens if a person uploads a meal expense and it is a penny difference with the corporate card?

They will only merge if the amounts match to the penny.

We are switching domains. Can we merge the old account with the new before we have changes in the company card feed from our bank?

Sure! We can help with this domain migration. If you write into [email protected], we can walk you through this and hopefully save you some time!

So do people have to find the credit card transaction in Expensify and add a receipt to it then submit?

No. SmartScanned/emailed receipts will automatically merge with their respective company card transaction once that posted transaction has been imported into Expensify.

Is it possible to look at some of the help docs without signing up first?

Of course! docs.expensify.com is not behind any sort of login :)

Can you show the process of setting up different policies?

This is not included in the Company Cards webinar. You will likely want to attend the Admin webinar. You can register for upcoming webinars here: Webinars

Can Expensify be used simply for people to scan and upload receipts from their phone and sent to me with the GL account (category) to assign it to?

Yes! These categories will be selected from the drop-down menu on the employee’s expense when they create or edit it. The categories are dependent on each policy, and will be imported from your accounting system (or set up manually if you are not using a direct accounting integration).

Can different users see different categories by setting up a different profile? When I went to set up a different profile it appeared that there is an additional monthly charge?

This is not ideal, and will certainly mean a second charge because Expensify billing is based on active users. This would mean that they are recognized as two different users. You will want to set up different policies that hold different categories, then invite the employee to both policies (which will not be an additional charge). Depending on the policy they are using to create expenses, the corresponding categories and tags will populate for their coding

Can a PDF of receipts be emailed to [email protected] or only emails that have the data inside the email as part of the html?

Yes, PDFs can certainly be forwarded to [email protected]!