Admin Onboarding Webinar Q&A — May 14th, 2019

Ariel GreenAriel Green Posts: 61Expensify Team Expensify Success Coach

Today's recording is here, and the guide is here.

Setup Tasks

What happens if an employee has a company credit card (nonreimbursable) and other cash expenses to be reimbursed? What default should you use in the rules?

If you are importing your company cards via Domain Control, you can have card expenses default to nonreimbursable, while cash expenses would likely need to be defaulted to reimbursable.

Expenses

Are you able to change the currency you report in?

Yes! You can make this change via Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Expenses > Expense Basics.

If I have a US employee traveling to Canada, can they enter their expenses in CAD but be reimbursed in USD?

As long as your policy currency is USD, they will be reimbursed in USD regardless of the currency in which the expense was incurred.

If an employee makes a claim in a foreign currency, can they adjust the rate (e.g., to match their credit card statement) - or is the exchange rate fixed globally?

No, Expensify uses Open Exchange rates. However, if your employee imports their card, the amount from the card will replace the calculated amount.

Is there any way of assigning expenses to customers/projects for billable expenses?

Yes. If you are using an accounting integration, you will set these up via Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections > Accounting Integrations.

If you are not, you can set these up as a tag via Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Tags.

Managing People

Are policies unique to an account? Or more like a template that can be applied to multiple accounts?

A policy is created within a single user's account, but multiple users can be added as members of the policy. Each user does not need a separate policy.

Billing & Ownership

I have 52 people in my company. However, only about five of them will submit a receipt each month. I want everyone to have access to the account in case someone takes a taxi. Does that mean that I need to pay for all 52 people per month?

If you use Pay-per-use Billing, you would only be charged for active users each month. If you have an Annual Subscription, you would be charged for the number of users you have selected in your subscription, regardless of activity.

I just don't want to pay $108 a year for someone who might only submit one receipt in a year. But I still want them to be able to use the platform so that we are organized.

Got it! It sounds like Pay-per-use Billing might be a good option for you. You would pay $18 per active user each month, but in months without activity, you would not pay anything for those users.

Integrations

Are the policies where the accountant would go to set up proper GL coding for QBO feeds?

Yes, that's correct!

Do nonreimbursable expenses integrate into the accounting system?

Yes. You can choose how you would like nonreimbursable expenses to export via Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy Name] > Connections > Accounting Integrations > [Your Accounting Software] > Configure .

Do you have to match your expense categories with your accounting system?

Yes, if you are using an accounting integration, categories MUST be imported from your accounting software. This is not a setting that can be opted out.

What if we need to sync expensify with QuickBooks Online? Do we need to create categories/expenses EXACTLY the same as what's in QuickBooks?

No, when you sync with QuickBooks, your categories will pull in directly from QuickBooks.

Company Cards & Domain Control

All our employees have the same domain email account. Does Domain Control mean that employees don't need to create their own account to be connected with the employer Expensify account (for both reimbursable and company card purchases)?

No, to create an expense report, all employees will need their own Expensify account.

So the Domain Control is more for company card management?

Domain Control encompasses company cards as well as other advanced features. Learn more about those features here.

Advanced

Can approvals be routed by expense category instead of employee?

No, this is not possible.

Can we include several categories within the same group? i.e., Group Airlines contains categories: Airfare / Airfare-Onboarding / Airfare-Sales Kick Off

You cannot create "groups" of categories. However, you can title them in such a way that they group together via alphabetization. For example, one category would be "Airfare - Airfare Onboarding," and another would be "Airfare - Sales Kick Off."

Can you copy a policy if only 1 element needs amending?

Absolutely! When you duplicate a policy, you'll be able to choose which settings you do/do not want to be copied over.

If an approver is on holiday, is there a quick way of redirecting to another approver?

Yes! You can set a Vacation Delegate via Settings > Your Account > Account Details > Vacation Delegate. More on that here.

When will VAT on mileage claims be available?

I don't have an ETA for you, but this is something we are working on! We'll let you know as soon as this feature is available.